Complaint Review: CafePress

• Submitted: Tue, November 20, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, May 22, 2008

• Reported By:milwaukee Wisconsin
CafePress
950 Tower Lane, Suite 600 Foster City, California U.S.A.

CafePress Rip Off Scam Foster City California

*Consumer Comment: Oh come on!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Another variable of gimme-gimme

CafePress promotes itself as a place to express yourself with artwork designs you can sell to others through free shops. CafePress however does not pay its commission payable timely and they give you nothing but the run around when you ask why. CafePress taunts itself as a believer in free expression however they censor their community information boards to stop people from telling others about their scam not to pay commission timely. You call and you get the run around, transferred and then disconnected. You email and you get response that you have to wait 30 additional days plus pay service fees to get a check reissued. This has been going on and getting worse all year long.

You need to wait as it is 45 days for thier "lag time" to get paid and I've been waiting 10-15 day beyond that for the check to arrive in the mail. Shopkeepers aren't making money as the ads promise. Its a very hostile environment with other shops that steal artwork that CafePress does nothing to stop. Designing and selling tshirts on CafePress is lingo for we take your designs, sell them as ours, give no credit and don't pay you. Please don't buy or sell with CafePress.

Cafepressshop
milwaukee, Wisconsin

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/20/2007 03:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CafePress/Foster-City-California-94404/CafePress-Rip-Off-Scam-Foster-City-California-285765. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CafePress

Oh come on!

AUTHOR: Csg - (U.S.A.)

I have been selling on Cafepress since 2004 and have NEVER had a problem being paid on time.

I think the negative comments about CafePress are incredibly unfair! They have the BEST customer service around and are always willing to listen if you have any concerns. I have had nothing but great interactions with many of the employees there.

I cannot understand the seething nastiness shown by the original poster. They must have had terrible designs that didn't sell, or are possbly a member of a site that competes with CafePress making underhanded attempts to dis-credit CafePress. There is NO other explanation for that ridiculous post.

But please, leave Cafepress to those of us who work hard and appreciate all that they offer. Your designs obviously stink and thus they had no business being listed on Cafepress in the first place.

AUTHOR: Warehouselarry - (U.S.A.)

I've been selling my custom designs through CafePress for over 2 years. I earn between $100 - $300 per month off of my sales and I am ALWAYS paid on time, including affiliate sales. I have no complaints about CafePress and will continue using their services for many years to come.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Another variable of gimme-gimme

AUTHOR: Hmm? - (U.S.A.)

Only in America, can someone with negligible computer skills, using someone else's website and someone else's product, as well as someone else's advertising system become rich.

I am a former employee of CafePress, which I feel is a marvel for such a lazy, unmotivated world. Say you have a unique design, concept, or slogan. You want to put it on shirts. You don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars present for a print press. You lack storage space to stock the millions of t-shirts, bags, and buttons you'll sell. You're so brilliant, you stumble across the website and wonder why you didn't think of the idea.

That's how CafePress works. It gives people with no social or work-related skill the ability to become rich. Sure, there are some catches, but no one is going to make you rich while idly sitting by.

CafePress charges money for each item, which is paid to them after a sale (this is important... Very important... Read on). Those crooks!

CafePress markets your site, within their massive umbrella network. Bastards!

CafePress charges a low, low, low monthly fee. What a gyp!

CafePress has an award-winning customer service team and some of the finest policies for returns and exchanges around. You don't like the way your shirt fits? Fine. Pick out another one or get your cash back, but don't bother sending it back to us. It was our fault anyway for sending you something you picked out, paid for, and didn't like two weeks later. Most of CafePress' customers are return customers, ensuring CP money, yes, but ensuring a steady stream of traffic to your website.

Now, I'm going to stop being cute and begin being brutally honest. Your shop probably isn't making money because your designs are terrible, your prices are outrageous, or you are not tagging correctly. For dramatic effect, I will use capitals: IF YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT NOT MAKING MONEY, YOU ARE MOST LIKELY THE REASON.

I worked there for a year before I moved onto another company, closer to home. I was a Shopkeeper expert, meaning I knew all the inner-workings and trade tricks utilized by the guys who make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Yes, there are quite a few, and I've spoken to them on the phone or via e-mail.

There are a few constants between all top shopkeepers: their prices are competitive for online shopping, their designs are first-rate, and they bust their asses marketing their sites through AdWords and SEO.

Any moron (see above) can open a Basic shop, put on some Clipart, fill in "doggy" and "doggies" as tags. I've spoken to them. They're terrible, and the only way to help them is to be brutally honest.

"Why isn't my site making money?"

"Why am I not coming up in Google?"

The simple answer is because you do not know what you're doing and you're lazy.

And you have the nerve to complain about a company that is giving you money in exchange for a few clicks? You have to wait 45 days for a check to be sent, and another couple weeks for transit? Awww. I don't mean to burst your bubble, but your Clipart doggy designs won't keep the rats in your apartment from sneaking into the cradle.

Ever hear of exchanges and returns? You go to a store, buy a shirt, how long do you have to exchange it or return it? What's that? 30 days? Bingo!

Now, contemplate this: If CafePress cut you a check the same week you made, say, $100 worth of sales, and then, oh, I don't know, five days later, your customers decided to return their crappy, pixelated Clipart-adorned shirts back to CafePress, they would be out of the money.

If you make a sale on December 1st, the money clears in your account on January 1st. On January 1st, a check will be cut. On January 15th, once, you know, a company with millions of shopkeepers processes all their accounts, your check is mailed out. If you don't get it by February 15th, another one is issued. I live a thousand miles away from where the check is sent, and I get my checks within three days.

Because CafePress, despite being a multi-million dollar company, is an online company, unfortunately it is a favourite victim of mail and check fraud. However, before they can send you out a replacement check, they need to make sure that it has not been cashed. If you owned the company, you would do the exact same thing. It's called being thorough. And being thorough, unfortunately for you, costs money sometimes. Ever try calling your bank to get one check cleared? Imagine doing that for a thousand people, so the especially whiney ones do not go to online forums to disparage you. They need to buy diapers, ya know.

Speaking of diapers, you could use one. You're made of what one contains.