Complaint Review: calvert's express

• Reported By: darkeyes — Saint Peters Missouri United States of America
calvert's express
3737 Mexico Road Saint Charles, Missouri United States of America

calvert's express Tried to scam me for $864.00 Saint Charles, Missouri

*Author of original report: Say what you want

*Consumer Comment: Maybe not ripped off

Calvert's Express is a total scam. I went there 3 weeks ago for an oil change and to have a muffler noise issue checked out. I was told that I was in need of a complete new exhaust system and a catalytic conveter to the tune of $864.00. I found it kinda fishy considering I have a 2007 auto and couldn't imagine how it could be possible that I needed an entirely new exhaust system SoOo I decided against having the repair. I took my car to another shop yesterday and was told I only needed the flex pipe that is attached to the catalytic conveter the part was 99.95 and labor 50.00. CALVERTS EXPRESS IS A SCAM!!!! Thank God I didn't just go with what the worker there said was wrong with my car. I will never use them again...

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/04/2011 08:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/calverts-express/Saint-Charles-Missouri-63303/calverts-express-Tried-to-scam-me-for-86400-Saint-Charles-Missouri-795285. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on calvert's express

Say what you want

AUTHOR: darkeyes - (United States of America)

Sorry - but they did try to rip me off. The man at the shop implied that the catalytic converter on my car had been screwed with. He made it sound like someone had tried to steal it or had stolen it. He said it had been cut. Secondly an emissions problem is the consumers problem. It is not a shops problem and no one is going to take a garages liscense for replacing a flex pipe that is sold by GM. If you could not just replace a flex pipe then they wouldn't make that part available for sale. You would have to purchase the entire exhaust system if that is what the epa required. It's disrespectful to imply that calvert's express was not trying to con me when clearly they were. You were not present when I recieved an estimate of $864.00 for a perfectly good catalytic converter and exhaust system. The second shop let me also know that replacing  my exhaust and converter would actually run around $500 so even in the instance that I had needed that done I was still getting scammed by $364.00. I am glad that I got a second opinion I have a family to take care of and I don't do it by making up fake repairs and ripping people off.

Maybe not ripped off

AUTHOR: Nonstick_milk - (United States of America)

I can not personally defend the garage. I know nothing about them. But I don't think you were intentionally being ripped off by the first garage.

Let me explain why. There are so many new laws out there addressing exhaust concerns. No one is sure what is right or what is illegal. Trust me, if someone doesn't know, a hefty fine awaits them.

I have been in the auto repair business since 1983. Within the last few years, exhaust laws have changed faster than I have changed underwear. In order to remain compliant, a garage dealing with an exhaust complaint is likely to reccommend repairs from the pipe back. This isn't to rip you off, it is to protect their own interest.

You are d**n lucky to find someone to risk their auto repair licenses to simply replace a flex pipe. Trust me; it won't be long before the EPA goes up this guy's a**