- Report: #1115751
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: care.com
care.com care.com is in violation of auto-renewal laws internet
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
The auto-renewing subscription employed by Care.com is in violation of California SB 340, which took effect on December 1, 2010. The California Negative Option Law was specifically implemented to end the practice of ongoing charging of consumer credit cards without the consumers’ explicit consent. Care.com is inviolation of multiple aspects.
A copy of the Legislation is readily available at leginfo.ca.gov. (“Business and Professions Code Section 17600-17606”)
Many states in addition to California have implemented similar legislation.
Specific violations include:
- (c): “Clear and conspicuous”...means in lager type than the surrounding text…”
The copy of the webpage provided by the merchant readily shows that the type referring to automatic renewal is not larger than the surrounding text.
- (a) (1): “It shall be unlawful for any business making an automatic renewal or continuous service offer to a consumer in this state to...fail to present the automatic renewal offer terms or continuous service offer terms in a clear and conspicuous manner…”
The wording used by Care.com is not compliant with “clear and conspicuous”. The term “subscription” is generally reserved for the purchase of ongoing services, not a single purchase, therefore customers purchasing “1-month” are not purchasing a “subscription”. “Subscription” is located under the “3-Month” and “12-Month” plans (“subscriptions”). Because a customer purchasing “1-month” is not purchasing a “subscription”, the automatic renewal plan is not invoked.
Unfortunately, Care.com is the subject of literally hundreds of similar complaints. It would behoove them to ammend current business practices in accordance with the law.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/15/2014 12:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/carecom/internet/carecom-carecom-is-in-violation-of-auto-renewal-laws-internetnbsp-1115751. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.