• Report: #731933

• Reported By: Lyria — oceanside Internet United States of America
care.com

care.com scam! Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Reply from Care.com

I saw that they claimed to offer. Free basic membership to service providers looking for a job. When I realized my membership meant they were sending me job postings 1 week after it was posted I checked the information they had about increasing my chances of being hired. I finally decided to use their background check even though I initially didn't because it requires giving credit card info. Online. I tried to go back and delete my credit card info. From my profile but it didn't offer that option. When I contacted them vis e-mail they responded by saying that I was charged for a background check, as if I didn't know. Then they said that I have the FREE basic membership and that I will be charged a monthly fee unless I upgrade! Heh?!!!what?!!!! So I cancelled my account after replying to them with what I thought about their nonsense. The only thing is I don't know if they still have my credit card info. And social security number I had to put in for the background check. Is there a way to make sure they don't have it. I don't know if they'll even refund me my 8.00 dollars from the background check. I have to go cancel my card at the bank now and pull out any money before they get any of it. What a hassle!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/22/2011 10:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/carecom/internet/carecom-scam-Internet-731933. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on care.com

Reply from Care.com

AUTHOR: Martha@Care.com - (United States of America)

Hi Lyria,

I am so sorry to hear that you have encountered some confusion regarding our website and policies. Please be assured that Care.com can be an entirely free service for someone like yourself who would like to apply for jobs. We offer a free basic membership, which allows you to complete a full profile, apply for jobs on the site and get hired! There is no cost for
this service.

In your case, it sounds like you opted to run the background check on yourself, which costs a one-time fee of $8.  Please note that paying for your own background check is not a requirement on the site and you are more than able to wait for someone interested in hiring you to request that you run the background check instead. In these cases, you would be able to run the background check for free! We also offer an option to be a Featured Provider, which costs $10/month until canceled. This is also just a feature we offer and
not required.

Finally, please be assured that we take the safety and security of our site extremely seriously. All information that is entered into the Background Check field is encrypted into our site and not saved. None of your personal information including your Social Security Number is made public to anyone on our website.

If you have any further concerns or would like to speak with a representative, please feel free to call us at 1-877-227-3115.

whereas