Complaint Review: CAROLINA KUSTOMS

• Updated: Wed, February 23, 2011

• Reported By: richard — milwaukie Oregon United States of America
CAROLINA KUSTOMS
PORTLAND, Oregon United States of America

CAROLINA KUSTOMS DAKOTA KUSTOMS LONNIE CRAPPY CUSTOMS,CRAPPY WORK PORTLAND, Oregon

*Consumer Comment: Carolina Kustoms is the best

*Consumer Comment: Carolina Kustoms /Dakota Customs

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Carolina Kustoms

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Carolina Kustoms

well heres the storie and i would like your full attention.

first off i met lonnie threw a friend who had a car done by him . it was a nova. it looked pretty nice and i needed the car done. it was called dakota customs at the time. i have a 62 gmc pick up that i gave him to do. he had it for quite a while and i kept giving him money. he was working out of a 1 car garage. my other friend named fred who live at the coast went and seen him also the same day. fred was against it, but i did it anyways. fred had his truck done by jj kustoms, but we will get to that in a minute. it took over a year and $21,000.00 and my truck is still not right. the tail gate is really wavy
and the rust areas are bubbling back threw.my friend fred went to jj kustoms and had his truck done . it went to sema and it took 3rd place at a national event! i felt angry, because lonnie did not do what he said he would do. do not go to carolina customs, or should i say crappy customs! run as far away as you can!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2011 08:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CAROLINA-KUSTOMS/PORTLAND-Oregon-/CAROLINA-KUSTOMS-DAKOTA-KUSTOMS-LONNIE-CRAPPY-CUSTOMSCRAPPY-WORK-PORTLAND-Oregon-694750. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CAROLINA KUSTOMS

Carolina Kustoms is the best

AUTHOR: Kstaten - (United States of America)

After reading the "Crappy Kustoms" post, and as a current paying customer, I felt compelled to post my experience with Lonnie & Carolina Kustoms. I've spent quite a bit of time out at their shop over the last year, and I've spent more than quite a bit of money with this company. If you are looking for a shop who will bondo over rust, do a fly-by-night unprofessional job, then this is not the shop for you. If you want a highly professional job completed by a hardworking, fairly priced, integrity based family company, then this is the shop for you. Carolina may not be the cheapest in town, (even though their shop rates are about half of others), but you get what you pay for. Lonnie and his team aren't going to provide you with the $599.00 weekly Maaco Presidential special. This is the place to take your classic vehicle to when you really want it done right, from beginning to end! There are so many things that I appreciate about Lonnie and his team at Carolina Kustoms. Lonnie has communicated with me every single step of the way on this huge project with my '68 C10 (pictures on his website, truck nearing completion). He has given me multiple options when things were not going as planned (if you have an old house or old car you will know what I am talking about), and has worked with me every step of the way to make this restoration everything that I had dreamed and more. Because I live close to the shop, I have enjoyed watching every step of this project unfold in person. Carolina Kustoms has an open door policy, and I have always been welcome to stop by the shop & check in with the guys about my truck. I can honestly say that our family won't go anywhere else ever again. CK are now MY people; we can laugh & disagree on everything from sports to politics, but we always agree on just how cool these old cars really are. I love watching these cars come together over time in his shop. I remember watching one of the guys outside handsanding an old fender. He intensely worked on it the hour that I was there. I came in later that afternoon and he was still working on it. One last stop at the end of the day he was STILL working that fender. I went over and told him that I certainly hoped that he would be one of the guys working on my truck, because that kind of attention to detail is what another thing that makes Carolina Kustoms an amazing shop!

I'm not here to document every bump in the road with my truck while it's been in Carolina Kustoms. These bumps had nothing to do with Lonnie and his crew, and everything about my buying a truck that was more damaged than I knew. I will share about one of those bumps though, because this is so typical Lonnie. My cab came back from the blasters and it was a mess. Lonnie called me out to come and look at it with him. The truck had been wrecked very early on in it's life, possibly even before leaving the factory. The layers and layers of deep bondo were now gone, and what we were left with was a twisted, rust-pocked, rust-ridden, big old mess. It was such a mess that to restore the cab (which Lonnie would have done if I had insisted). Lonnie's started to work. He told me not to panic, we'd figure this out soon. That afternoon Lonnie found me a cab on CL that a young guy was offering very reasonably. We were told it was clean, rust free and had been sitting in a dry barn in Stayton for years. I arranged a price with this kid, and for him to deliver it to Lonnie. At delivery, Lonnie inspected it like it was going on his own truck. It was the cleanest cab he had seen in years. Lonnie didn't need to go to this trouble for me, but he did. He always has. Lonnie at Carolina Kustoms is the real deal. He's the car guy who knows his stuff, he's a businessman with old fashioned integrity, he's a family man, he's talented, and he's also funny.

My truck isn't quite done, it is in the finishing stages now and is looking great. I can also tell you that if I were to ever have a problem with anything Lonnie had done (I can't imagine this though), I know that he would just handle it. He is a stand-up, honest guy, & one of those people who will do the right thing when necessary.

I highly recommend this company, Carolina Kustoms. When we recover from this project, you had better believe that I will be taking my next project only to Lonnie and his crew. These are the guys for us. I'm going to miss seeing them so often once my project is done.

Sincerely

Min Singleton (because you should always sign your name!)
'68 Chevy C10 currently in shop

Carolina Kustoms /Dakota Customs

AUTHOR: jjcustoms - (United States of America)

Sooo. there has been some bad little boys on here talking about me and i want to set everyone straight. .im jj johnson and i used to own jj kustoms. i havent been in business for two years. i am a lead guitarist for black lili and emberain. the reason im not in business is because i make more money than cars will ever produce to anyone.  im going to stick up for lonnie only this once and thats it. lonnie is a respectable guy. he obviously is doing well. god bless you lonnie! i dont know richard. dont want to know. jj kustoms is dead, not in business in anyway shape or form. will never be in business. i did cars for over 27 years. had my fun , now im doing what ive always wanted to do. go on tour. you can go to both websites and check me out. we are on break right now do to our producers death names Jessica gachupin. she used to work for paramount.  i found out about all of this from some mobile mechanics that are on here. they listen to our music! cheers to everyone jjjohnson

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Carolina Kustoms

AUTHOR: Carolinakustoms - (USA)

If you’re looking for a quality restoration for your important collector automobile, consider the craftsmen at Carolina Kustoms . We view all cars as rolling works of art and strive for excellence in every area, from Daily drivers, award-winning paint and bodywork to highly accurate interiors and engines that run better than new. A majority of the work is done in-house at our 6500sqft Oregon restoration facility, including body and paintwork, motor and transmission rebuilds, and all final assembly, which allows us to maintain our own strict quality control. We catalog and document every step of the restoration process with digital images and detailed notes, and provide our customers with a restoration summary at the completion of each project. Please take a look at our completed car restoration projects and you’ll get an idea of the craftsmanship we provide.

Of course, the best restorations require some of the best subcontractors, and we outsource several areas of the car restoration process including plating (including chrome, nickel, copper, zinc, phosphate, black oxide and other factory finishes), carburetor rebuilding, electric motor restoration, machine work on engine components, steering wheel restoration, instrument cluster refinishing, body and part de-rusting, and seat belt re-webbing. It goes without saying that we only outsource to reputable companies that meet our own high standards.

The body repairs are performed with the finest quality products available, and our skilled craftsmen have decades of combined experience. From simple panel replacement to complete custom metal fabrication, we can do it all, including the lost art of lead bodywork. If you can dream it, we can make it reality in sheet metal.Bare bodies are placed on rotisseries to perform repairs and refinishing inside and out, top and bottom. The vehicles are refinished and assembled using factory procedures wherever possible, although years of technology improvements often allow us to do it better than the factory ever could. Proper bolts, seam sealers and correctly colored primers are used, which is important for accuracy if you are going to compete at the highest levels. And while some will argue that the finished product is worlds better than it was new, the colors, finishes, detailing, and components will be highly accurate.

If it's been your dream to restore a fine automobile, consider us for your next project. Our reputation speaks for itself: cars we have restored have taken down more than a few  awards over the past few years. Our shop rate for car restoration work is $35.00 per hour. It is virtually impossible to give accurate estimates on restoration costs, given how much potential damage can be hidden within a typical car body, but we strive to provide as accurate a projection as possible once we have been able to thoroughly examine the car.Shop 503-954-1369. Here is a link to my Web page <a href="http://www.carolinakustoms.com/" rel="nofollow">click here to go to our webpage

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Carolina Kustoms

AUTHOR: Carolinakustoms - (United States of America)

So here's the ture storie  this guy is going around Portland Or and on craigslist talking about my company first is a 1960 truck that he didnt know was mine, then it was a mustang that was a customers that has 3 cars with us, now he say his friend owned a nova that was done at my shop and is what is funny is I have only did 2 nova's one was my wife and one belongs 2 house down from me. So this guys storie's hav got so bad that craigslist has killed his account. And he is trying to sale his or his buddys shop jj customs. The problem is that we are one of the fastest growning shop in the portland area and Our labor rates are half of everyones and it is pissing people off because we have more work and we have just add 4000sqft to Our shop. we have over 60 people that will tell that we are up front about are restoration work

Plus you can see Our work step by step at www.carolinakustoms.com