Complaint Review: Carolina Talent

• Updated: Wed, November 06, 2013

• Reported By: anonymous — Charlotte North Carolina
Carolina Talent
1230 W Morehead St, Charlotte, NC 28208 Charlotte, North Carolina USA

Carolina Talent Carolina Talent Inc, Carolina Talent scam, or atleast a horrible "agent" Charlotte North Carolina

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Clarification on posted email regarding CT

I was "with" Carolina Talent for around 6-8 months, so this is a first hand acount of the unprofessionalism of the company. From what I have heard, they are experiencing employee issues, but they WERE NOT and were completely full staffed when I was associated with them. For one thing, they lend call backs to almost everyone. Girls who are no where near model height or weight requirements were accepted. Sure, Charlotte is a commercial market, but it has some standards.

I paid $350 for a photoshoot, which every agency has you do, I mean you have to have pictures. BUT. 2/3 of my photoshoot was done by an "in house photographer" who isn't a photographer at all, he's the booking agents boyfriend. His pictures were HORRIBLE. Total lack of artistic insight. All he did was click the button on the camera and guide all the girls into the same four poses, (which are outdated btw). Comparing the pictures from them, from the pictures I've done recently is almost disgusting.

The daily or weekly emails sent out to all talent are FILLED with typo's and miscommunications. Being skeptical of the entire situation, I waited to sign my "contract" until I got paid work. (NEVER HAPPENED BTW) The company is so disorganized they never even noticed.

All they do is preach about the Talent Inc convention in Florida, (which is an absolute scam;it and all of the programs associated with it are under investigation by the state of Florida for fraud) I refused to pay over $800+ for something that wil never get me anywhere, and the booker REFUSED TO SUBMIT ME FOR PAID ROLES BECAUSE OF IT. First, what kindof agency does that?! Other scam agencies in Charlotte like Evolution go to these conventions, but I'm sure they don't decline submission for roles because of it.

One of the roles i was denied submission for through Carolina Talent I was actually personally contacted by the photographer and asked to model for that shoot.

One of the "runway shows" I was booked for through CT and actually audition in house was an absolute mess. It was in the GYM of a YMCA like place, with a bunch of rugs DUCTAPED to the gym floor for a "runway".

Since I've left CT, In these few short months I've been in two magazine spreads, an online catalogue, shot with 2 nationally known fashion photographers, been in 10 reputable fashion shows, 3 public service announcement shoots, and 3 editorials. I am sent work daily, and this is all on my own.  Imagine what I could do with a real agency!

Yes they were good to ween me into the industry, but a lot of their models have real potential and are never given the chance to do anything with it because of the disorganization and unprofessionalism of Carolina Talent. They're always preaching about how they "Are and agency, not a school' but they walk a fine line. 80% of the emails I got were for workshops. ALSO, the CT staff gets profit from models going to the Florida convention, WTF. I'm sure the agency wasn't this corrupt and awful when it was opened, but as of 2013 it is about as horrible as it gets. They have a horrible reputation with casting directors, some people are turned down just because they were associated with them.

Please please do not waste your time with this if you have real potential!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/06/2013 08:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Carolina-Talent/Charlotte-North-Carolina-28208/Carolina-Talent-Carolina-Talent-Inc-Carolina-Talent-scam-or-atleast-a-horrible-agent-1097344. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Carolina Talent

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Clarification on posted email regarding CT

AUTHOR: Employee - ()

Thanks for your email and we are sorry that your expereince was not a good one. Please note that clients are responsible for making choices of who to choose to market their product or service.,not the agency. For one unhappy  talent we ahve hundreds who are extremely happy with the representation our company provides.

We need to clear up a few of your misconceptions in the email. The shoot while done under our roof and supervised by our staff, is not a shoot that we make a profit from. The photographers we bring in have been shooting models for many years. Models and Actors are free to choose who they want to work with. We do however provide the option of a reasonable shoot under our roof.

The event that we attend is not Talent Inc, you have us   confused with another agency. We hand slected a number of talent on a yearly bases to attend an event in Boca called ITS, this is a great way for our talent to see agents under one roof over a week. We consider it one stop shopping. It is not an event that all are invited too, ot is an invite sent to all for the audition. This you ahve wrong.

Bookers in our industry come and go, lets face it this is a tough industry and we demand the most from our employees. So if they are not able to provide the opportunities for our talent by contacting clients for work, then we would be better served by filling the seat with a booker who will.

Work hops are important but, we as an agency, do not require them, they are held under our roof as an opportunity for the talent to seek education. We do not make money for the workshops at all.

As far as jobs for experience we ahve no control over where and whn these are held with cleints, it is up to the parent or talent to us good common sense regarding an opportunity for work. We put these out there for talent to gain valuable experience and post on your resume. But again we ahve no control on how professional the client is regarding the location.

We do not take all that we meet, it is more like 10% of those that we see that we extend representation too. We are fortunate that we pre determine   talent with our 800casting and save most the trouble of even coming to meet us.

We are thrilled that you are working with your new agent and doing lots of work. We can not however, allow you to post info on this site that is untrue or you are misinformed. Best to clear up any communicatiuon early on. Eid you ever ask yourself that because you never signed your contract you were not officially on board and the opportunties for work did not come your way because you dropped the ball in getting your contract in to us so that we could begin to actively market you... something to think about, right???

I hope this clarifies some of the misconceptions that you ahve written about us, and wish that you would have elected to come in and speak with us personally rather than print un truths on the internet, but by not signing your name to your claim, just shows that youa re for some reason unhappy and need to seek guidance  regarding your career.