Complaint Review: CDMA Group

CDMA Group
10000 Slaughter Creek Dr. Austin, Texas USA

CDMA Group Reliant Towing Tow Truck Damage to my Vehicle/Drop Scam Austin Texas

*Author of original report: Damage to Vehicle

*Consumer Comment: So what you are saying...

At 4:30am on 10/29/13, I was awakened to the beeping of my truck alarm.  I went outside at my apartment complex to see what was going on.  My wife went out on the balcony overlooking the truck. There was a tow truck from Reliant Towing backed up to my truck with the intent of hooking up to tow it.

I asked Mr. James Wheland why he intended to tow my truck when it had a parking sticker.  He stated that it was illegally parked and intended to tow it.  Two of my tires were on the curb of the parking space.  When I parked the night before, it was the only parking space and the spaces are so narrow at our apartments that if I wouldn't have parked with two tires on the curb, I would have damaged the vehicle next to me.  At the time of the incident, there were other spaces available so I asked Mr. Wheland to move his tow truck so I could move my truck. [continued below]....

.....  Mr. Wheland demanded $50 to move his tow truck.  I refused to pay him $50 and again asked him to move his tow truck so I could move my truck.

I got in my truck and started it.  It was in neutral as it is a standard.  Mr. Wheland got in his tow truck and raised the forks under the rear of my truck.  Because my truck was in neutral and not attached to the tow truck, it rolled forward off the forks of the tow truck.  The tow truck forks caused extensive damage to the tailgate, rear quarter panel and rear light of my truck.  Words were exchanged between Mr. Wheland and myself and he attempted to strike me with his flashlight.  The Austin Police Department was called and a report filed.

The next day, I filed an insurance claim with Reliant Towing's insurance company and after nearly a month of "investigation", they denied the claim based on the fact that my truck was "illegally" parked.  On 11/25/2013, I contact Reliant Towing to try to resolve the matter and spoke with Mark, one of the Managers.  He stated that they would do nothing further to resolve the damages to my truck as their insurance company had denied the claim.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/05/2013 02:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CDMA-Group/Austin-Texas-78748/CDMA-Group-Reliant-Towing-Tow-Truck-Damage-to-my-VehicleDrop-Scam-Austin-Texas-1104675. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CDMA Group

Damage to Vehicle

AUTHOR: LetaP - ()

The issue is not whether the parking was illegal or not.  The issue is the liability for the damage that was incurred.  It is against the law to demand a drop fee when a vehicle is not hooked up and ready for tow.  It is also unlawful to not move the tow truck at the owner's request when the vehicle is not hooked up.  It is also illegal to attempt to tow a vehicle with the owner in it.

None of the damage would have occurred if Mr. Wheland had moved his tow truck when I requested he do so, the tow truck was not in any manner attached to my truck.

So what you are saying...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

When I parked the night before, it was the only parking space and the spaces are so narrow at our apartments that if I wouldn't have parked with two tires on the curb, I would have damaged the vehicle next to me. At the time of the incident, there were other spaces available

- So what you are actually saying is that it is okay to park where ever you want if there are no other spaces.

Okay so following that logic if that space was taken up you could have legally parked in a Handicaped space.  I guess you could have even parked in a fire lane as well, or even "double park".

After all if it is okay to park with your wheels on the curb if there are no spaces what makes those cases any different.  Or do you feel that you are so special and can pick and choose which regulations you have to follow.

That $50 drop fee probably sounds pretty good right about now, doesn't it.