Complaint Review: cdmt

• Submitted: Tue, June 14, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, April 28, 2012

• Reported By: maldebot — mount pleasant South Carolina United States of America
cdmt
3401 salterbeck street, suite 201 mount pleasant, South Carolina United States of America

cdmt southeast talent search they promised services and don't delivered mount pleasant, South Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Please help

*General Comment: Dear Sue

*Consumer Comment: Sue please help!

*Consumer Suggestion: thanks

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Good for your son

*General Comment: CD Model & Talent Agency Client

*General Comment: CDMT has Worked for me........

*Consumer Comment: CDMT is so fake

*Consumer Comment: CDMT Is A Great Company

ok first you are chossen the moment you walk thru the door, they just ask you for money for participating on this talent show that if you do not participate you will have no expossure.  this will be fine if at least if you didn't participate on their little charade they actually work with you to get you some casting calls, but they don't.  the way they make their money is to make you participate on this talent search wich you have to pay in advance (almost $2,000.00, they tell you it is better if you  take some trainning that they provide for the cheap amount of $150 each. wich it is really cheaper than other places but also as bad trainig as the worst.  then they suggest you bring some pictures wich even if they are professional pictures they make you take more to do your compcard that they have this great place that make them really cheap.  $150.00 more.  Then when you go to the talent search you have to pay for hair and make up wich is not bad at $20.00 but you have to pay for your hotel and food. now again this will be fine if you get real exposure but then after 2 days of long lasting dull stuff and presentations in front of this supose agents you have your interviews.  then for some reason even if the agents tell you to call them you have to wait until the agency contacts the agents wich never happens.  they also make you sign this paper that if you get any jobs by yourself in the next 2 years you have to tell them because they are your agent.
now they came up with this self exposure thing that you pay $39.00 to be in 1-800-casting or something but it is like a lot of the free sites that you put your pictures and nothing happens.
if you have extra money and want to spend it on nothing go ahead and call cory or rebecca at cdmt.
by the way cory refuting this is not good when you are the owner of the company talking like you are a client.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/14/2011 07:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/cdmt/mount-pleasant-South-Carolina-29466/cdmt-southeast-talent-search-they-promised-services-and-dont-delivered-mount-pleasant-So-740846. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on cdmt

Please help

AUTHOR: Single mom - (United States of America)

I am trying to do my research on this company before I spend any money on show cases. Both me and my 3 year old daughter were chosen to attend the showcase but I am a single mom and work my butt off to support her but want the best for her w modeling/talent and want her to have all the opportunities in the world. When reading all these posts, I realize u shouldn't have to pay for a showcase but are there really any legit companies out there that will look for u jobs and then when u make money, they get a percentage from it?? I don't know where to go next or how to do it on my own...I just don't want to be taken advantage of and I rly can't afford much unless my daughter gets work...thank u for any advice u can give me!!

#2 General Comment

Dear Sue

AUTHOR: Little Lady - (United States of America)

Sue Davies,

I am an ex-talent of cdmt, because I dropped them. I am in my mid 20's and currently have a very good position in the industry, not as a background. I will tell you that I personally disagree with your confident claims about cdmt. I worked in this industry as a child under a different ageny and knew that you are not to pay for "certain" things within an agency. Things like, talent showcases, and (I guess it's new, but) your own 1-800 number?... However, when I first got with cdmt, I was excited to be back in the industry. I wasn't even in for two months, when this "meeting" for a talent showcase came up, and began recieving e-mails about paying for it if I wanted to enter. I knew in my heart and from all of my experience that I shouldn't pay, but I was so excited to be back in. Now, as an adult I was in control of my agency choice, so I decided to enter, and pay without telling my mother, because I knew she would be against it. I felt really pressured into it and it all went so fast that it felt like I barely blinked. There were comments on the papers of how to pay, and in what amount of installments, that there would be no refund (ever), it also stated that this "oppurtunity" had to be fulfilled by a certain date. I felt so pressured, but signed up anyways. After signing up, I recieved a plethora of what seemed to be automated e-mails that were the same email, just dated for a later time in which you could sign up if you were a "chosen one". They made it seem like it was this once in a lifetime oppurtunity that needed to be rushed, yet they could've just given me (and others, I'm sure) more time to decide if this decision was a good one.

The closer the showcase got, the more angry I was. I was angry at myself for falling for the "crap" and angry at them for pulling on the heart strings of all of these people, including myself. I almost didn't show up even though I paid for it! But, I decided to go and do something since I had paid for and un-refundable, irreversible situation. I got there and saw so many beautiful girls, and lovely young boys. I saw adults, actors, singers, etc. I saw Cory and Rebecca...SELLING stuff that people who paid $1,500 or more dollars should get anyway???... At first I just remained quiet about the situation hoping that this married duo would come talk to me and at least convince me that they were happy to see me and all of the other people they "represent". They never did. But, you know Sue...the feeling I got from them the entire weekend is that they knew I had caught onto their scheme. You know that feeling between you sometimes get when you know that someone else knows that they're wrong, but you hope they are big enough to admit to it? Well, this was one of those situations, where I could feel it every single time they glanced at me. It was difficult to look at all these people at the "end of the showcase party", seeing their happiness, their children's happiness in the hands of two people caught in a sleezy situation. I felt as though I was watching a room full of money getting tossed into the air as Cory and Rebecca sat back raking in all of the money for the rest of the year's mortgage, car, and utility payments. Watching them soak up the glory and "Thanks you's" from people there as if they had done the world some justice.

They stole from me Sue. They stole from others. Maybe we signed ourselves up for it in your opinion. All any of us wanted was an agency that we all could trust. We wanted to believe that this IS what talents do to get somewhere. But, I have to tell you Sue, it's not. As I stated before, I now work in this industry and am quite content with how it's going. I do not work with cdmt. The people at my job, actors, stand-ins, background, crew, casting, etc. state that one should never pay to showcase themselves at a show. Of course photos and comp cards will cost money, but that is always a given. They also state that 20% is what rip-off agencies charge. The largest talent agencies don't even charge that much!

I will say that I'm happy that you found an agency that your family likes as long as you're happy. However, I hope that you choose someone else for all of your industry desires and needs. I fear that if you do not change this belief in cdmt, your children will learn a hard lesson in the industry as they get older and go out on their own as well. I still haven't paid off my credit card from this event. I am obviously not the only ex-talent cdmt had that feels this way toward their agency practices.

I in fact DO wish cdmt would magically call me up one day and tell me they are "sorry" for taking advantage of me and other people, and I wish they would magically give me all of my money back. I just wish they would own up to their huge mistake, because all of the people I work with now know what they are, so it didn't bode well for them anyways. I wish that when the recession hit, I still had that credit on my account, as opposed to Cory and Rebecca paying their bills.

If you are a business owner Sue, I would have assumed you would've realized by now that your family has been taken advantage of. If you want to remain defensive about it all so that you don't have to admit someone pulled a "fast one" on you, I would suggest that the evidence on this site has so far shown you that this "agency" is a dirty one. I would also state that if you disagree with a good manager (no matter what business) being completely incapable of apologizing and admitting some wrong-doing perhaps I would also suggest that your personal career path is the wrong one as well. You should never take part in sketchy business practices either.

I have friends that are also ex-talent of cdmt and though I would LOVE to be the person that speaks on their behalf of their experiences, I think cdmt has enough enemies that I don't even need to try for them.

Also Sue, when composing a rebuttal, response, personal opinion, whatever it may be the rules clearly state that your criticism is to be constructive and appropriate. However, I read one of your responses to what seems to be a caring, loyal person that was also taken advantage of by this "agency" and your words did not seem constructive at all. They seemed defensive and angry. First off, might I point out that I have two children and love them dearly. When you stated that your respondent obviously doesn't have children I took that very personal. To distastefully attack someone based on information that you are unaware of knowing about someone is to alienate your entire audience of people that are like that person. You alienated me Sue. I DO have these issues with cdmt, but I also feel that every mother is caring and wants the best for their children, and sometimes we make good and bad decisions. In this case Sue, I feel that cdmt is a bad decision for your family and you've begun to realize that but you are too hardheaded to change it, because you don't want to imagine that a decision you made was/is bad and you now have to own up to it, or start from scratch with your kids. It's okay to want to be defensive, but it's disrespectful to imagine that someone doesn't have children because they disagree with you.

I hope you find happiness and are content with whatever your future decisions may be.

Sue please help!

Sue,

I do have 2 children thats why I understand how hard you work. I have a favor to ask. You own a small business right. Please contact Cory and ask him to get in touch with the author of this report. It seems that they felt ripped off by him and they have some grievances. You and I both know as business owners that a satisfied customer is key. Well we should be encouraging Cory to help these people so they don't feel the need to come here and express there frustration. We also know that if he doesn't even try then its the same as not caring right? Maybe he does care about your son and that shows. However he has apparently taken money from some people who he does not care about and they would seem unhappy about that, and there only form of redress is here.

Thanks again

#4 Consumer Suggestion

thanks

AUTHOR: Sue - (United States of America)

Kind words. Just wanted to add a few things.

1. I'm going to assume you don't have children. Forgive me if I'm wrong. Wait til you see how much work on the parent's part goes into getting them an education. Scary. And Mitchell was accepted by all of the other agencies, I chose cdmt because of proximity, access to agents, and ties to the big 2 , NY and LA. My other son is an athlete and I spend 4 times more $ and time with him on practice at home then Mitchell.

2. I chose to self submit, which by the way is forbidden by all other agencies, because Cory told me from day 1 that he does not submit outside this market and I still have strong ties to New England and like to work there. None of the other agencies would allow this.

3. I was not coerced to write this . As a small business owner who was unfairly scathed for something that was not my fault, I occasionally check these sites to be sure some ignorant disgruntled nut isn't trying to slander my company.

4. The self submission process takes 10 minutes of my day. Its the click of a button on a number of websites. Again, forbidden by most local agencies, encouraged by Cory.

This will be my last post, but I do wish you luck and encourage you in the future to discuss problems with the person involved. I can tell you it hurts to have someone unjustly slander you and there are 2 sides to every story. I'm assuming you are an adult and have many choices to make so I hope you find the right fit agentwise. I know Mitchell has amazing interviewing skills which is huge and again, confidence through the roof which I feel is thanks to Cory and Rebecca. He will make it big in whatever he does when the time is right. I'm thinking of sending my athlete to cdmt for confidence purposes. Plus Cory does sports management too......

#5 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Good for your son

Sue,

Congratulations on your sons development. It sounds like he is a bright and talented young man. I wish him lots of hard work and nothing but fulfillment out of whatever he pursues. You also sound like a strong and dedicated mom who works hard on
behalf of her son. With you working this hard for him he is bound to find success.  I am glad that if you felt you needed it that CDMT was, in your opinion, able to help you. Its too bad that those are not the reactions from most others here and other places. You can understand that the majority of us feel that we (ourselves, our wives, our friends and our children) were misrepresented and ripped off by them. It is a pity that we cannot test your sons success against a real talent agency that does not have a bad reputation. Is too bad you really dont know how much of your sons success comes from his talent and your hard work.

You yourself said that you brought jobs to Cory for his opinion. I question if it was not your work that got the ball rolling for you. Was it your work that got him the notice that got the next job or was it anything that Cory did? Its a fair question that we cannot answer. In the end I as with many people here are happy for you and your son. We wish him all the success in the world. Its too bad that CDMT's pay to play practices does not work for everyone or you would not find them directing you here to refute this report.

#6 General Comment

CD Model & Talent Agency Client

AUTHOR: Richard - (United States of America)

I have employed various CD Models and Talent's folks for over six years for our corporate productions. Cory and Rebecca have always been responsive to our needs and have gone above and beyond what was expected as an agency. Our clients were very happy with the final production and I will use CDMTA to help us cast the next one.

I have also worked with the Southeast Talent Search as an agent for several years.  I personally have met and know close to 40 different representatives from various modeling and acting agencies worldwide from my involvement in the event.  Most of the agents travel from California, New York, Miami or Atlanta to attend the event.  Most are repeat attendees because they like the event, the talent that is brought in and how the staff at Southeast Talent Search mangage the event.  I have also met close to 500 different talent attendees who attended the events one-on-one and have not heard a negative comment from any of them.

The SETS is an opportunity for those who believe they are talented to shine in front of legitimate casting and talent agents from around the world.  Look at it this way, one in 50,000 high school athletes ever make it to the professional leagues.  There are no promises made by Cory and Rebecca for contracts or 'stardom'.  The provide a platform for one to excel if they have what it takes to be a real national or regional talent in the film, modeling and television industry without having to move to New York or LA and live for a year auditioning.

#7 General Comment

CDMT has Worked for me........

AUTHOR: Sue - (United States of America)

Hello All,

My name is Sue Davies, and my son Mitchell has been signed with Cory and Rebecca at CDMT agency for over 2 years.  He is about to enter his second showcase this March, and I am sure that the agents will be thrilled and amazed at how he has grown as an actor.

He came to CDMT knowing ABSOLUTELY nothing about the industry.   Cory and Rebecca coached him and taught him to walk the runway, monologue, do commercials, and interview with producers.  Sure it cost some money, but not as much as individual lessons in each of these areas .   He has since gotten 2 short films, 2 major independent films  ( all starring roles in each ), 2 commercials, 2 plays, countless auditions, and is up for the lead in a MAJOR movie.   Some of these Cory sent me to, some I  found on my own and sent over to Cory for review, for no charge.   He takes ALL of my phone calls,
wishes us well on each and every endeavor, and recently coached Mitchell on interviewing for the school of the arts.   How many of you can say that about your agency?

Mitchell considers them friends, mentors, and professionals and looks forward to when he and his agents feel he is ready to sign with NY or LA   I cant thank Cory and Rebecca enough for what they have done for his self confidence, self esteem, and personality.

Sincerely,

Sue Davies

CDMT is so fake

AUTHOR: Pilgram - (USA)

You guys copy and pasted the same rebuttal on my original page to this one. Cory your a joke and I hope you get everything you deserve. Please don't use this company anyone. I have been trying to warn everyone for years here.

CDMT Is A Great Company

AUTHOR: CarolinaSweetheart37 - (United States of America)

CD Models and Talent has been an established and credible business in South Carolina since 1997. I have worked closely with this company, and I have no problem vouching for their good name. It is a common misconception that it does not cost any money to start out in the modeling and talent industry. In any modeling market, models are responsible for initial startup marketing costs.

Should agencies require a fee for representation? No. Does CDMT require a feefor representation? No. As far as commission, it is standard for an agency to take a 20% commission for any job bookings. The Southeast Talent Search, presented by CDMT, is a showcase. Like other conventions, there is an investment required to attend. It is 1/3 of the cost of other national conventions,
but unlike those conventions, Southeast Talent Search caps their number of entrants, which keeps the event small and personal. I have attended an audition, and I have seen them make cuts. Anyone that has attended an in-person
audition with CDMT and Southeast Talent Search has seen this first-hand and knows that not everyone is invited to the callback and that even fewer are invited to the event. Unfortunately, this is a very competitive industry, and it is not for everyone. Clients make the ultimate decision in who they want to book. Agents cannot control how well a talent performs or who they decide to
ultimately book for a job. I do know that CDMT cares about their talent and takes an interest in their success.