Complaint Review: central new mexico electric cooperative

• Submitted: Tue, February 21, 2012
  • Updated: Tue, February 21, 2012

• Reported By: Crappycorporatejerks — Moriarty New Mexico U.S.A.
central new mexico electric cooperative
810 1st St Internet United States of America

central new mexico electric cooperative CNMEC Gouging Monopolistic liars, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Did this company single you out for this treatment, or....

CNMEC is  the only provider of electricity in this area so you have to use them which the last time I checked was a monopoly. I was late to pay my bill, I admit it. I called to pay my bill and they placed me on hold. While I was on hold, they turned my power off which doubled my bill instantly. I tried to explain that I was on hold with the company when they shut me off but they didn't care.

On top of that, I had over paid the previous month so I had a credit that just seems to have disappeared. It turns out that they decided to use the money that I paid the bill with last month to increase the deposit that they had on file for my account but never informed me of this. When they did  that, the credit that I had for over paying obviously was no more.

My bill last month was $82 but I had to pay $161. that's 80 dollars in BS fees and taxes. I used 80 bucks worth of electricity and the rest was junk fees to gouge me out of my hard earned money. They ought to be ashamed of themselves but of course I know they aren't because they are big money owned by big money and their only intention is to make sure that life is more difficult than it needs to be.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2012 10:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/central-new-mexico-electric-cooperative/internet/central-new-mexico-electric-cooperative-CNMEC-Gouging-Monopolistic-liars-Internet-842516. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on central new mexico electric cooperative

Did this company single you out for this treatment, or....

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

do they do the same for others?
"CNMEC is the only provider of electricity in this area so you have to use them which the last time I checked was a monopoly."

Do you think you would have been treated differently if they weren't a monopoly?

From everything I've read on Ripoff Report, people where utilities are deregulated are more unhappy than where there is a "monopoly." Texas is a prime example.

The "monopolistic" companies don't just make up rules and charges as the go along.
They are highly regulated by your states PUC (or equivalent) agency.

I used to do disconnects for non-payment for the company I worked for and heard ALL the excuses, including yours and "my baby is sick,"  "I'm on my way right now to pay it," "I work for the sheriff's office and need my service and you CAN'T disconnect it.  "I'm a doctor and need my service,"
"I just left your company's office and they said not to disconnect it."  "Why are you doing this, I've never been late before?"  Some mean looking hillbilly types that came out and said the customer was a hard worker and not home and they wouldn't let me disconnect the service. The sheriff, a little later changed all that.  And there were a LOT more.

BTW, like you said the "overpayment" must have been used as an additional deposit, and you haven't "lost" anything.  Those fees and deposit aren't really junk fees to "gouge you out of your hard earned money," they were to try to prevent you from being late in the future and reimburse themselves for expenses in processing the account.

Most times a company will work with you...for a time or two, is this the first time you've been late and how late were you?  I'm betting it's not your first trip down this path.