Complaint Review: Charter Communications Inc

• Updated: Sun, January 19, 2014

• Reported By: concerned consumer — Glendale California
Charter Communications Inc
12405 Powerscourt Dr Saint Louis, Missouri USA

Charter Communications Inc Charter Communications billing me for $467 in services and equipment that was returned 5 years ago after dropping their services and being told that I had a $0 balance. Sent me to collections and RUINED my Credit without warning! Saint Louis Missouri

I was a charter customer for over 7 years. I left them in early 2013 because of their horrendous customer service (ie. bad/slow/non working internet & cable connections, over charging me constantly, having to spend countless hours on the phone with them...they should've been paying ME!). So I switched internet providers and ledft charter with what they assured me to be a $0 balance.

Now, a year after closing my account, I am receiving daily harrassing calls from a collection agency who claims I owe $467 in unreturned equipment and services. This is equipment that was damaged and collected by a charter tech over 5 years ago!

Multiple times, before I left Charter, there was an "investigation" by charter to "find" the equipment that I had already returned. Again, they got back to me and assured me it was all settled and "taken care of". Before I left I made what I was told to be my "final payment", and left with what I was told to be a "$0 balance".

Once I left Charter these new charges have magically appeared. They have now sent this FALSE unpaid bill for $467 to my credit report (without warning) and have damaged my credit score. This has affected my good standing credit.

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act I have 30 days to dispute this charge. I was not given the 30 REQUIRED days to file a dispute or to verify the charges. Even though I have a witness (who has also spoken with them) that I have returned the equipment, Charter refuses to clear my name. Charter and their collection agency will not stop harassing me... saying I need to provide a return receipt which I was never given.

These are perfect examples of why I cancelled my charter account to begin with. The obvious truth is they refuse to let me go as a "customer" and are trying to get one last payday from me. Please Help as I can't do anything with my credit (ie. finance, mortgage, etc.) until this is resolved. This is my last ditch effort to resolve this amicably. I will not pay for something I do NOT owe.

Charter does not care about their customers. This is harrassment and it's illegal. I will be contacting the FTC and my family's lawyer.

They need to drop these False charges of $467 and bring my balance back to $0, Drop the claims that I owe them unreturned equipment from 5 years ago, Clear all claims from my credit reports saying I am delinquent on a FALSE $467 charge.And for all the wasted time and stress this has caused both emotionally and physically, I would like an apology... but I won't hold my breath.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/18/2014 10:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Charter-Communications-Inc/Saint-Louis-Missouri-63131-3673/Charter-Communications-Inc-Charter-Communications-billing-me-for-467-in-services-and-equ-1116716. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Charter Communications Inc