Complaint Review: Chase Bank

• Submitted: Mon, October 29, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, October 29, 2007

• Reported By:Wood Dale Illinois
Chase Bank
1600 West Lake Street Addison, Illinois U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Chase Bank ,Chase Bank Fee's Outrageous Addison Illinois

I've had an account with chase for about two years now. It has been great, only now I am thinking seriously about closing my account with chase. Now I understand Every bank has Fee's for any over draft. Some more than others. Chase Bank's standard overdraft Fee is 35.00 per over-draft, which of coarse is outrageous. I do Keep a check register and for a very long time never really had any problems other than a random "Service Fee" in my paperless statement saying I owe money. Every time I've taken this "Service Fee" up to customer service at any branch, I no sooner begin telling them about it they say "I'll go ahead and waive that fee".

My current Problem with Chase is simple to understand. I am a college student and a new dad and don't live with my parents. Just so you understand I have very many bills to pay. Just from being stressed out, The other day being human I made the mistake of not writing down a charge to my account. I had near 15 dollars in my account and I charged about 13.99. So I then thereafter forgetting about those purchases made a few very small purchases at different places. A couple dollars at MacDonalds, a couple dollars at jewel, then another small purchase from a gas station. I also felt like If I was over-drafting, I have Chase's Over draft protection service.

Turns out I do not have overdraft protection when I set up my account. Which I was told I did when I opened my account. If you do the hard math like I did, all in all I would owe chase near 20 dollars for what they actually ended up paying these places I made charges to. Problem is, when I checked my online account status, somehow I owe hundreds of dollars. for one and two dollar purchases. Is this fair at all? I need every penny of my pay check and now I need to pay chase such an excessive amount of money for 20 dollars. not to mention the fee they charge for being in the red every two days.

Its just ...outrageous and unimaginable that they could do this to a person. Its sneaky and a definite ripoff. So the problem I am now faced with is "do I pay the ever-increasing charges to my account that just keep adding up and not have any food on the table or do I just let it go and have chase ruin my credit for years? I do not feel as I am responsible for the now today total of over 300 dollars for this.

I've gone into a local branch to talk to customer service and all they really did was print out copy's of my purchases, which I have, just to tell me that "Yes, you have over drafted this many times, we are charging this much and you never had overdraft protection." Its all going to keep adding up. It was also to my understanding when I opened the account that the fee for an overdraft was 35.00 one time for getting in the red, then the 5.00 late fee every few days. if that was true for my account I'd surly owe less than 50 dollars fee money to chase. I'd be willing to pay it too.

Where the communication problem is where its actually 35 dollars per over-draft. I would have never opened an account with chase in that case. The worst part of this is feeling helpless as Chase claims no responsibility and is unwilling to waive these fee's that have multiplied.

Anonymous
Wood Dale, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2007 10:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Chase-Bank/Addison-Illinois-60101/Chase-Bank-Chase-Bank-Fees-Outrageous-Addison-Illinois-281571. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Chase Bank