Complaint Review: Chase Bank

San Jose, California USA
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Chase Bank ATMs eating our hard earned money Chase ATM disorder leading to account imbalances of customers San Jose California

*Consumer Comment: I guess adults cyber bully too

*Author of original report: For Robert:

*Consumer Comment: You must have studied under...

*Author of original report: Never used an envelope for deposit and never faced a problem yet...

*Author of original report: Answer to your doubts...

*Consumer Comment: Comments...

*Consumer Comment: Is this your first time?

CHASE ATM MAKING FOOL OF PEOPLE

Chase ATM machines are making fool of people. It happened to me.
I deposited $500 at CHASE ATM at ATM#CA8404 (210, S 9th st, San Jose) on July 27, 2013 at 08:57pm.
As soon as I clicked deposit option, the tray opened up to take in the cash. I slide 25 bills of & $20 each into the tray. The machine showed that it cannot accept the bills but spit out only 4 bills of $20 each and I was signed out of the account. So in all I was left with only $80 in my hand and rest of the money was in the machine without getting deposited into my account. Again i logged in at 08:59pm and tried to deposited another $20, this time it worked fine and gave me a reciept of $20 getting deposited into my account.
I called up the police. they told me to contact the bank. I called the bank helpline. The customer care noted my claim and asked me to wait for 48 hours. I told her that I can stay with the machine till somebody from bank comes. But she insisted me to leave and they will contact me.
After 2 days again I called. They told me that investigation is in process and will take another 2 days.
Then I called them after another 2 days and after waiting for 1 hour on phone they told me that the claim is denied. I asked them to see their cameras. They lead customer care executive named Erin told me that cameras only see your face and not hands. Then my question is what purpose are the cameras installed for. After debating for another 15 mins, she said we cannot do anything.
Then I went to Chase branch. They again investigated and told me that they cannot do anything.
Although I lost my money but they blamed me that i am lying for some dollars. I told them that i am an engineer working in one of the top companies in bay area and this amount is my day's salary. Only thing I am fighting is for justice and for my own money. Nobody has listened to me yet.
Now my question is - In a country like US and a huge name like Chase is eating up customer's hard earned money leaving the customer helpless. How safe our money is in the US.
I am still struggling for the Justice. Nobody has heard me. I have all the proofs and receipts as an evidence but dont know whom to approach. After getting tired of all my hard struggle for my own money, now I am presenting this incident to the public. This happened to me and can happen to anybody. Please raise the voice and support for your own money's safety.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/06/2013 09:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Chase-Bank/San-Jose-California-95112/Chase-Bank-ATMs-eating-our-hard-earned-money-Chase-ATM-disorder-leading-to-account-imbala-1073721. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Chase Bank

I guess adults cyber bully too

AUTHOR: Mona - ()

@Robert and @MochaG:

Why are you two so quick to point fingers and jump down this man's throat? He is trying to speak up for himself in a situation where he was wronged and nothing has been done to bring about a justified resolution. Banks are not thoroughly regulated and people everywhere fall victim to instances like these. It happened to me this evening at a TD Bank ATM where I attempted to deposit $250. The ATM told me that it was unable to process my request and to contact customer service. It did not give me a receipt nor return any of the money I had inserted. Now I have to go back to the bank first thing in the morning and hope that they verify the machine is over by $250. A similar thing happened to one of my friends, but the bank told her the ATM was not over by any amount and that they had no record of her calling to report the incident. The bank then proceeded to freeze her account while they conducted an investigation. I'm sure this happens more often than people realize but not enough people speak up about it like this man did. My advice to the both of you is to practice some humanity rather than argue on the side of corrupt institutions. Helping others is much more productive than tearing them apart.

For Robert:

Robert:

See, i clearly mentioned my situation. If I would Have got such a strong proofs then I would not have been answering these kind of questions of your here wasting my time. I would have filed a lawsuit directly. The reason I am here is that the bank is doing unjustice to me and taking unfair advantage of an innoscent customer.

And anyways nobody is entitled to be an engineer necessarily to use an ATM machine. So please dont give me the engineering subject case studies reference to prove me as a lier.

I just mentioned that I am an engineer to let everybody know that this amount of money is not a dead and alive situation for me. I earn them every day. But the point to be raised here is that it can happen to anyone. If I will leave this amount today, tomorrow somebody else will suffer who may not ba an engineer and who doesnot understand the theories and subjects in engineering you are mentioning in your comments......

You must have studied under...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

You must have studied under the Rube Goldberg method of Enginering.  Seriously...because you are taking the most convoluded steps to do the most simple tasks...remember the KISS principal?  Keep It Simple Stupid.

First let's look at your logic for your "proof".  Say for example I go to a Bank of America ATM and withdraw only $200.  I then go across the street and deposit $20 as "proof" I was at the Chase ATM.  Please tell me what proof do I have that I actually took that $200 and tried to deposit it into the Chase ATM?

Now, then let's look at your reasons.   You say you went to deposit the money that was ALREADY in your Bank of America Account to pay your Chase Credit Card.  Well here may be a shock for you...you could pay your Chase Credit Card from ANY Bank Account...I do it all of the time with no problems and it gets credited just like I paid it from a Chase Account.

By you depositing it in your Chase Account you have delayed it's availability because you did it AFTER the cut-off time.  Also, the Cut-Off time for a Chase Credit Card is 8PM ET, meaning that at 8:57 PM it would NOT have been posted that day anyways.

You actually loose additional credibility when you state that a banker said in effect..it happens all of the time.  Yet even with that comment they wouldn't do anything for you.

Then we look at the timing...you are very specific that you "logged in" to the ATM at 8:57 pm.  But within 2 minutes you were able to log in, get to the point of the deposit, put the money into the ATM, have it rejected, and in your disbelief of what just happened..were able to think on your feet, put your card back in and log back into the ATM to try another $20 deposit.

Finally, you will notice that I did not dispute you not using an envelope..in fact I confirmed it.  But with that said even if what you are saying is 100% true, the story behind it makes it very unbelieveable.

Never used an envelope for deposit and never faced a problem yet...

AUTHOR: abheys - ()

i am submitting cash directly into ATM machine from past 4 years and never faced any problem. I have tried with other banks  like Bank of America and Wells fargo before. I never used an envelope for cash deposit. It worked fine everytime with even 30-40 bills too.

Chase is just trying to cover up their faulty deposit system by bringing the envelope topic in picture. The banker in branch told me that it has happened to many people in recent history.

Answer to your doubts...

AUTHOR: abheys - ()

No company paid me in cash. I was tranferring funds from my bank of america account to chase. as both ATMs are closeby and it was night time, i just wanted to put money in my chase to pay off my credit card bill. Also i have receipt of taking out money from Bank of america atm 4 mins before chase account login.

another thing is the tray was not stuffed. The machine took the money inside and just spit out 4 bills of $20 each.

i tried to put another 20 bucks so that i can have a receipt printed out proving my presence at the spot at that particular moment.

any other questions ?

Comments...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

First of all to the other Poster.  You are incorrect about ATM's accepting Cash directly.  Approximatly 1-2 years ago Chase started enhancing their ATM's to accept deposits WITHOUT envelopes.  As far as I know all Chase ATM's that accept deposits have this ability now.  As a side note..many other banks have now followed suit and have gone to envelopeless deposits.

Now back to the "Engineer".  I am not saying that this did not happen, but the rest of your story makes it very questionable.  First of all I don't know any "top" company that would pay a professional employee in CASH, not only that but pay on a daily basis.  Was this "top" company paying you under the table?

Then how did you deposit the bills?  Did you put them in all at once?  If so I don't even know how you did that without having to stuff them in and you probably jammed the machine.  As an "Engineer" one would think that if you see the stack was too big you would think.."Ummmm..perhaps I should put them in one at a time".

Next, as an "Engineer" why..if according to your report you already lost $420, would you immediatly turn around and attempt to deposit another $20?

- Exactly what proof do you have?

Just using some more logic..the bank employees have no reason to lie about finding the ATM out of balance.  They don't get bonsus for "found money".  They are also not going to risk prison time and a criminal record for $420.  So yes..unfortunatly the odds are against you.   But if you wanted to go up one more level...you can file a complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Is this your first time?

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

Is this your first time deposit cash into an ATM? The reason I ask is that NO ATM directly accept bank notes when deposit. You are supposed to put your CASH in an ENVELOPE. If you put the cash in, the person who come to pick up the deposit box can easily take the cash away without a trace. You attempted to put all 25 bills in one go, and the ATM rejected because it thought there were too many envelope going in at the same time. Because bank note is much thinner than an envelop (with cash), some of them fell down into the deposit box inside the bank.

So did you ever read or find out how to deposit cash into an ATM before you ever used it? You are an engineer so I would expect you to "follow instructions" before you do anything. Well, if you lose this money, I feel sorry for you but you also need to learn it the hard way. Good luck on getting the money back.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC