Complaint Review: Chris Mckend

• Reported By: Joel Joseph — LaSalle Quebec
Chris Mckend
1044 Av 90E LaSalle, Quebec Canada

Chris Mckend Dead Beat won't Pay for what he Stole! LaSalle Quebec

This story is complicated, but here goes.

The Montreal Community Contact is a black-owned newspaper and the official voice of the Montreal Black community. One of the contributing writers is Yvonne Sam, a social critic known for her no nonsense style and sharp tongue when pointing out the shortcomings of the people and institutions in our community and society in general. Remember this point, because I'll return to it later.

Like many of my customers Chris and his twin brother Wilbur McKend, sons of Yvonne Sam, shopped at my store for videogames. I allowed them to carry a balance, a practice that I've recently curtailed due to widespread abuse from dishonest people who have no intention of paying the balance; i.e: dead beat customers.

Their most recent purchase was a Sega Nomad which I allowed them to buy on credit for $120.00. They later returned it with a cracked screen which left me in a bind since it decreased its resale value and they never got around to paying the balance. [continued below]....

..... It sat at my store for a couple years, during which time I ran into Chris and while quibbling about the balance, insisting his brother should pay half, he brough in his dead PSP for repairs, which came to $80.00. While he finally came in early August 2010 with a bunch of his friends, he said he wasn't going to pick up the PSP but he wanted to see the Nomad. While his friends distracted me with inane banter, he walked out the store with the Nomad.

At first I wasn't sure what to do, so I called his mom and left a message. When it wasn't returned (I figured Chris intercepted it and erased it), I called the Community Contact and left a mesage for her there.

When she returned my call at last, I hesitated to broach the subject directly and just asked her to tell Chris to come pick up his PSP. When he failed to call me back after a while I told her straight up and about what happened and when she refused to get involved on account of Chris no longer living with her, I told her that her ethical stance is this matter was a tad hypocritical. At this point she waxed indignant and our conversation turned into a shouting match at which point she hung up. That went well.

I then spoke to the Community Contact editor, Mr. Egbert Gaye, to whom I explained my situation. I stated that I understood that he wasn't obligated to intervene in this dispute but that this could create a scandal in the Black community and quite possibly damage the reputation of the Community Contact, both of which I was actively avoiding which is why I wanted the matter resolved without getting the police involved. He commended me for doing the right thing. He said he would speak to her and try to settle the issue.

Months passed without a word from him, and when he answered my message requesting an update, he told me that he never spoke to her and didn't intend to because he was afraid of being on the receiving end of her notorious tongue lashings. WTF? He's scared of her? He said he'd handle it and I entrusted the matter to him. When I didn't want to listen to his excuses, he had the temerity to call me an ignorant person. WTF? When I said that legal action will follow and that the chips will fall where they may, he said to go ahead and call the police. I hung on on him in disgust. Why is that so many Blacks bemoan the Man getting involved in their affairs when their actions (or lack thereof) make it unavoidable? So much for civic-mindedness.

Long story short, my problem was in thinking that we had at least a semi-functional community where people took responsibility for their actions and those of their dependants. I bought that rhetoric at face value and assumed that those who talked the talk would walk the walk. Even most community activists refuse to get involved. I tried to avoid giving our antagonists ammunition they could use against public figures and institutions, like what recently happened to Rev. Darry Grey when a simple argument with his wife was reported to the police by an onlooker and it was sensationalized in the media as domestic violence. Makes me wonder to whom one can turn when one is in a real legal mess, when they can't be trusted to handled  a simple matter like this. It reflects badly on their character, but they don't care and would rather ignore the white elephant in the room (pun intended) and hope it goes away. Life doesn't work that way.

What I want is them to pay me their outstanding blance, which I calculated at $220.00. If Chris came and payed me like he promised two weeks ago, that would have been the end of this. I am within my rights to charge a $250.00 fee for shoplifting, as allowed my law. I might still be inclined to do so if he keeps dragging his feet.

The struggle continues...

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/30/2013 03:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Chris-Mckend/LaSalle-Quebec-H8R-3A1/Chris-Mckend-Dead-Beat-wont-Pay-for-what-he-Stole-LaSalle-Quebec-1088417. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Chris Mckend