Complaint Review: Citizens Insurance Company

• Updated: Fri, January 25, 2013

• Reported By: KHB — Mount Morris Michigan United States of America
Citizens Insurance Company
645 W Grand River Ave Howell, Michigan United States of America

Citizens Insurance Company Hanover Insurance Unfair Consumer Fees When Policy Expires/Cancelled Howell, Michigan

*Consumer Suggestion: 'automatic termination'

After being a Citizens customer for 15+ years and over the past few seen my rates go up and up, I decided in early October this year to switch to esurance as their rates were far lower.  Citizens has changed their policies the past few years such as not having agreed value policies for classic cars, and their customer service has gone downhill notably as well with billing issues and coverage issues it seems at every renewal period.

I pay my insurance policy up front at the beginning of term in full.  When I transferred to esurance several days before my policy ended with Citizens, I expected no issues.  About a week after I switched I got an unspecified bill from Citizens, stating I owed $103.43.  Thinking it was their typical billing disaster error of later years which I have pleanty of past hassle and experience, I let it go.  2 weeks later I got another bill from them and a threat to send this bill to a collector.

At this time I wrote Citizens a lengthly letter and explained I was with a new insurance agency and as I received no goods or services from them, there is no money owed.  Another week goes by after sending this letter to them and I get a letter from a collection agency two days ago saying they have been retained by Citizens to collect 103.43.

I called the collection agency and they explain to me, this is not an insurance BILL, but rather a cancellation FEE!  And for what, I ask?  I am being peanlized for Citizens piss-poor rates, poor company service and when I decide to switch, they do a last minute cash-grab with some bogus extortion fee not related to any good or service provided. What a perfect way to line the pockets of their executives.

Listen up, Citizens. I will not stand down.  Most people to this point pay your silly little fee and walk away angry.  Your plan is genious - no one will argue long over $100, or will they?  I am not going away, I am not backing down and you should be ashamed of yourself for what you are doing.  I have filed a complaint with the Michigan insurance regulatory board, I have written my state Senator regarding unfair predatory cancellation fees by you and companies like you and  I plan on contacting a well known law attorney in the next few days.  How much DOES it actually cost to hit the DELETE button on a computer?  Maybe we'll all find out real soon.  But I am betting it is no where near $100.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/27/2012 09:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Citizens-Insurance-Company/Howell-Michigan-48843/Citizens-Insurance-Company-Hanover-Insurance-Unfair-Consumer-Fees-When-Policy-ExpiresCanc-974306. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Citizens Insurance Company

#1 Consumer Suggestion

'automatic termination'

AUTHOR: barron - (United States of America)

I am using Citizens insurance and the premium rate is going up every time when I renew the policy. I am thinking to switch to State Farm, which is a 100$ cheaper. I look up the details of the policy, which reads that 'if we offer to renew or continue and you or your representative do not accept, this policy will automatically terminate at the end of the current policy period." (section C of Termination). Therefore, i think we can ignore the termination fee.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC