Complaint Review: City Of Bells, Texas Police Department

• Submitted: Sat, December 16, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, December 16, 2006

• Reported By:Savoy Texas
City Of Bells, Texas Police Department
203 South Broadway Street Bells, Texas U.S.A.
  • Phone: 903-9657744
  • Web:
  • Category: Police

City Of Bells, Texas Police Department And Mayor. Sgt Bill Saunders, Chief Of Police Tommy Carter, And Mayor Todd Bass. The police department in Bells, Tx and everyone associated with it seems to be either corrupt, incompetent, or both. Refuse to admit to a mistake once they know one has been made and can not give an answer for certain actions! ripoff Bells Texas

*Author of original report: UPDATE!!!

Ok in the early morning hours on April 22nd 2006 I was involved in an accident where I was sitting on a motorcycle at a red light in the city of Bells and was struck from behind by a hit and run driver. The accident which dramaticly changed my life left me permenantly paralyzed from the waist down, but that is not even the start of my problem. The town in which the wreck occured seems to be my largest problem.

Firstly the officer that investigated my wreck simply wrote it off as I had laid the bike over. I am guessing that since he came across the scene, saw me a 21 year old man, and saw a "crotch rocket" he automaticly assumed that I must have just been going too fast and lost control. He filed the report this way despite the fact that the person that heard the wreck, who called 911 advised him they heard a loud crash and heard a car speed off. He also filed the report stating this even though I was laying only a few feet from the red line where you stop at the light, also my bike was approx. 100 yrds from me, the rear of my bike was crushed, and i had no road rash.

I got out of the hospital 31 days later to learn that in addition to the previous evidence the police department had been approached by a young man who said that someone had told him at a bar the details surrounding an accident in which the suspect (as I will refer to him from now on) had struck me and drove off because he was drunk and "didnt want to lose his kids" the officers told me that the source was not credible and had a criminal backround.

The backround I later found was street racing. Despite that fact the cops still brought the suspect in for questioning but said the suspect stated he didnt do it, but that he had fallen asleep that night and hit the side of a bridge, so they let the suspect go. The truck that was involved was repossessed later the same day as the wreck so we could not use that for any evidence, though the officer did say he tried to locate it and the company that took it back no longer had it but remembered the damage done to it and stated it was consistant with hitting the side of a bridge.

A short while later there was another witness that came forward to tell the police much the same story as the first suspect but unfortunately at this point in time I simply feel the two officers I have been comunicating with just dont want to admit they made a mistake. I have also tried to discuss the accident details with the city mayor but unfortunately I was only able to get a return call once and that was the first time I called and left a message.

Now as far as the police department goes you cant sue them due to "soverign immunity". The suspect has already had a civil judgement filed against him but as you may have been able to tell from earlier in my story he doesnt have anything and is about as worthless as they come.

Savoy, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2006 11:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/City-Of-Bells-Texas-Police-Department/Bells-Texas-75414/City-Of-Bells-Texas-Police-Department-And-Mayor-Sgt-Bill-Saunders-Chief-Of-Police-Tommy-225845. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on City Of Bells, Texas Police Department

AUTHOR: Craig - ()

So the since the city of Bells failed to do their job and "investigate" this hit-and-run the suspect was never brought to justice. Coincidently the 'suspect' was just arrested in 2010 for.... can anyone guess? DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED... I guess when Alvin Pitt kills someone driving drunk MAYBE something will happen....