Complaint Review: City Title Loan DBA City Loan

• Updated: Thu, January 09, 2014

• Reported By: Jackie — Oxnard California
City Title Loan DBA City Loan
3431 Cherry Ave. Long Beach , California USA

City Title Loan DBA City Loan repossessed my vehicle and sold it at auction less then 30 days after I received the loan! Long Beach California

*Author of original report: I could never get a copy of my contract

*Consumer Comment: What does your loan agreement say?

I went to this company for a title loan. I received $2500. A week after I got my loan my mother passed away and I was grief stricken. I contacted City Loan on a Tuesday to get my payment information because my loan documents they sent me via email was blacked out and I couldn't read it. I spoke to a supervisor and he gave me the moneygram information and I was to send my payment in on Friday. On Thursday, 2 days later,  at 3am, my vehicle was repossessed from driveway. When I called the supervisor and asked why my vehicle was taken he told me because I was suppose to talk to "Walter". I was never told this when I spoke to him.

I contacted this Walter and he pretty much laughed at me. I asked to speak to his supervisor.  I was told by this supervisor that my vehicle was taken because it was 30 days late and I hadn't established a payment history with them. I told him my mother passed away and I was focused on laying her to rest. He asked when she passed, I told him and he responded "I have never heard of laying someone to rest take a week". I couldn't believe he said that. This company is ignorent and unprofessional. The amount they wanted so I could get my vehicle back was much more then I could afford.

I filed a complaint aganist them with the Attorney Generals Office and it was referred to the California Department of Business Oversight, the department which licenses' this company. A copy of my complaint was sent to City Loan and they were asked to respond to the DBO and to me. 6 weeks went by and City Loan had not responed to my complaintl. The DBO told me they would send them a reminder notice and give them another 5 days. They finally responded to the DBO but not to me as they were told to do by the DBO.  I'm already at a disadvantage and yet they were given additional time to respond.

I am not waiting on the DBO to make a determination. I am willing and able to appeal the decision if it is not found in my favor. I have done title loans in the past. not with this company, and I know how they work and what to expect but I never expected anything like this. I hope a class action law suit if filed against this company. The should not be in this business. They are liars and thiefs.

Everything I have said in this complaint is true and correct.

2014-01-09

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/09/2014 03:06 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/City-Title-Loan-DBA-City-Loan-/Long-Beach-California-90807/City-Title-Loan-DBA-City-Loan-repossessed-my-vehicle-and-sold-it-at-auction-less-then-30-1114117. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on City Title Loan DBA City Loan

I could never get a copy of my contract

AUTHOR: Sassy - ()

I wish I knew what my contract said. The copies sent to me via email were blacked out-and I mean completely blacked out. My requests for it to be sent regular mail went unanswered. I finally receieved a copy of the response city loan sent to the DBO and its just full of lies. I was able to file a rebuttal and send along proof they weren't being honest. City loan said I never called their office or communicated with them-lie- I was able to get copies of my phone records that showed every call I made to them, date and time and length of call.  I also sent in all the communation through email I had with city loan and even a few text messages. The best of all is city loan sent me a copy of the response they sent to DBO, however, the response they sent to the DBO did not show me as being "CC" (a copy sent to me) but on the copy they sent me, it showed me as being "CC". Clearly a perfect example of how city loan will try to cover up their mistakes rather then take responsiblity for their actions.

My point is this. When you call and speak to a supervisor, and you're told everything is ok and whatever arraingments have made with this supervisor have been accepted, there should be no question. This is what happened to me. I spoke to a supervisor, he assured me everything was fine, send my payment in, explained how to use the moneygram method, then turned around and repo'd my vehicle? No I don't think so. No one at this office communicated with anyone else. You would think it would be put in the computer that these arraignments were made but oh no, not at city loan. They are ignorant jerks. I don't know how they got their jobs but it wasn't from being educated.  It was also pointed out that I didn't communicate with my account manager "walter" but he was never my account manager and if he was someone forgot to tell me because I have emails that clearly state Erica is my account manager, and the person I was communicating with. I'm glad I didn't delete any of my emails as they are my proof that this company lies and will do anything to cover up for their mistakes. I am now working with the DBO to get this resolved. This is the most unprofessional, unethical, ignorant and rude company I have ever dealt with and I warn anyone -DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY-DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKES MANY OF US ALREADY HAVE-FIND A DIFFERENT LOAN COMPANY-CITY LOAN WILL ACT SWEET AND FRIENDLY UNTIL YOU RECEIEVE YOU CHECK-THEN IT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL GAME AND NO IN THAT OFFICE IS PROFESSIONAL, INTELLEGENT OR KIND. BEWARE-STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY-THEY WILL TAKE YOUR VEHICLE AND RIP YOU OFF!

What does your loan agreement say?

AUTHOR: Crucible - ()

It appears from your post that you were late paying.   Just not 30 days late.   Like most loans, title loan contracts do not usually allow a 30 day grace period.  In fact, since title loans are high risk (i.e. no credit worthiness req'd), their contracts generally do not allow for any leeway if your payment is delinquent.

What does your particular contract say about the consequences of late payments?  Whether this is actually a ripoff is dependent on whether they are breaching the contract terms.