barely

• Updated: Fri, October 12, 2012

• Reported By: alievans77 — Perry Iowa United States of America
claims to be US Dept of Treasury
not sure Nationwide United States of America

claims to be US Dept of Treasury caller claims to be US Dept of Treasury with a grant for me that I need to claim by providing them my bank information all over, Nationwide

I had been receiving a call from the same number approx. 5 times a day for a week.  When I answered it was a delayed connection, so it annoyed me and I hung up.  This last time I decided to see who it actually was since it was a long distance number.
I was connected to someone on a very poor connection who spoke broken english and was clearly reading from a script.  This person informed me that they were with the US Dept of Treasury and were calling to tell me that I had been awarded a grant of over $4000.  He then proceeded to tell me the different ways I could go about getting my "award", all of which included me giving him my personal banking information.  He asked for my bank account information, credit or debit card numbers, he even asked if I had a prepaid credit card that he could use to deposit my award.
When I asked him for verification of his employ with the US Gov't (although the whole time I knew it was a scam, I was curious to see how far he would take it), he informed me that after providing him my bank information he would give me an approval number for my grant and that I would have my money in 2 hours.  I told him I would like a contact number and he hesitated but did provide me with a number.  I was online when I answered the call so I googled the number as he gave it to me and there were numerous fraud alerts for these people.
I laughed to myself and then informed the caller what I was reading about this scam. He pretended to not understand and when I informed him I was now recording his call and would be contacting the authorities, well, he hung up :)

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/12/2012 02:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/claims-to-be-US-Dept-of-Treasury/nationwide/claims-to-be-US-Dept-of-Treasury-caller-claims-to-be-US-Dept-of-Treasury-with-a-grant-for-954241. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on claims to be US Dept of Treasury