Complaint Review: Clark's Auto Repair and Machine Shop

• Updated: Sun, May 12, 2013

• Reported By: mmsneak — San Jose California
Clark's Auto Repair and Machine Shop
10270 Imperial Ave, cupertino, California USA

Clark's Auto Repair and Machine Shop Paid $4850 to have shop replace my transmission in August 2010 cupertino California

In July 2010 my 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse's transmission ceased.  I called several transmission repair shops.  I asked each one how much it would cost (an estimate) and how long it would take to get the job done.  Unfortuantely, I decided to go with Clark's Auto Repair and Machine shop in Cupertino, CA.

I was told it would take 7-10 days to replace my transmission with a new one.  I signed the document to authorize their work.  It stated the same 7-10 day time frame and an estimate of $4500.  They offered a 30-day money back warrantee on their work.  I also signed that document.

After waiting for more than 3 weeks, I had to physically return to Clark's to get an update.  (The phone was not typically answered, but when it was, employees would say that they could not find their boss, or he was in a meeting, etc.  The messages were not ever returned.)

The employees were equally as poor in terms of customer service in person as they had been on the telephone.  I was left waiting (the only customer in the shop) for nearly an hour.  Finally, the manager emerged from the nearby cubicles.  He stated that there was a problem with the transmission vendor... they had made a mistake with the shipment.  This seemed like an obvious excuse.  But the manager assured me the work would be completed before the end of the following week.

Nearly 2 weeks later I  received a telephone call that my car was ready for pick up.  The price (naturally) was higher than their original quote--and it would now be $4850.  I paid for my car repair and left the shop, however, before I pulled out of the parking lot, I realized that my car was not fixed.  The "new" transmission was broken, slipping in and out of gears so severely that it could not be driven.

I walked back into Clark's and tried hard to control my blood pressure.  I asked what happened.  Got no answer.  Employees scattered.  Manager returned to front of store, where I was waiting AGAIN.  He told me that I could leave the car again.  No cost would be charged to fix the transmission with another one.  I signed a document that agreed no additional charges would be given on my car.

The next day the shop contacted me and said that he could not guarantee how long it would take for another new transmission to come in--so could give no estimate whatsoever on time, AND I would need to pay another $4500!  I mentioned the 30 day money back guarantee, manager said that it only applied to parts and not labor.  And that the $4500 was all labor.  Which I would need to pay for again.  Bologna!

I was extremely angry.  I contacted the Bureau of Automotive Repair in California.  The investigator spoke to me and opened a case to investigate their business practices.  I was finally sent a check for $400.  But that was all.  I managed to get the Eclipse to a dealership and traded it for something else.

Bottom line, stay away from these horrible people and this EXTREMELY dishonest shop.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/12/2013 01:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Clarks-Auto-Repair-and-Machine-Shop/cupertino-California-95014/Clarks-Auto-Repair-and-Machine-Shop-Paid-4850-to-have-shop-replace-my-transmission-in-1050246. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Clark's Auto Repair and Machine Shop