Complaint Review: CNY SPCA

• Submitted: Sun, October 03, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, April 29, 2010

• Reported By:Brewerton New York
CNY SPCA
5878 East Molloy Road Syracuse, New York U.S.A.

CNY SPCA Adopt animal shelter dog abuse Don't let your Animals go Here Ripoff Conditions Are Deplorable, dedicated to the aggressive adopting procedures for an Inhumane shelter ripoff fraud donations where are they going? Please help adopt get authorities to investigate! Syracuse New York

*Consumer Comment: Things have Changed

*Consumer Suggestion: It may be bad there-I don't know

*UPDATE Employee: CNY SPCA

*UPDATE Employee: Malicious Charges

I recently visited the CNY SPCA to adopt a pet. Upon my arrival, I was surprised to see animals in such poor conditions. I spoke with employees & found out that their goal is to merely keep the animals okay it is not their job to keep them happy. Despite all of the toy drives & donations and public donation requests I was told that they DO NOT give the dogs toys to play with or blankets because they will just be destroyed. The animal toys and blankets are kept in bins and rarely used.

The dogs are each walked ONLY once a week, and this is their ONLY form of human interaction, aside from daily feedings. They are very concerned about the spread of diseases and need to install antibacterial gel dispensers in the facility rather than deny the animals human interaction.

I was also surprised to learn that many animals (especially young ones) are unadoptable for MONTHS while waiting for their designated veterinarian to be spayed/neutered, have medical check-ups, shots, etc. Furthermore, smaller dogs are not given adequate supplies to keep themselves warm all of the kennels are equipped with dog doors that allow them to go outside, yet as the weather changes the smaller dogs are shivering in the corners. I asked why they weren't given blankets (even though they are listed as one of their donation items) and was again told that they will just destroy them.

Some of the smaller dogs appear to have a minor skin disorder that is easily remedied with the proper shampoo and/ or dip. It is not reason to make an animal nadoptable since it is easily cured. I just wonder why the " designated vet" is not instructing the SPCA shelter attendants in treating it. Most people do not want to adopt an animal that has patches of hair an pink scaling areas of bald skin.

When I expressed wanting to volunteer I was told that the only position available was that of the person who takes a dog on visits to local nursing homes. At first, I was happy to think that the dogs were being taken out of the shelter for human interaction but then I came to learn that the dog that is being taken to facilities is NOT a dog from the shelter, it is a dog that already has a home.

Also, their website, www.cnyspca.org, doesn't have ANY pictures of animals! I was told that their webmaster (A PAID CONTRACTOR) doesn't know how to upload photos! I suggested that I could take pictures of animals & upload them to the site for free & was denied permission.

All in all, I feel that these animals are being kept in deplorable conditions with little hope of being adopted. There are animals that have been there for YEARS. I hardly see the point in even having a facility that is not dedicated to the aggressive adopting procedures of worthwhile shelters. Where are all of the donations going? It doesn't seem like they are going to the improvement of these animals lives.

Instead of paying for food & housing on young animals put them at the front of the facility (instead of behind a sheet or in a closed off room where they are not viewable to the public) and make new owners sign a contract stating they will be spayed/neutered within a given time period. Often shelters will even give a portion of the adoption fee back to them in the form of a medical voucher. Take older animals to local pet stores for Adoption Days

I even read one article stating that the shelter DID NOT have heat last winterthis is unacceptable. I feel that sponsors and those that donate to the shelter are being misled. They are merely paying to keep these animals alive with a small chance at a happy future. This, to me, is the worst form of animal cruelty NO HOPE. I would rather expose this great injustice to their sponsors and have the facility close than to let these animals go on in their current state.

I am previously from another State where the SPCA has wonderful facilities with on-site veterinary care and many useful volunteer positons avaiable 24/7. Younger animals are barely in the shelter for longer than a weeknot for months as in CNY SPCA.

I would love the opportunity to step up and turn this facility around, but more than anything I would love for these animals to be given at least the CHANCE of a happy future.

Please help, these animals are in serious need. If you can adopt and animal from this facility you are doing unsurmountable good for animal kind.

Autumn
Somewhere, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/03/2004 10:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CNY-SPCA/Syracuse-New-York-13211/CNY-SPCA-Adopt-animal-shelter-dog-abuse-Dont-let-your-Animals-go-Here-Ripoff-Conditions-A-111227. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CNY SPCA

Things have Changed

AUTHOR: animal activist - (United States of America)

It has been quite a while since the orginal report was filed, and comments posted.  Thus, I wanted to set the record straight.

The CNYSPCA is a limited-admittance animal welfare organization - they do not euthanize for space.  Therefore, some animals will be there, awaiting their "forever home" anywhere from several days to one year.  That is because the CNYSPCA does not put a time limit on any animals' life.

Each dog does indeed have blankets, and on occasion toys.  Both must be washed daily to decrease the chance of illness or disease.  They are also given treats, in addition to their meals.  Several dog walkers visit the shelter each day, and get out as many dogs as possible for one-on-one contact as well as mental and physical exercise.

It is the shelter's policy, as well as state law, that mandates pets being adopted from animal welfare organizations MUST be spayed or neutered PRIOR to leaving the shelter.  Accross the country, shelters have played with different ideas and ways to adopt out animals prior to being altered; contracts, payments with refunds...  HOWEVER, none of these work as well at PREVENTING unwanted litters, thus adding to the imense problem of pet-overpopulation.

Other updates: *The website DOES have pictures, along with info about the animal, *ALL animals in their care are kept warm and cozy,  *There are 2 "meet & greet" rooms for potential adopters to meet with any adoptable pet, *Animals from the shelter are brought to community fairs and educational events - all in the hopes of educating the public about responsible guardianship as well as the humane treatment for all living creatures, *Many volunteer opportunities exist, and one just has to fill out an application and attend a volunteer orientation to start the process.

Lastly, to address the presence (or lack thereof) of young dogs and cats (Puppies & Kittens): Both dogs and cats can go into heat multiple times per year, however the most prevalant time for litters is Spring.  Small dogs, in general, as well as puppies and kittens are the first to be adopted from ANY shelter - so you will not see as many.  It is possible that any given shelter will not have puppies or kittens in their care - due to weather and heat cycles of the animals in that geographical area.

I'm all for people voicing their opinions, in addition to letting the management of any facilty know of concerns one may have (I just called my dentist's office re: administrative procedures).  I think everyone needs to experience things for themselves, and make their own opinions, rather than believing everything they hear and read.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

It may be bad there-I don't know

AUTHOR: Lola - (U.S.A.)

But please don't go to the newspaper to get puppies or kittens. any reputable breeder doesn't need to advertise in the newspaper and if someone is giving away free puppies- they need to get their dog fixed so she won't have any more puppies. I have raised many abandoned kittens and have adopted them out- i would never put them in the newspaper-too many sick people out there that will use them as bait for dog fighting or some other sick practice. I usually go to vets bulliten boards or some place where it's unlikely to get a mean person adopting from me. Usually if you put like a 10 or 15 fee-it will deter some people who just want a free animal to kill. Believe it or not there are people like that out there. Just be careful where you get your animals and PLEASE no pet stores-that's the worst.

We went down ther to the SPCA in Matty dale.
I am with the military and have lived about everywhere in the country. In fact,our last dog came from the SPCA. Usually they are alright places.
This SPCA in Mattydale is kinda run down and institutional. The workers were all congregated in the front talking. I wouldn't have cared but we wanted to have one of the dogs taken out for a closer look.
Dogs had no newspaper , blankets, or toys and cold and loud. They had wet floors and sheets hanging around.
One nice old boy had a big sore on his hip that didn't look like it was being treated. Most looked dirty and very sad. There were no young puppies which seemed odd.
I sure wouldn't want to be a dog there. It looked like a animal POW camp!
Cats looked OK but wife wanted a tiny kitten. Got a frisky one out of the newspaper for free. The wife loves him. SPCA didn't have any and would have charged $89.00
I still haven't got a dog. Man, I want to help get a dog OUT of that place, but I'd be paying over a hundred dollars for a dirty smelly dog old dog that might die tomorrow. Sorry folks but I can do better than that in the newpaper.

CNY SPCA

AUTHOR: Patricia - (U.S.A.)

This is a diatribe of a very troubled individual. With one exception, this harangue is filled with lies, distortions and overwhelming ignorance. The one exception is that we were, indeed, without heat in one kennel last January. Two ancient furnaces failed, which were immediately replaced by two very generous firms in our community, and heat was restored within 24 hours. While replacement installation was in progress the animals were kept warm with blankets and portable heaters.

We will not dignify these ramblings by responding to each and every malicious charge. We are extremely proud of the care and attention given to each and every animal in our shelter. Our shelter is open to the public six days a week, and we are certain that any reasonable individual who chooses to visit us will find these vicious charges to be without credence,

Malicious Charges

AUTHOR: Patricia - (U.S.A.)

This is a diatribe of a very troubled individual. With one exception, this harangue is filled with lies, distortions and overwhelming ignorance. The one exception is that we were, indeed, without heat in one kennel last January. Two ancient furnaces failed, which were immediately replaced by two very generous firms in our community, and heat was restored within 24 hours. While replacement installation was in progress, the animals were kept warm with blankets and portable heaters.

We will not dignify these ramblings by responding to each and every malicious charge. We are extremely proud of the care and attention given to each and every animal in our shelter. Our shelter is open to the public six days a week, and we are certain that any reasonable individual who chooses to visit us will find these vicious charges to be without credence.