Complaint Review: Cognito Danes

• Updated: Tue, May 22, 2012

• Reported By: Shannon Vass — Poplar Bluff Missouri United States of America
Cognito Danes
Wellspring San Antonio, Texas United States of America

Cognito Danes Bailey Rubenking San Antonio TX Malnutrioned puppy died of seizures! San Antonio, Texas

*General Comment: Just a Shame

*General Comment: Anon in Victoria

*General Comment: Did you just feel the need?

*General Comment: What a joke

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Truth is NOT slander!

*General Comment: What is BETWEEN the lines is the problem

*Author of original report: Ridiculously spoken

*General Comment: The Proof is in the Pudding

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Lets put this all togather!

My name is Shannon Vass owner of Cripple Creek Great Danes in Poplar Bluff Missouri. We proudly own 3 AKC registered Great danes. Sasha Brindle female, Miles Fawn with white markings male and Pepper Harlequin female. We currently breed Sasha our Brindle female and Miles our fawn male together and have had one litter of puppies. Beautiful puppies! Sasha was bred to Miles on her 2nd heat cycle. One of the puppies from her litter was hand deleivered to a Bailey Rubenking in San Antonio Tx. The arrangement was so set forth that when her Dam Phantom delivered puppies that we would be given a puppy from her litter therefore evenly trading puppies. Phantom was not allowed to birth naturally and Bailey Rubenking had a csection performed on Phantom and did not leave her at the vet for observation and Phantom died the same day of her csection leaving Bailey to hand raise her puppies. bailey had 3-4 of the puppies put to sleep for what reason is unknown as she did not care to share her vets opinion on the subject. [continued below]....
..... After the puppies were put to sleep I chose the puppy now known as Bandit as the puppy i wanted. Bailey did inform me one of the puppies she did not put to sleep had a seizure problem and to my knowledge she sold this puppy with the seizure condition.I recieved many emails about Bailey Rubenking and the kind of reputation she had as a breeder which was not a good one but being two states away I decided to put my heart out and trust this persons word hoping there would be no issues with my puppy to come. I funded the air transport from Texas to Missouri and questioned Bailey several times about Bandits hearing and all she ever told me is he looked at her like he could hear. Never any information from a vet that he had any hearing impairment. Upon arrival at the airport when I took bandit from his crate he was very skinny and his hair was falling out in places and it was almost immediately apparent that something was wrong with this puppy. After examination by my vet who will not be named publically due to discretion and risk of harrassment from the breeder Bailey Rubenking, it was deemed that Bandit was unilaterally deaf, possibly blind in one eye and very malnutrioned. 5 days after receiving Bandit I awoke on that Saturday morning to Bandit having a seizure in his crate. We rushed him to the vet immediatley and after a long hour of waiting the vet informed us he did not make it. I was crushed in every way possible but also not surprised as I began to think back on everything. I notified Bailey as soon as it all happened and her heartfelt sympathies were given. I opted out of a necropsy seeing as my vet bill was already almost $800 that day. Bailey did not offer to help to pay for any expenses for Bandit and I gave her a date that the vet would hold the body until they performed a mass cremation. She told me she did not need a necropsy. 2 days later I began receiving very hateful threatening text messages and phone calls from Bailey Rubenking that I should have had the necropsy performed for her and she did not beleive bandit died???? I was at a loss for all the crazy, hateful statements coming from her and she was asked numerous times to stop calling and texting. After several more threats were received by text to me and my husband we notified law enforcement and they called her and requested she stop before charges were pressed and informed her there was no puppy at the residence as they came to our home to take our complaint......the texts and calls have stopped but the slander on the internet continues...and for what? She still has the puppy I traded her and I ended up with dead puppy. This statement is for anyone reading the derogatory statements made by breeder Bailey Rubenking of Cognito Danes in San Antonio Texas about Shannon Vass of Cripple Creek Great Danes in Poplar Bluff Missouri. We just want peace and to be able to grieve without being harrassed. Thank you

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2012 11:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cognito-Danes/San-Antonio-Texas-63901/Cognito-Danes-Bailey-Rubenking-San-Antonio-TX-Malnutrioned-puppy-died-of-seizures-San-Ant-836494. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cognito Danes

#1 General Comment

Just a Shame

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

I have never seen so much madness in my life that I have seen in the Dane world! Is there a shortage in Danes? I would beg the answer to the question to how many of you breeders show dogs? I mean seriously show? There are many breeds that do not even have rescues and the reason being there isn't a need since there is not mass breeding going on with that breed. I am totally against breeding as long as there are dogs of any breed sitting in shelters. Each and every breeder is going to think they have the best of the best. Just a bunch of females fighting among one another. What I have to say has no impact on anyone and I really do not care. But I am sure if the bitches had a voice I am sure they would not want to be breed over and over. And I truly believe if you Dane is a family member you would not do that to them for the sole reason??? Oh not for the money for sure....

#2 General Comment

Anon in Victoria

AUTHOR: KrisG - (USA)

Actually it does. doing more than just putting two dogs together and letting them breed is the difference between a real breeder vs some hack just pumping out puppies. Any idiot can let their dogs breed. REAL breeders take into considerations, pedigree, conformation, work ability, basic health and genetic health etc.

That said I don't even know why anyone(see the response above yours) is even still commenting on this report since its already come out on Bailey's report that Bandit is in fact still alive.

#3 General Comment

Did you just feel the need?

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

Is there a reason this post keeps on going? What the hell is a real breeder? Does take a rocket science to put two dogs together and let them do what is natural! After reading all these post I am beginning to wonder if there is some jealousy going on. If everyone thinks so badly of Bailey ... She sure stays on a lot of minds. And I think this is what is going on with this last post. Why would you even bother unless... You had bailey on your mind... Ha!

#4 General Comment

What a joke

AUTHOR: Vulpine - (United States of America)

I'm familiar with "Cognito Danes" and think it's a joke what she is doing.  She begs for advice from real breeders and then ignores it when given.  You get what you pay for.

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Truth is NOT slander!

AUTHOR: Bailey - (United States of America)

Chris and Shannon, I can sue your wife for slander seeing how it was her that started this war by making public claims about the health of the puppy I produced! Shannon stated he was malnourished, under weight, hair falling out, deaf and blind and had hip problems already. Posting the TRUTH is NOT slander, However; you REFUSE to provide vet documentation to back up your slanderous remarks. Without proof it is hear-say and defamation of character. I can sue Shannon for whatever I lists in her law suit and I can also sue Shannon for any damages or potential loss done to Cognito Danes reputation! For a breeding program those fees can add up, that im sure you are well aware of since you too are a breeder!

As im reading these post and rebutles I cant help but chuckle at the things Shannon and Chris are stating. Shannon, who goes looking for another puppy soon after the death of the one you claimed you loved so much? Im sorry, but that is just wrong!! In fact, so much of everything taking place is just wrong!! I have every right to assume your not telling the truth about the death of Bandit. Was it not you who told me that you would provide me with a copy of the Necropsy? Was it not you who said you were on your way to the bank to withdraw funds for the Necropsy? Funny how you changed your mind about getting the Necropsy only AFTER I asked you for a copy of the report!! Then you start slandering me on Facebook and now on Rip Off Report about health claims that YOU refuse to back up with proof!! Like I said, your story does not add up!! Shannon, its only looking bad for you by not providing me with vet documentation as to what happened to the puppy I sent you. You look like the guilty party to me and pretty much everyone else following along with this report! You think only 30 people are reading this? PLEASE..... Any potential puppy buyer of yours that decides to type search your name and or kennel name before, during or after purchasing your puppy, will find this report! So why wont you provide me with vet proof of what your claiming? Ahhh Yes,,,,, Your defense is that if you provide me with your vet info, I will then in-turn harass your vet just like im doing to you now! Frankly I dont see how I am harassing you, but ok! However my question is, How do you KNOW that I will harass your vet? Isnt your vet an Adult? Dont you think that he/she can speak for them selves on whether or not they want to speak with me in regards to Bandit? And should I get out of line and start "harassing" them as you say I will, then he/she needs to hoist up their big kid britches, be an adult and press charges on me them selves! Tell me Shannon, if I as a potential puppy buyer had asked to speak with your vet like many do, would you deny me or grant me permission? If you grant me permission, then how is this any different from allowing me to speak with your vet? Oh yes, harassment! Ok, Better yet here is one for you that you cant argue..... Why dont you contact MY VET and give HIM your vet info and allow MY VET to speak with your vet in regards to Bandit!!!

As far as where I and many others stand, it appears to us that you are the guilty party and that you culled that puppy either through your vet or done by your own hand, or you re-sold him to another party on CKC papers. Your plan was to tell me he is dead! Only problem is you were not expecting me to investigate this situation and now your stuck..... Guess you wernt expecting me to put a stop on his akc papers either, where you? Oh yeah I remember what you told me about falsifying akc papers!! Just like you wernt expecting me to have Bandits Micro-chip placed in my name!!

So tell all of us Shannon, If this is all untrue then PROVE IT! Prove that Bandit is dead!!! Give me or my vet permission to speak with your vet in regards to Bandit or provide me with a certified death certificate with full description of Bandit on letter head paper signed by the attending vet along with full detailed report of Bandits exam outlining all these poor health claims for proof!!

I doubt you will!! But I certainly do feel sorry for you.... I suggest you pray that I decide not to take you to court for slandering me and my kennel name!!

Shannon Vass, Your actions speak louder than words!!

Definition of SLANDER transitive verb 1. to utter slander against : defame 2. defamation; calumny: rumors full of slander. 3. a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name. 4. Law . defamation by oral utterance rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

Defamation, which is sometimes known as "defamation of character." Defamation is false and unprivileged spoken words or written publication, which exposes any living person to hatred, contempt, ridicule, or which causes him/her to be shunned or avoided, or which has a tendency to injure him/her in his/her trade or occupation.

#6 General Comment

What is BETWEEN the lines is the problem

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

That is what I would guess got this started between these two breeders. One ( Bailey Rubenking ) reading between the lines and realized something seemed amiss and her wanting to know exactly what happened to the puppy. You as a breeder would expect the same if someone told you one of your puppy's died. No one really cares what people think on Facebook... Do you really take Facebook serious? If you do then you really need to get involved with your real life. What I do not understand if there is nothing amiss and you can prove what you say and make Bailey Rubenking look like the biggest flake and you have the ability to do that with proof of everything you say, then way not do it? Aww yes, it is what is between the lines...........................

Ridiculously spoken

AUTHOR: Shannon Vass - (United States of America)

My last post would be in reply to our audience which im sure is rather small because no one aeems to really care about thiS issue besides Bailey Rubenking and myself. RIP BANDIT. The eyes which fall upon this utteely ridiculous situation will know the just truth after reading between the lines. A clear cut case of harrassment and i am sure i would not be in business long if i had acted upon situations as this other party has. She will have the last post as i am sure she did on the other page but what really matters is the situation at hand. Some people need to grow upi will read no more of this if anyone replies because my life rrvolves around my family and business not trying to make life miserable for others because i can?

#8 General Comment

The Proof is in the Pudding

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

As I see it, we have one breeder that has shown proof to what she is alleging in the form of pictures, document and Veterinarian information. And then we have another breeding that has given no proof to allegations in no form but, her word. That alone makes things less believable. Some times a person's word is not good enough and proof is needed. So I would say if you can not show proof of what you are alleging then I would think... "Put up or Shut up" The proof really is in the pudding. Even if this be came a law suit it would not hold up with only your word. I see a healthy looking puppy in the pictures. Also if this puppy was ill and neglected looking why, didn't you contact the SPCA about animal cruelty or why did you take a sick looking puppy as you said this puppy looked? But all this is craziness. I myself would have to believe the breeder that has given proof and I would have to question the one that has no proof or is not offering up proof. A simple phone call to a Veterinarian would put this to rest.

#9 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Lets put this all togather!

AUTHOR: Bailey - (United States of America)

Report: #836322 This is the report I did FIRST and this is clearly a retaliation for what I reported!

I will ask one more time Shannon Vass WHO is the vet and vet report to back your claims?!?!?!

Here are the pictures of Shannone holding Bandit at the airport that she sent me! How does he look to you?!?! He is a 9 week old Dane in the pictures taken Jan 31, 11 and if he was in such bad shape how come you are smilling?!?!?