Complaint Review: Colkim kennels

• Updated: Mon, April 09, 2012

• Reported By: Jim Lumley — Buckeye Arizona United States of America
Colkim kennels
1301 hialeah road sarasota, Florida United States of America

Colkim kennels Laura Colgate and Betty Colgate Colkim kennels. Purchased a 11 week old shar-pei puppy with deformities from this breeder. Sarasota, Florida sarasota, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Colkim Kennels Sarasota, Florida

March of 2011 we purchased a puppy from this breeder, name at the time of purchase was Heath, in November of 2011 I took him to a Shar-pei specialist due to his awkward gait. The doctors thru xrays, diagnosed that his hip sockets are not normal- they are flattened which basically he has nonexistent hip sockets. He is now walking pigeon toed with a severe limp. I have made numerous attempts to reach this breeder including emails with no response. His diagnosis is not promising he will need to be on pain medication and is currently showing signs of arthritis. He isn't able to take walks with his 2 canine brotthers and stairs are very difficult. During a recent vet visit we were told that his nostrils are to small without an opening and has difficulty breathing through his nose.

Colkim kennels claim that they are not a puppy mill and they are focused on the quality of their dogs and not the quantity. Laurel Colgate claims to have a vet degree comparable to a RN and their main goal is to produce healthy pups. We were told that we are getting a stunning pup with a clean bill of health, instead we got a stunning dog with a great temperate and severe disabilities. We love our dog Rango very much, but we are extremely unhappy with Colkim kennels for selling a puppy with these disabilities.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/09/2012 07:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Colkim-kennels/sarasota-Florida-34241/Colkim-kennels-Laura-Colgate-and-Betty-Colgate-Colkim-kennels-Purchased-a-11-week-old-sh-866171. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Colkim kennels

Colkim Kennels Sarasota, Florida

AUTHOR: Lynne Myers - ()

Yes, I agree that Colkim Kennels located in Sarasota, Florida, IS A PUPPY MILL.  I purchased a Shar Pei puppy from them in January 2004.  After two years, my dog began having fevers and swollen hocks.  My vet diagnosed my dog with Shar Pei fever which is a hereditary trait passed down via poor breeding.  In doing further research on Colkim Kennels, I discovered that they are, in fact, a puppy mill.  The owners, Lauren and Betty, let their dogs run lose amongst each other.  Thus, there is inbreeding occurring; they really do not know exactly the true fathers of their litters.  Unfortunately, my dog had to be put to sleep in January 2010 at the young age of 6, due to complications from Shar Pei fever (kidney and liver failure).  Upon my diligent research to find another reputable breeder, I spoke with many breeders throughout the country who advised me to stay away from Colkim Kennels as they are truely a puppy mill.  Sadly, it is the dogs who suffer in these puppy mills.  I did purchase a new Shar Pei puppy from Epics Shar Pei (Janice Sayce) located in Albion, Maine.  This dog came with a five year health guarantee.  She is now four years old and extremely health, excellent temperment, and very friendly.  She was housebroken when I received her at eight weeks of age.  She had full certifications, up to date shots, worming, etc.  I highly recommend this breeder and if she cannot accommodate your needs, she can recommend other reputable breeders.

Colkim Kennels needs to be shut down.  How can this be accomplished?  Let me know.

Lynne Myers