Complaint Review: Colletti Motorsports

• Updated: Tue, April 08, 2014

• Reported By: John — Tampa Florida
Colletti Motorsports
2835 Main St Moraine, Ohio USA

Colletti Motorsports Failed to complete on time. Failed to deliver promised performance. Major part failed after 1200 miles. Moraine Ohio

*Author of original report: Photo

*Author of original report: Detail of events blog

*Author of original report: Better Business Bureau report

*Author of original report: Latest update

*Author of original report: email exchange between myself and Colletti Motor Sports

*Author of original report: Photo

*Author of original report: Engine now full taken apart thanks to Colletti's

*Author of original report: Additional Damage Recently Discovered

Colletti Motorsports failed me miserably on many accounts. But what finally drove me over the edge was when the head gasket went bad on my 1987 Buick Grand National after only 1200 miles.  Colletti's used a head gasket known to fail often on these cars.  I asked Colletti's to pay for only half the cost of replacing the head gasket.  They refused.  I contacted a lawyer and, unfortunately, it will not be worth the time or money to pursue court action.

To better understand the entire situation, the following is a letter I wrote to my attorney explaining the situation:

Nate,

Hello, this is John O****.  If you recall, you helped me in the lawsuit against Tony Scarberry.  I have another problem I may need help with.  I took my 1987 Buick Grand National, to be repaired, to Colletti Motorsports in Moraine, OH.  I took the vehicle to them in November of 2010. [continued below]....
.....  I anticipate the car to be finally drivable again next month.  That is 3 years since I originally took the car to Colletti's.  I now have KDK Performance checking over Colletti Motorsport's work and KDK Performance determined Colletti's used a head gasket known to fail on Buick Grand Nationals.  I asked Steve (the owner of Colletti's) if he would please pay half the cost of replacing the head gasket (total cost is slightly over $1200 to replace the head gasket).  I thought I has being more than fair and reasonable by only asking for half the cost ($600).  Steve's response was "I do not warranty race engines."

I want to see if I have a case against Steve and if it will be worthwhile to pursue legal action.  I do not want this to turn into another Tony Scarberry lawsuit where I have justified cause for action but nothing to gain.  Steve Colletti has a legitimate business so I think there may be something to gain but I would like you to decide.

Basically my father died in November 2010 and left me some money.  I wanted to fix my car because it was broke down, and driving and caring for my car is something I really enjoy.  I also thought of my car as therapy in the loss of my father.  I really wanted my car to be done and ready for the coming summer (summer 2011).  I approached Steve and asked him if he could fix my car.  I chose Steve because my ex wife's father worked there and Steve's website claimed they were Turbo Specialists (which is no longer on their website I have noticed.)  I plainly told Steve that I wanted the car done by March 2011 and that I have heard many times that these Buicks are very tricky to work on.  I also wanted the car to be at least 500 Horsepower.  He said he could do it.  I asked him again, are you sure?  He said it would be no problem.

He did not even start working on the car until February, if I recall correctly.  My first indication that he did not have the first clue what he was dealing with was when he suggested he change the crankshaft and timing order of the engine.  Ever since that, I was very nervous and stressed out all the time about whether or not my car would run correctly or "blow up" shortly after getting the car back.  I felt I had to "babysit" him every step of the way.  I also did my own research and had to tell him some things to do to the engine, like drilling out the oil holes in the engine block for better oil flow to the crankshaft.  He also charged me $600 for a set of 8 fuel injectors when the car is a 6 cylinder.  I am actually having those fuel injectors removed for some better ones, which he should have done in the first place.  KDK Performance is putting in better injectors at a cost of $425.  Steve basically gave me less performance at a higher cost by choosing the fuel injectors that he did.  And as many times as I told Steve he charged me for 8 fuel injectors, when I only needed 6 (about 3 times), he never apologized or offered a refund on that part.  Also, I do understand that businesses customarily mark up prices of parts they get, but I noticed Steve's mark up on prices were often 30% or more.

After feeling very nervous about Steve's choices, I decided to start ordering parts for the car myself.  I did this because I felt he was making poor choices and also marking the prices up much too high.  When I finally got the car back, after having to stop by and call the shop frequently and being very stressed and worried, it was the middle or end of July (July 2011).  I was very disappointed the car took so long, but at the time I was happy just to get it back and decided to forget about everything and hope the car would perform as expected.  The car ended up being nowhere near the 500 Horsepower I asked for but Steve said to just drive it and break it in and he would tune it at a later date.  So, after driving it approximately a month or so, I took the car back for some non-engine work.  Summer was over and the car needed minor non-engine work and I thought if the car was there, he would tune it correctly.  He fixed the non-engine items I had requested but still told me to break it in further.  Once I got the car back the second time, it started smoking badly and I returned it to Steve.  They could not figure out why it was smoking and I asked if they checked the turbo down pipe for oil stains that would indicate a turbo failure.  After finally checking my suggestion last and discovering I was correct, he said the turbo went bad.  It could be purely coincidental that the turbo went bad, but, in my opinion, it is very likely they did something wrong to make it go bad because it had never shown any indication of going bad.  When the turbo finally arrived and I got the car back the third time, it was January 2013.  The car was still not tuned and was seriously underperforming what was promised but I really did not want Steve touching or doing anything more to the car because I just simply did not trust him at all at this point.

I am living in Florida now, so I came and picked up the car in January 2013 and drove it to Tampa.  I wanted to make sure I barely drove the car and did not harm it because I wanted a true professional to check out Steve's work.  And as it turns out, Steve used a head gasket known to frequently fail in these cars.  I asked Steve for half the cost to replace it ($600), as I stated earlier, and his indication is that he would not.  Not only this, but on my drive down, a turbo hose blew in the middle of the night and I had to "limp" it to a Walmart to get parts to fix the turbo hose.  Also I found out that the transmission cooler, that Steve installed, was not hooked up and working properly.  I could have blown the new transmission that I had just put in it.  The transmission in it now is the fifth transmission I have had in it.  It took me awhile to finally find a good one.  I had not intention of letting Steve pick out a transmission.  With Steve's refusal of helping with the cost of his mistake, it has brought back all the memories of his failure with my car and I am just completely stressed out, anxious, angry, and irritated.

So, we have: 1. the car not being finished on time as promised, 2. excessive mark up of parts, 3. blown head gasket, 4. the car not performing as promised, and 5. the immense amount of stress and anxiety this has caused me.

Do I have a case?

Nate,

I forgot to mention that KDK Performance, in Orlando, has had my car now since January 2013.  I felt I had no choice but to keep it there and not drive it until Steve's work was fully checked out.  It is also embarrassing for me to have to take it to KDK Performance to have another mechanic's work checked.  I am sure KDK Performance is worried they could miss something or the car could be damaged by Steve's work and could go bad while at their shop causing me to think it's KDK's fault.  I have dealt with KDK many times in the past and fully trust them.  And it was they who told me to never let anyone but a Grand National specialist to ever work on my car.  I certainly wish I would have heeded that warning now.  And even though KDK is checking the car over, that does not mean that Steve's work could go bad shortly in the future. And I am really worried that it will and cost me much more money.  I think I spent around $15,000 with Steve Colletti but I would have to check the receipts to be sure.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2013 04:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Colletti-Motorsports/Moraine-Ohio-45439/Colletti-Motorsports-Failed-to-complete-on-time-Failed-to-deliver-promised-performance-1095528. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Colletti Motorsports

Detail of events blog

deathtocms.blogspot.co.uk

Better Business Bureau report

AUTHOR: John - ()

The BBB only keeps records public for 3 years on a business.  I am posting the report on here so it can be displayed indefinitely.

Also keep in mind that Colletti Motorsports was hoping to fool anybody reading this by inferring victory because the Ohio Attorney General closed the case. The Attorney General's protocol is to close the case no matter the resolution.  Colletti Motorsports used the Attorney General's closing of the case to try and fool people into believing the Attorney General had ruled in their favor.  Just another example of Colletti Motorsports's lack of integrity.

(Some of this is just a repeat from the original RipOff Report. But it is the full BBB report.)

11/04/2013 (me)

Colletti Motorsports failed me miserably on many accounts. But what finally drove me over the edge was when the head gasket went bad on my 1987 Buick Grand National after only 1200 miles. Colletti's used a head gasket known to fail often on these cars. I asked Colletti's to pay for only half the cost of replacing the head gasket. They refused.

Hello, this is John. I took my 1987 Buick Grand National, to be repaired, to Colletti Motorsports in Moraine, OH. I took the vehicle to them in November of 2010. I anticipate the car to be finally drivable again next month. I now have KDK Performance checking over Colletti Motorsport's work and KDK Performance determined Colletti's used a head gasket known to fail on Buick Grand Nationals. I asked Colletti's if they would please pay half the cost of replacing the head gasket ($1248). Steve's response was "I do not warranty race engines."

Basically my father died in November 2010 and left me some money. I wanted to fix my car because it was broke down, and driving and caring for my car is something I really enjoy. I also thought of my car as therapy in the loss of my father. I really wanted my car to be done and ready for the coming summer (summer 2011). I approached Steve and asked him if he could fix my car. I chose Steve because my ex wife's father worked there and Steve's website claimed they were Turbo Specialists (which is no longer on their website I have noticed.) I plainly ï''told Steve that I wanted the car done by March 2011 and that I have heard many times that these Buicks are very tricky to work on. I also wanted the car to be at least 500 Horsepower. He said he could do it. I asked him again, are you sure? He said it would be no problem.

My first indication that he did not have the first clue what he was dealing with was when he suggested he change the crankshaft and timing order of the engine. Ever since that, I was very nervous and stressed out all the time about whether or not my car would run correctly or "blow up" shortly after getting the car back. I felt I had to "babysit" him every step of the way. He also charged me $600 for a set of 8 fuel injectors when the car is a 6 cylinder. And as many times as I told Steve he charged me for 8 fuel injectors, when I only needed 6 (about 3 times), he never apologized or offered a refund on that part. Also, I do understand that businesses customarily mark up prices of parts they get, but I noticed Steve's mark up on prices were often 30-50%.

After feeling very nervous about Steve's choices, I decided to start ordering parts for the car myself. I did this because I felt he was making poor choices and also marking the prices up much too high. When I finally got the car back, after having to stop by and call the shop frequently and being very stressed and worried, it was the middle or end of July (July 2011). I was very disappointed the car took so long, but at the time, I was happy just to get it back and decided to forget about everything and hope the car would perform as expected. The car ended up being nowhere near the 500 Horsepower I asked for.

I am living in Florida now, so I came and picked up the car in January 2013 and drove it to Tampa. I wanted to make sure I barely drove the car and did not harm it because I wanted a true professional to check out Steve's work. And as it turns out, Steve used a head gasket known to frequently fail in these cars. I asked Steve for half the cost to replace it, as I stated earlier, and his indication is that he would not. Not only this, but on my drive down, a turbo hose blew in the middle of the night and I had to "limp" it to a Walmart to get parts to fix the turbo hose. Also I found out that the transmission cooler, that Steve installed, was not hooked up and working properly. I could have blown the new transmission that I had just put in it.

11/15/2013 (colletti motorsports)

Mr. Olds was, to put it politely, a very difficult customer. He acquired an old 1987 Buick Grand National which barely ran, and wanted it made into, essentially, a race car. Our shop builds and races race cars, and we have been doing so for over 30 years. On November 9, 2010, the car arrives, barely running and knocking. We tell John he needs his motor rebuilt he gives his OK. He wanted us to build a "race-style" motor. This included, among other things, forged pistons, performance camshaft, bigger injectors, and other modifications. It is very important to note that this is a V-6 engine, not a V-8. He wanted us to build the engine to come as close as we could to producing 500 HP (at the flywheel). We ultimately achieved 340.86 HP and 405 ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheels (that is, AFTER the power has been transmitted through an automatic transmission and the remainder of the powertrain) as measured by a dynamometer. This means we achieved the goal.

However, it was a long road to get this 20+ year-old car to that level. The engine was completely disassembled. When we sent to block out to a reputable machine shop, we were told that the block was so worn that the cylinders would have to be "bored out" 60 thousandths over (the maximum an engine can usually be enlarged). Of course, this also meant trying to find .060" "over" forged pistons. Because this was such an unusual requirement, they had to be made; such are not ordinarily carried in stock. The crankshaft had to be machined .030" under. This was a "performance" engine (of sorts) originally from the factory. It had been used harshly and repeatedly. Little besides the block, heads, and crankshaft could be reused.

On June 21, 2011 the engine work is done and the engine is reinstalled into the car. We attempt to road test car. The transmission was no good. We called Olds and he says, "I knew something was wrong with it but I forgot to tell you." Now he has us take the transmission out and he takes the transmission to a shop Cincinnati to have it rebuilt. When he returns the transmission to us, we put it back in the car. It still does not work. He has the car towed to Cincinnati and they fix the transmission. He returns the car to us so that we can road test our work. He apologizes for the transmission shop's work. One of our mechanics, Bill, drives the car and says it has no brakes and the suspension is shot. John (Olds) talks with Bill and he agrees the car needs more work. We convert the brake system to a "Hydrovac," and rebuild the entire system. We also repair and upgrade the suspension and steering. We install extra gages for boost pressure, water temperature, oil pressure, and fuel pressure and install a custom shifter.

On August 15, 2011 the car is, we believe, finished. Olds picks up the car. There is some smoke on cold start up. Bill and I tell him to put some miles on the new engine and let the rings seat (we suggest 500 miles).

Months go by, and we do not hear from him. Because of this, we believe all is well and in the event all is not well, he will bring the car back in the spring when the engine is broken in. Around the middle of February, 2012 he complains of the smoke getting worse and he is making all kinds of threats. I tell him he is blindsiding me with his attitude and assure him if it is something we did I will take care of it. I ask him to please bring the car in and we will have a look. His answer is it's too much trouble for him to drop it off and he doesn't want to deal with this anymore and appoints his girlfriend, Kristen Buckley, his liaison to me. I tow the car to the shop at my cost ($120) and look at the engine. The problem turns out not to be with the engine, but instead to be a bad turbocharger. We did NOT work on the turbocharger. It was NOT part of what we were supposed to do. Olds is informed of the turbo problem, and that it should be replaced. I called around to suppliers to find what he wanted and no one had it on the shelf (in stock). As an alternative, I sent his old one to a turbo rebuilder. Instead, Olds eventually decides he is going to order his own aftermarket turbo to the "specs" he wants and orders it from Turbonetics.

It takes 10 months for the turbo to arrive. It arrives in December, 2012. We have to fabricate and change certain parts in order to make it function and fit properly. We do so. We also charge the A/C (for free), make sure the cruise control works (again, for free), and in general make sure the car runs well. I contact him (Kristen has by now dumped him, so I no longer have a liaison) and tell him the car is ready for pick up. He says he is in Florida and will let me know when he can get the car.

On January 2, 2013 Olds picks up the car. After we road test it together (and it all works fine) he announces he wants nothing to do with me and I will never hear from him again. He says he is driving straight down to Florida. We hear absolutely nothing from him until October 22, 2013. 10 months have gone by. Now, out of the blue, he first wants $600 from me supposedly as 1/2 the cost of replacement head gaskets, which while he never claimed, at least at first he never claimed, that either has failed. Instead, he claims he was told the head gaskets are "known" to fail. We used Fel-Pro gaskets. They are well known in racing. We have used Fel-Pro gaskets in a great many applications. They are an industry standard. I dispute the assertion that we used the wrong head gaskets. The head gaskets of this engine are no more prone to failure than any other. There is some "chatter" on the internet to the effect that some manifold gaskets sometimes fail, but that is only anecdotal, and that is not what he is claiming.

Race engines are not warranted. This is because they are built with the specific purpose of being used harshly. They are NOT built for ordinary street applications; rather, they are intended for high performance use. And, it SHOULD go without saying (at least to reasonable people), that there is necessarily an inverse relationship between high performance use and longevity, even with a standard street engine. Moreover, we do not know what he has done with or to the car since it last left our shop in February.

In addition, you should be aware that SOMEONE, perhaps using Mr. Olds' computer, has been engaged in questionable, if not downright illegal, conduct such as assuming my identity. I have notified the proper authorities. SOMEONE also has been sending messages under his former girlfriend's name. I have contacted her, and it is not she who has been doing this. I thus sincerely question Mr. Old's motives and veracity.

In sum, we did as we were asked. We nearly rebuilt an old, but rather rare, car for him. As soon as we would finish one problem, another would be brought to our attention. However, when we did deliver the car to him, it performed as he expected. We feel as if he is merely trying to take advantage of us, and we respectfully ask that you come to the same determination that we did as we were asked.

11/15/2013 (me)

First of all, I have owned this car for over 13 years. The fact that, in their response, they claim I acquired it, seems as though I just bought it and shows their lack of caring to know their customer. As I said before, I asked that the car be done by March 1 and that the car be 500+HP. It was known to Colletti's that it was to be rear wheel horsepower (rwhp). Nobody in the car community talks about having flywheel horsepower unless you specifically state that. Otherwise, it is implied that you are speaking of rwhp. Even when you buy a new car these days, the horsepower rating is rwhp. That Colletti's has tried to spin this horsepower situation to their advantage, shows their unethical and professional behavior. The finish date and horsepower promise were two major factors in choosing this shop and neither promise was fulfilled. If that promise was not given to me, I would have gone elsewhere.
I easily understand that this is a V-6 motor and many Buick Grand Nationals easily put out 500+RWHP with only "bolt-on" applications. This is easily known throughout the Turbo-Buick community and is why these cars have a reputation. Once again, the fact that this shop feels the need to explain this, points to their incompetence in handling this car.
This is also a well taken care of car. There is no need for them to say it is a 20+ year old car as if it was a "bomber." The first time ever snow has touched the paint of my car, since I have owned it, was in their care. The steel rims, which had very small rust spots that I kept at bay with regular cleaning, turned into large rust spots thanks to my car sitting outside during the winter months.
A few things they are not aware of, is that I know the car had already been bored 0.060 over. This had been done by Millet's Garage in Piqua, OH. When I was on leave from the Navy in approximately 2001, the car was completely rebuilt in 3 weeks by Millet's Garage. So I have no idea why they are saying it needed to be bored. Unless it was once again another frivolous charge. Millet's Garage had no problem finding pistons and having the car completely rebuilt in 3 weeks. So this leads me to believe Colletti's only deals with certain suppliers so they can get incentives or "kickbacks." What also leads me to believe this is, as I said in my first letter, they charged me for 8 fuel injectors instead of 6 (for this six cylinder car) when he easily could have just gotten 6 injectors from any reputable Turbo-Buick supplier. I easily found them when searching the internet. I doubt Colletti's also knows that I knew their mechanic Bill always took off for the entire month of December, leaving the shop undermanned (I was friends with Bill and his daughter). Yet I was told the car would still be done by March 1. I also know Bill was very unhappy with Mr. Colletti's business practices. This I also doubt Mr. Colletti knows.
As they state, the car was done on June 21, well after the promised date of March 1. My father was a Vietnam War Veteran, whom I very much loved, and was a car enthusiast as well. He died on Veteran's Day 2010. I wanted the car done by March 1 to enjoy it for the summer and for it to act as some sort of therapy for me as well. And I will once again state that they promised me the car would be done by March 1.
Their statement of quoting me as saying I knew there was something wrong with the transmission is false. The transmission had trouble in reverse but that is all I knew. It was still drivable as far as I knew and I told them that it had been acting strange in reverse only AFTER they asked me about it. Once again, their misquoting of me gives credence to their unprofessional and unethical behavior. I wanted to deal with the transmission problem myself, because as this point, I did not trust them. If I would have had them take care of the transmission, I would have expected it to have taken at least 3 times longer than it took me to deal with it, based on the experiences I was having with Colletti's. The transmission specialist explained to me in extreme rare cases, a seal will not hold and needs a retainer. The transmission ordeal delayed the car by maybe two weeks. I strongly believe if I would have had Colletti's deal with the transmission, I would have gotten an inferior product and it would have take much longer than two weeks.
The car did need some other repairs, so since the summer was pretty much over (I lost out on the time when I really wanted to have the car) and the car was not completely finished, i.e. tuned, I did have them do some other work in hopes that while it was there, they would finally complete it. I told Colletti's to put the miles on themselves because I wanted the car fully completed by them, which they did not do. The reason I wanted them to put the miles on it, is because I did not trust their work and was afraid of "blowing" up the motor and them blaming it on me. I also believe they were afraid the car would blow up and did not want to put miles on it themselves for hoping that it would "blow" up in my possession. I also do not drive the car in winter so how would I put miles on it? (as I previously stated, this car is well taken care of and is garaged every winter, unlike it was in their possession.)
When the car was returned, the air conditioning was not working and neither was the cruise control (both had always worked before). In their statement, they have tried to spin this situation to their advantage by saying they fixed it for free. Well, it had always worked before and this continues to add to their unprofessionalism. So, in addition to all of their previous failures, more was being added.
I was very upset and did have my girlfriend, at the time, deal with them because I just could not put up with their incompetence anymore. I did not trust them with ordering a new turbocharger or anything at this point because of their incompetence and overcharging of parts, which was explained in the first letter.
Colletti's claims the turbo took 10 months to arrive. Another false claim. The turbo did take unusually long to get. I was originally told it would be a month and it ended up taking 4-5 months (it is important to note that the turbo situation was well after the original promised finish date). I had been calling monthly to Turbonetics about the turbo and was always told it would arrive in less than a month and I always informed Colletti's of the situation. The fourth time I contacted Turbonetics about my turbo, I cc'ed Colletti's the email so they would know I was trying my best to get the turbo and apologized for Turbonetics constantly delaying the turbo arrival date. So not only was I dealing with Colletti's mismanagement, I also had Turbonetics doing the same thing. After receiving the turbo, it took approximately 5 months for Colletti's to complete the turbo installation.
And why they had to mention Kristen "dumping" me as if it has something to do with the car, furthermore gives credence to their unprofessional and unethical behavior. (But if they'd like to know, I broke up with her and have had the police contact her to stop contacting me.)
Colletti's claims I announced I wanted to have nothing to do with him again. I specifically told him (and I still have the email) that the car was not finished by him and I was going to have the car checked out by KDK Performance in Orlando. I told him as long as the car checks out, we can both go on our way. Unfortunately, KDK was extremely busy and could not get to checking out my car right away. But when they did finally get around to it, which was recently, it was determined that the head gasket was blown and that Colletti's used a head gasket known to fail often on these cars. Colletti's admits in their rebuttal, that there is some "chatter" on the internet about these gaskets failing. I am sure a competent mechanic would have done this research before, about the head gaskets, rather than after installing them. If there was a possibility of the Fel-Pro gasket failing, as he has just admitted, why take the chance and use them? I have had two Grand National specialists tell me about the Fel-Pro head gasket frequently failing. One is Kevin King, the other is Jack Cotton. I felt I was being extremely forgiving and reasonable by only asking for half the cost, which Colletti's is refusing. Colletti's failure has been documented by KDK in Orlando. Furthermore, can you see the difficulty in this situation by having to have another mechanic check over the original mechanic's work? I am sure KDK would be nervous about missing something that Colletti's has done wrong and would be worried about me thinking KDK messed something up rather than Colletti's. I can say I have gone to KDK many times in the past, while living in or near Florida, and I fully trust them.
I also question the purpose and motives of their comment on someone using my computer and wonder how that relates to the issue at hand.

11/27/2013 (me)

This is the author of the consumer complaint. I have recently found out there is even more damage to the engine. The camshaft and front camshaft bearing has gone bad in addition to the head gaskets. Now KDK Performance is now looking deeper into the motor to see if there is more damage caused by Colletti Motor Sports. At this point, Colletti Motor Sports refuses to answer any of my emails. They claim to be a professional company yet they will not answer for their mistakes.

11/27/2013 (me)

I forgot to add that I need to wait to see what additional damage has occurred to the engine before I give a new repair cost to the original claim. So far it is now $4000.00 instead of $1248.00.

11/29/2013 (me)

I have recently resent an old email to Colletti Motor Sports(it was dated while my car was still in their possession). In the email, I told them I was going to have their work checked out and Steve even acknowledges it in the email. I asked Steve for copies of what had been done to my car so I could give them to KDK Performance so KDK would know what Steve had done to the car. While sending that old email, I also added that Steve should call KDK Performance and verify the mileage on the car and also talk to the new mechanic so he understands the situation and that I am not trying to pull any scam on them. The situation is simple. I did not trust Colletti Motor Sport's work so I had it checked out. The damage that has occurred to my engine was because of Colletti's work.

12/03/2013 (me)

The email I sent to Colletti's:
Steve,

I just wanted to forward this email as a reminder of what was said in the past as well as for my own peace of mind. As this email indicates, I had said as long as my Buick checks out with the specialist, we could both go on our own ways. Obviously, the car is not alright. So far a head gasket has blown, the cam went bad, and so did the front cam bearing. There also may be more wrong with it. I am waiting to hear more from KDK Performance. And all this has happened with approximately only 1200 miles on the motor. Now if you would have put the mileage on it, as I had asked you to, it would have went bad in your care.

I have asked you to contact KDK Performance so you know that I am not trying to pull any kind of scam on you. They can verify the mileage and tell you what you did wrong. I know it is probably uncomfortable and awkward for both you and KDK Performance, but in the end, you provided faulty work. I would even ask that you pay them directly and not me, if that makes it easier for you.

I do not want to go to court. It is stressful and it is just a bad situation all around. I am asking you, once again, to please own up to your mistakes and be professional and pay for the repairs needed to fix the mistakes. Because I am severely hoping to avoid court, I am going to contact a local television station in Dayton to see if they can help. If they agree, they will assign an investigative reporter to verify everything both you and I have claimed has happened. I am more than confident I am in the "right." But if all else fails, court is the final option. Since there are now multiple mistakes and the cost is adding up quickly, it is now definitely worthwhile for me to take this to court, which I will once again state, I am hoping to avoid.

Regards,

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Olds olds.2@wright.edu
Subject: Re: Receipts for the Buick
Date: December 28, 2012 at 3:35:35 PM EST
To: Steve Colletti vinnyvtek0627@ameritech.net

This is the last time my car will be there. I personally think only charging me for parts you needed and no labor would be a good gesture on your part. But you will have to make that determination yourself, of course.

On Dec 28, 2012, at 3:23 PM, John Olds olds.2@wright.edu wrote:

No, I had not gotten angry about you not providing an invoice, it was what was on the invoice I had gotten angry about. LIke charging me for 8 fuel injectors for a 6 cylinder car. If I remember correctly without looking on my bill, you charged me for 8 fuel injectors at approximately $600 when you could have bought a set off Jack Cotton's website for $350. And I also checked out some of the prices on other parts that were way above the customary mark up of 10-20% (30-50%). I have them marked on my receipt still.

Also you had touted getting a mechanical temperature gauge as being superior. Then after I got a mechanical fuel gauge, instead of electrical, you said the electrical would have been better. I can tell you, as an electrical engineer, electrical gauges are far superior as they measure electron differences instead of relying on the expansion of mercury.

Also, at this point, the car is not totally finished by you. You had promised me the car would be dyno-ed and would put out around 500HP.

And another thing that really lost my confidence in you, is when you wanted to change the crankshaft and timing order. I feel I have had to pay for your time in figuring out what to do with my Buick, whereas a GN specialist would already have known. I hope that you consider all this in the price of what is left for me to pay. As long as the car checks out fine with the specialist, we can both go on our way. I kind of think at this point we both wish you would not have accepted the job. This may sound offensive to you but it is not my intention. I asked if you could do this job in 3 months or less and I also pointed out that these cars were tricky to work on and you still agreed to take this job. I do understand the turbo was a setback, but it still took 7 months for the car to originally be done.

Also when the car started smoking this last time, I had asked if you checked to see if there was oil in the down pipe. It was the last thing you checked, if I remember correctly.

I am sure you are a great mechanic. I have heard Bill and Cody talk about you quite often. But as I keep hearing people say, the Buick Grand National is a different kind of Beast.

And I am sorry it took so long for the new turbo to get there. Had I known that it was going to take 4-5 months to get it, I would have found an alternate choice. I contacted Turbonetics almost every month after first ordering it and they kept saying it was almost done.

I will let you know soon when I will be up. I am hoping the first week of January. I will let you know soon.

thanks, John

On Dec 28, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Steve Colletti vinnyvtek0627@ameritech.net wrote:

John
Let me know when you would be here so that I may do some more road tests and that I can have all the paper work you need ready for you.Remember you had gotten angry with me and said I didn't provide you with an invoice for work done and I want to make sure you have what you need.
P.S. Bill had brought to my attention when we first took your engine apart that the car needed a Turbo but I took the position of lets wait and see after the engine is done because there was so much damage to the inside of the motor the oil we saw on the turbo outlet could have been from the piston rings or the other internal damage
Thanks
Steve
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Olds" olds.2@wright.edu
To: "Steve Colletti" vinnyvtek0627@ameritech.net
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 10:55 AM
Subject: Receipts for the Buick

Hi Steve. I still have the receipts for all the work you have done but when I pick up the car some time in the next few weeks, I would like to get copies of the receipts for all the work that has been done to the Buick. That way the specialist in Orlando knows what has already been done to the car. That's probably why you asked me if I wanted copies a few weeks ago.

12/03/2013 (colletti motorsports)

Please find attached a copy of The Ohio State Attorney General's E-mail to us, regarding their closure of Mr. John Old's recent case against us. Mr. Old's complaints in this case were similar to the complaints forwarded by him to your office.

Considering that the Attorney General's office has now reviewed & decided to close their case, we would hope that the Better Business Bureau would reach a similar decision.

Latest update

AUTHOR: John - ()

Dear Colletti customers and potential Colletti customers. It has been over 3 years now since I have been able to drive my car and Steve Colletti is to blame. I have to post multiple reviews under the same name (for Google reviews) because apparently Colletti’s keeps flagging them because they do not want you to know the truth about the company.  Imagine that your car is your child and you have went through what I have with this horrible company.  Wouldn’t you be upset?  Wouldn’t you want your money back for damages?  I will never be able to reclaim the time Colletti’s has made me lose out on but at least they could own up to their mistakes and pay for the damages done to my vehicle.

I contacted a local TV station in Tampa about my problems with Colletti Motor Sports (CMS).  While they were interested in the story, they were not able to help me because CMS is in Ohio.  But I would have loved to see CMS squirm in front of the camera once they realized everything I have said was proven to be the truth by the TV station.  (I have proof of everything I have claimed.  I also have proof that CMS has lied in some of their responses.)

Here is an email I recently wrote to CMS:

“A local TV station contacted me today about your business.  While they said they could not interview you because you were in Ohio, they gave me more options that I did not know about to file complaints against you.  Also, I contacted the BBB again about you.

Think I might be telling the truth yet about you messing up my car?  I bet you know you did and just do not want to admit it and pay for the damages.

You can always do the right thing and pay for the damages you have caused my vehicle.  I can never get back the time I have lost out on though.”

I also contacted the BBB again:

“Dear Dayton BBB,

I recently filed a complaint against Colletti Motor Sports. While I understand that the complaint could not be resolved, I am shocked and bewildered that the BBB would say that Colletti Motor Sports acted in good faith to resolve the situation. That statement could not be further from the truth. I had written several professional emails to Colletti Motor Sports informing them that their work had gone bad. I received one response and one response only, " I do not warranty race engines. "  Therefore, in light of this fact, I request that the case be reopened and reevaluated.

Sincerely,

John Olds.

Mr. Olds,

Thank you for your recent correspondence related to the above referenced complaint. Please understand the Better Business Bureau’s self-regulatory role is to open the lines of communication between the two parties to assist them in resolving their dispute amicably. Many times the parties do resolve their issues. However, there are cases such as yours where the two parties come to an impasse and the BBB cannot force any adjustment. If a dispute gets to the point where it is at an impasse, it may be time to take it to the next level, which in your case may be to consult legal resources.

Although, we realize that you may still feel the matter is not resolved, we have closed the case administratively. We reviewed the complaint again, per your request, and cannot reopen the complaint. The complaint will be reflected in the company’s report for up to 36 months, which is the BBB’s standard reporting period.

Please understand the BBB does not make a ruling on whether or not the company was right or wrong. This is a dispute resolution service in which the intent is to assist the two parties to come to an agreement amicably. Unfortunately, the two parties were not able to reach a resolution through communication and it may be time for you to take it to the next level such as the legal system, which can make a judgment for you and possibly enforce it.

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau. If we can be of service to you in the future, please feel free to contact us.

Ms Warner,

I understand completely what you are telling me.  What I do not agree with, is that the BBB claims that Colletti Motor Sports acted in good faith to resolve the issue.  I am certainly not a lawyer but I did take a few law classes while obtaining my college degree. Good faith means the company did put forth reasonable effort to try and resolve the dispute.  As I stated in the email I originally sent the BBB, I had written several letters to Colletti Motor Sports, which I have saved for proof and can forward if necessary, and Colletti Motor Sports responded with only “I do not warranty race engines.”  Certainly, from my understanding, this one and only response to my emails, to Colletti Motor Sports, does not qualify as “good faith.”  I had asked Colletti Motor Sports to contact the current mechanic, working on my vehicle, to understand the situation.  The new mechanic has a larger business and is an ASE certified Master Mechanic and has much more to lose than Colletti Motor Sports.  Therefore, I would assume if Mr. Colletti would have contacted the new mechanic, the new mechanic would have told him nothing but the truth about my car and the work he is doing to repair the damage done by Colletti Motor Sports.  Since Colletti Motor Sports did not bother to contact the new mechanic, I feel once again, that Colletti Motor Sports did not act in good faith. I am respectfully asking the BBB to please reevaluate the rating it gave Colletti Motor Sports based on these facts.

John Olds.

Dear Mr. Olds,

I asked our Dispute Resolution Coordinator to review the complaint again.

BBB uses standard reporting language in the company's Business Review to report complaint closures.  The description of your complaint closure is shown below.  The business did respond to the complaint addressing the issue.  This also indicates you are not satisfied with the company.

Complaint Resolution: BBB determined that despite the company's reasonable effort to address complaint issues, the consumer remained dissatisfied.

I realize that you are unsatisfied but the complaint will remain closed. You may wish to consider seeking legal counsel.  The complaint will be on the company's record for three years. Thank you.”

email exchange between myself and Colletti Motor Sports

AUTHOR: John - ()

Thinking about going here?  Already a Colletti customer?  Read this.  If this does not prove how unprofessional Colletti's is, then I do not know what to tell you. ........................................................................................................................................

The following are directly from emails between myself and Colletti's: ........................................................................................................................................

Me (Dec 6, 2012): I am getting anxious.  But I also want it to run correctly at all RPM's. I know I said in an earlier email that you didn't need to take it up any higher on the dyno.  But 285HP seems low now that I have had time to think about it. {Colletti's sent me a Dyno chart showing 285HP was the maximum they achieved. In Colletti's BBB response, they claimed they reached 360HP.  It was 285HP and was supposed to be 500+HP per our verbal agreement and Colletti's assurances. Colletti's lied in their BBB response. This was just one lie.} ........................................................................................................................................

Colletti's (Dec 6, 2012):   I will put miles on the car today I feel it runs great ! it has so much Torque it's very easy to get the rear to step out and that is why I didn't want to drive it in the rain I am sure it will make better H.P. numbers with a tuner who can really dial in a Grand National but all the A/F numbers look safe to drive I would not push it to hard till you get to your GN specialist. {Colletti's admits here they are not able to tune and finish the car.  My car was obviously above his expertise.} ........................................................................................................................................

Me (Dec 28, 2012): I still have the receipts for all the work you have done but when I pick up the car some time in the next few weeks, I would like to get copies of the receipts for all the work that has been done to the Buick.   That way the specialist in Orlando knows what has already been done to the car.  That's probably why you asked me if I wanted copies a few weeks ago. {Colletti's knew the car was going to be checked over by another mechanic. I did not trust Colletti's work, plus they just would not finish the car. I kept telling them to do whatever was necessary to complete the car, yet they never did.  I personally think they were hoping I would get frustrated with them and I would just come and pick up the car so I would not have to deal with them anymore and that is what happened.  They never finished it and I had someone else look the car over.} ........................................................................................................................................

Myself (Dec 28, 2012): Also, at this point, the car is not totally finished by you.  You had promised me the car would be dyno-ed and would put out around 500HP. And another thing that really lost my confidence in you, is when you wanted to change the crankshaft and timing order.  I feel I have had to pay for your time in figuring out what to do with my Buick, whereas a GN specialist would already have known.  I hope that you consider all this in the price of what is left for me to pay.  As long as the car checks out fine with the specialist, we can both go on our way.  I kind of think at this point we both wish you would not have accepted the job.  This may sound offensive to you but it is not my intention.  I asked if you could do this job in 3 months or less and I also pointed out that these cars were tricky to work on and you still agreed to take this job. {Once again, Colletti's knew the car was going to be checked over by another mechanic. The car essentially went straight from his shop to the new mechanic in Orlando and the car did not check out fine at all. I even had my grandmother traveling with me because she wanted to visit me in Florida.  I am just glad we did not totally break down on I-75, even though a turbo hose did blow off and I had to "limp" it to Walmart to get hose clamps because apparently Colletti's does not even know how to attach a turbo hose correctly.} ........................................................................................................................................

AUTHOR: John - ()

I just wanted to add this photo.

Engine now full taken apart thanks to Colletti's

AUTHOR: John - ()

My new mechanic now has the engine fully apart to see if there is more damage from Colletti Motor Sports.  Thanks Colletti's!!  For building me a engine that "blew" up!!!!  You told me to put miles on it.  Well I did.  I went from your shop in Ohio to the new mechanic in Florida.  I am just glad the car made it there without breaking down on I-75.  I was even accompanied by my grandmother because she wanted to come back with me to visit.  Colletti Motor Sports certainly seems without integrity.

Additional Damage Recently Discovered

AUTHOR: John - ()

I wrote the main body of the report on the date indicated.  Recently, KDK Performance has now found that the camshaft and front cam bearing has also gone bad.  All this and only 1200 miles on the engine rebuild by Colletti Motor Sports.  KDK is now going to look much deeper into the engine and I can only hope there is no more damage.  Colletti Motorsports refuses to answer any of my emails.