Complaint Review: coloroda technical university online

• Submitted: Wed, August 31, 2011
  • Updated: Thu, September 01, 2011

• Reported By: vc — brooklyn New York United States of America
coloroda technical university online

coloroda technical university online ctu online Complete rip off and in a hole because of their BS! Internet

*Consumer Comment: comment

In 2005 I decided I wanted to do online schooling as a chance to get a better job. I found CTU online and they offered a criminal justice degree with "at my own pace" as a key factor. I worked full time and have children so this seemed like a great idea. After speaking with an advisor they told me I could log in to the classrooms whenever I was able to and they told me financial aid would cover most of the schooling but that i needed a loan for the remainder of the balance. I did all of this not realizing how truly expensive this school was in comparison to others.

i had never attended college prior so i thought these prices were average. I quickly came to see that everything they told me was a lie. I would log on to the classroom and see that there were assignments with actual due dates that I was missing therefore leading me to "F" grades in which I was required to pay to take the class again. I tried to do the work but my schedule was not allowing me to complete 4 assignments a week. I was frustrated. After trying for almost 8 months I decided to quit. I loggedin online and there was a block so i called them. They stated there was something from FAFSA they were waiting for to renew. I told them I was no longer interested in school and would not be returning. That was the end of that- or so I thought!

One month ago I decided to go to my local community college to pursue a degree. CUNY needs all transcripts so i called CTU to obtain and was told that I owe 5k from my attendance and that i can not have my transcript. They stated that since FAFSA was not completed they billed me. I attended school from january 2005 to November 2005 and the bill was created December 2005 as i was shown through e-mail from CTU. I called FAFSA to discuss and was told this is not appropriate as CTU was aware i was a financial aid student, the woman could not understand why this would happen.

I kept calling CTU and of course the people were getting rude with me stating that they have the right to do this and that its in the paperwork i signed when I enrolled. I do not have this paperwork nor do i recall signing anything and to make matters worse i asked CTU for the copies of it and they said they don't have it either!! How do I fix this? No tonly did I take out a loan that is in forebearance but now this balance? That means I spent 15k for 8 months of 'school' with nothing to show for it and I can't go to any school now???

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/31/2011 09:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/coloroda-technical-university-online/internet/coloroda-technical-university-online-ctu-online-Complete-rip-off-and-in-a-hole-because-of-771399. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on coloroda technical university online

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

I think I know what happened here, but correct me if I'm wrong.  You filled out the FAFSA for the 2004-2005 academic year, which would have given CTU the information they needed to process financial aid through the summer semester of 2005.  However, after you do your taxes in the spring you need to renew the FAFSA (using the tax information) for the 2005-2006 school year. That would have covered financial aid through November.  I suspect that the renewed FAFSA was what the school was waiting on.  Since you didn't file it, you weren't awarded any financial aid. Hence, the 5K bill.

Unfortunately, you have little recourse but to pay it off.  As long as you owe them money they won't release your transcript to another school.  And if you're thinking of just conveniently leaving off your attendance there from your next college application, don't.  Federal aid information is available to all schools and the new school will know that you received federal aid at CTU and will require the transcript.