Complaint Review: Columbia House

• Updated: Mon, December 02, 2013

• Reported By: Jennifer — Virginia Beach Virginia
Columbia House
1400 North Fruitridge Avenue Terre Haute, Indiana USA

Columbia House ATG Credit Columbia House and ATG Credit Fraud on My Credit Report - not mine!! Terre Haute Indiana

I have been working on a refinance and have been keeping a close eye on my credit. The refinance went through a couple of months ago just fine. I go to check my credit report and I see this new collections on there for ATG Credit for Columbia House for $22. $22!!!

This is not mine. I have never done business with them, nor would I. I called the number for the collection agency and the guy on the other end said to just dispute it. I asked what the next step would be if it comes back validated, because you see this is not my debt, and he advised me to pay it because it looks better if it's paid. I have a huge problem with this because if I pay it, which if I had to to make this go away I would since it's such a small amount, I am admitting that it's my debt and therefore will stay on my credit for 7 yrs as paid, but it will still negatively affect me.

I asked what it was for and he said a CD that was mailed to an address that I lived at from 2008 -2010, but the CD was mailed to that address is 2007, is what he said. This is bogus. Why are they allowed to just screw your credit up like this?

When I tried to contact Columbia House directly I just got a form e-mail response saying that I no longer have an account with them and I have to take it up with the collection agency. Shouldn't they ahve to prove that it was me in order to send it to my credit report, how can they do that if they can't even prove to me that it was my account?

If anyone knows of a law suit going on, please let me know. I see a lot of people have had this exact thing happen to them. I plan on fighting it. These people are liars.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/02/2013 01:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Columbia-House/Terre-Haute-Indiana-47811/Columbia-House-ATG-Credit-Columbia-House-and-ATG-Credit-Fraud-on-My-Credit-Report-not-m-1103682. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Columbia House