Complaint Review: Consumer First Consultants

• Submitted: Thu, September 08, 2005
  • Updated: Tue, March 11, 2008

• Reported By:Hollywood California
Consumer First Consultants
4010 WatsonPlaza Dr., Ste135. Lakewood, California U.S.A.

Consumer First Consultants, INC. Rip-off "so called" Consumer Credit Counselors Lakewood California

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: CEO

I was seeking a Consumer Credit Counselor to help me resolve a couple of credit card collections situations, including a frivolous lawsuit from Citibank.

I recieved a courtesy letter (which is really a convenentially disguised ad) from Consumer First Consultants, Inc. informing me that they could assist in settling my Citibank suit out of court. I made an appointment.

Upon arriving, it looks more like a boiler room operation with one girl researching civil cases and a small Asian guy running off hundreds of courtesy letters to people.

I waited and was escorted to a back office by a high-strung chick, who sat me down, and without asking me any questions or inquiring into my financial situation she writes $200 on a manila file folder and bellows, "For we star I need to know if you can pay that!"

I said, no, I was currently unemployed. There was no way I could pay $200 a month to settle a $4,000 credit card debt. Nor would I, if I had $200 to pay on a single credit card I wouldn't be here.

I said the best I could probably do was $100 a month, including consolidating my other debt into a DMP. She shook her head furiously, proclaiming, I no can do. Circling and re-circling the figure $200.

She also added rather vehemently that she would require another $750 to respond to the lawsuit and take it out of court as her Fee. Keep in mind this is someone who is a credit counselor and perhaps a paralegal at best. Not even a lawyer.

She then added, "If you no pay, they take you to court and when you get job, they garnish wages!" I simply shrugged and said, I guess so. "YEAH!" She reiterated. "They garnish your wages then!"

Whatever Consumer First Consultants, Inc. but it certainly NOT credit counseling as advertised. They are a for profit consultanting for that has no interest in negotiating on behalf of the consumer.

I would stay away.

Larry
Hollywood, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/08/2005 04:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-First-Consultants/Lakewood-California-90712/Consumer-First-Consultants-INC-Rip-off-so-called-Consumer-Credit-Counselors-Lakewood-C-156422. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer First Consultants

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

CEO

AUTHOR: Consumer First Consultants - (U.S.A.)

Dear Sir/Madam:
I would like to respond to complaint numbers: 156422 & 268287
I have been in business for twenty years and have a good record with my clients. In the twenty years I have been in business there have been only four complaints, two of the
complaining parties, I gave a full refund, the other two people had never been in my office and they did not call for information, they decided that my buisness was like the rest and complainted.

I would like the opportunity to write you a letter outlining my business,to send you copies of the forms I use for your review. I have new and old letters of recommodation from many clients and I would like to submit them to you as well. Please e-mail me an address where I can send you my package by US Mail. I will also mail the educational materials I use for my client's credit educational requirements by the state of California.

Thank You for allowing me to present my buisness as an important part of the community. Consumer First Consultants is located in the city of Lakewood, Ca. there are no other locations for this company. We are not associated with any other Credit Counseling Companies.

Sincerely,
Jim (James) Merchian
Memeber of: American Bankruptcy Association, US Chamber of Commerce, Lakewood Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Certified Credit Counselors, National Notary Association.