Complaint Review: Consumer Reports

• Updated: Mon, December 30, 2013

• Reported By: Chris — Chicago Illinois
Consumer Reports
101 Truman Avenue Yonkers, New York USA

Consumer Reports Shop Smart magazine "free Issue" offer means paid subscription no refund Yonkers New York

I answered a "free' issue" offer for Shop Smart magazine, from Consumer Reports. The original offer plainly stated that If I were not satisfied with the magazine, I would not be charged for the sub. ( You cn find teh ad by googling the magazine title)

First, I was billed for the full subscription a month before I had received ANY magazines. I  received one single issue of Shop Smart. The issue I DID finally receive was filled with misinformation and pro- big-pharma propaganda. I never received any other issue.

I expected that I would get a bill for the subscription. Instead, I was on an automatic renewal for CONSUMER REPORTS, A DIFFERENT MAGAZINE, I was billed without my consent.

When I finally reached the telephone customer service line, I was informed that I would be billed for the JANUARY and MARCH issues, "since they have been sent out already." So they could only refund half of the price.

For a company which bills itself as a consumer advocacy organiation to use these deceptive practices is outreageous indeed.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2013 08:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Reports/Yonkers-New-York-10703-1057/Consumer-Reports-Shop-Smart-magazine-free-Issue-offer-means-paid-subscription-no-refund-1111793. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Reports