Complaint Review: Consumer Research Company

• Submitted: Sat, March 29, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, March 29, 2008

• Reported By:Gresham Oregon
Consumer Research Company
230 Davenport Road Barrie, Ontario M2K 4A3 Port Jefferson, New York U.S.A.

Consumer Research Company Rip off scam Jefferson New York

On March 3, 2008 I received in the mail a letter from Consumer Research Company a member of American Survey Research ORG. The letter stated that because I filled out a survey online with another company called Consumer survey Specialitst indication that I was interested in additional income part-time I qualified to be a mystery shopper with Consumer Research Company.

The official title was Consumer Service Evaluator. Evalutaions would take place in specific stores in my area Gap, Walmart, Macy's, K-mart, Jc Penny and Target, but no specific addresses were given for these stores.

It said I would have one week to complete my assignments as follows:
Spend a hundred dollars in three different stores from the list. Then I would need to send a money gram to someone in the amount of $3,079.50 and pay the $350.00 service fee charged by money gram. Then I would need to fax all receipts to the fax number provided and call David Rogers to confirm assignment completion.

There was a check for the amount of 3,699.50 the letter explained that I needed to cash this check and then spelled out exactly where to allocate the funds:
$130.00 for 2 hours of work shopping at the stores and sending the money gram. $3,079.50 Required funds to be sent. $150.00 Service charge by Money Gram. $300.00 funds for shopping. $40.00 for misc. expenses.

The check looks a 100% real and says its from Market Strategies and comes from an account with Wells Fargo Bank it is signed by Mary Beth Marins.
The only reason I didn't cash the check was I could not reach anyone to confirm that this was legal and I was worried about sending a Money Gram and finding out I was involved with money laundering.

Gresham, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/29/2008 09:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Consumer-Research-Company/Port-Jefferson-New-York-11777/Consumer-Research-Company-Rip-off-scam-Jefferson-New-York-322160. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Consumer Research Company