Complaint Review: cox communication

• Updated: Tue, July 17, 2012

• Reported By: Rich Pixel — Providence Rhode Island United States of America
cox communication
9 J.P. Murphy Highway , West Warwick, Rhode Island United States of America

cox communication cox cable Charged twice for a modem; SaveologyTech scam? , West Warwick, Rhode Island

I signed up with Cox about a month ago for internet service. At the time of sign-up, they asked if I would like to get a cable modem FREE, with rebate. The other options didn't seem clear, so I said yes. Here are the events that followed:

1. I gave my CC number to the phone rep in order to purchase the modem. I found out later the modem supplier is SaveologyTech in Florida.

2. A few days later my CC number was being used in a Florida Walmart. I don't live in Flordia and have not visited recently, so my fraud alert went off and I canceled the card. Coincidence? Citbank was able to get back the money for the fradulent charges :)

3. I received the modem, it appears to be new and works fine.

4. I sent in my rebate form to SaveologyTech, but have not yet heard back. They said it takes awhile to process. I forgot to get a return receipt on the mail I sent to them (another mistake). I honestly don't expect to see any rebate, but we'll see.

5. Today I notice on my Cox bill they are charging me $80 for a modem. I called them and they took the charge off after I explained the situation. The rep said the deal with the 3rd party company to sell the modems was strange considering they sold modems themselves. She mentioned she had worked with Cox for 7 years and had not heard of this 'deal'.

In summary - when signing up for Cox service be very wary of any 'free' modem deals from 3rd party suppliers, or just avoid them altogether. Someone is running a scam here, and I don't know if it's a company-wide scam at Cox or a few employees on the inside doing this. Be careful!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2012 06:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/cox-communication/-West-Warwick-Rhode-Island-02893-2381/cox-communication-cox-cable-Charged-twice-for-a-modem-SaveologyTech-scam-West-Warwick-913166. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on cox communication