Complaint Review: CPS Security; Check Plus Systems; CPS

• Submitted: Fri, December 28, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, December 28, 2007

• Reported By:10 Withheld City Pennsylvania
CPS Security; Check Plus Systems; CPS
9901 IH 10 West Suite 665 San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.

CPS Security; Check Plus Systems CPS Debt Collection Agency for Specialty Merchandise Corp (SMC) San Antonio Texas

Check Plus Systems, also known as CPS Security, is a debt collection agency used by Specialty Merchandise Corp (SMC).

BEWARE OF BOTH CPS AND SMC COMPANIES!!! After cancelling a 30 day trial period with SMC and not promptly receiving my refund I filed a dispute through my credit card company. The dispute was resolved and the credit card company processed my refund. I heard nothing and forgot about the situation until about 4 months later when I received a collection notice from CPS Security. I promptly contacted CPS to find out what it was for. The debt collector told me I owed SMC money. As I tried to explain to the debt collector that there was a refund issued me via my credit card and we need to review the details to refute the charge he cut me off in mid sentence, told me I would have to pay the money or they would file a lawsuit against me and damage my credit. He then hung up on me.

To find out what I can do about this I did some research. It appears from the following websites the debt collector my have broken the law with his threats. Also, the letter the collection agency sends should have wording in it explaining that you can refute the charges by mailing a letter (send it return receipt for documentation; examples of such letters can be found at the website provided below - USE IT SINCE IT CONTAINS LEGAL IMPLICATIONS FOR THE DEBT COLLECTOR AND WILL PROVIDE YOU SOME RECOURSE TO RECOVER DAMAGES ) to the debt collector within 30 days. There is no such wording in the CPS letters.

If this happens to you file complaints with the FTC. They need to hear from you since they will only take action once they have a significant number of complaints.

Web Site: http://www.ftc.gov/

Also, file complaints with the Better Business Bureau and your State Attorney General.

Web Sites for each:

Web Site providing you with form letter to send to the collection agency. Use this since it contains legal implications rather than just sending your own.

Web Site providing you with form letter to send to the collection agency in follow-up to initial letter. Use this since it contains legal implications rather than just sending your own.

Debt Collector Info Web Sites - Info to Fight Back

Because CPS seems so underhanded, in order to make sure letters get through it may make sense to mail them return receipt in addition to faxing to (210-641-1894) and emailing to sales@check-plus.com You can never know when they claim they lost something or pull a switch.

Concerned about Retaliation
10 Withheld City, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/28/2007 11:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/CPS-Security-Check-Plus-Systems-CPS/San-Antonio-Texas-78230/CPS-Security-Check-Plus-Systems-CPS-Debt-Collection-Agency-for-Specialty-Merchandise-Corp-295366. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on CPS Security; Check Plus Systems; CPS