Complaint Review: Craftmatic

• Updated: Fri, May 10, 2013

• Reported By: Linda — Ogden Utah
Craftmatic
Popano Beach, Florida USA

Craftmatic My then 83 year old dad fell. He broke his shoulder, collar bone, wrist, femur head and hip. At 6'3 1/2", 260lbs, suffering from COPD and heart issues....that is a big deal. For a year and a half, my dad has slept in a lift chair. The head physical therapist told us my dad really needed to be in a bed and she said he would be able to sleep in a Craftmatic Bed. Linda Kane Popano Beach Florida

My then 83 year old dad fell.  He broke his shoulder, collar bone, wrist, femur head and hip.  At 6'3 1/2", 260lbs, suffering from COPD and heart issues....that is a big deal.  For a year and a half, my dad has slept in a lift chair.  The head physical therapist told us my dad really needed to be in a bed and she said he would be able to sleep in a Craftmatic Bed.  She assured us, she could get him in and out of it and sleeping in it.

I immediately called Craftmatic.  I told our sales rep the situation.  My dad had to sleep sitting up.  He had heavy hardware in his arm, from his shoulder to his wrist.  He had breathing issues which meant he had to sleep sitting up.  We were assured.....everyone LOVES their Craftmatic bed.  To his recollection, not one bed was ever returned.  He assured us the bed would be delivered before we left town, so we could help my dad adjust to it.  We felt tremendous pressures to decide, as the bed was on inventory reduction, and there was only one left,  and we had to make a decision within a day.  PLEASE, never make a decision that fast.  I so wanted my dad to be able to sleep in a bed, we went ahead with it.

What a mistake!  The bed was not able to be delivered in the time frame promised.  They did offer me a chance to cancel, but we wanted my dad to sleep in a bed.  How I wish I had cancelled.  The bed was delivered and my parents tried it.  For four nights, each night got progressively worse for my dad.  Each night became more painful. The hardware in his arm, with the gravity pull, was excruciatingly painful.  No matter how they tried to raise the arm, cushion the arm and make my dad comfortable.....it was imossible for him to be comfortable in the Craftmatic bed.  In reality, each night became more painful.

I called the salesman, Peter.  He was very short.  He informed me the bed could not even be scheduled for a pickup/return for 31 days.  I explained the situation.  He said the contract I signed, on behalf of my parents, stated we would try the bed for 31 days.  Yes, I signed the contract.  Under the pressure of ordering and leaving my parents, I did mis-read the contract.  I thought it read we had up to 31 days to return.  That was what was continually said to me on phone conversations.  We had up to 31 days.

Somehow I missed it was we HAD to keep the bed for 31 days.  Peter told me the 31 day period was to make people really give the bed a try.  My dad was done.  He was in agony in the bed.  The sheets were off.  There was no way he was going to try the bed again.  It was not a "getting used to it"....it was he was in agony pain and could not.  The bed did not work for him.  Peter said I had to wait a week and could maybe supersede the 31 day wait.  All the while, my mother was sleeping on a couch, because she refused to sleep on the bed (we got the King dual bed for both of them), knowing it was going back.

Endless phone calls went unanswered and postponed.    When I did talk with someone from Craftmatic, they made the offer to let my parents buy the bed for $2400 less.  Keep the bed and they would refund the money.  I think that is how they can say, "To my knowledge, no one has ever returned a Craftmatic bed.  My parents did not want the bed.  Even for $2000.00.

I called and called. When I was able to actually talk with someone,  I felt like they were appeasing me, saying what I wanted to hear, all the while going the way they wanted to handle it (slow and 31 day wait).  I called and pleaded.  My mom is the only caregiver for my dad.  He is in a wheelchair and needs total chair.  This situation was stressing my mom beyond measure.  She wanted the bed gone and her bed back.  I was fearful this was going to cause my mom a stroke.  All my pleas to Craftmatic went unheard or pacified.

Finally, after three week, we were told boxes for the delivery would be sent.  Once we got the boxes, we could schedule a pickup.  Then I got an email, the boxes could take 5-10 to be delivered. Are you serious?  We are talking about an 84 year old couple, who are home bound, who were dramatically affected by having that bed still in their home.  The shipping manager from Craftmatic, Danai, said she would order the pickup as though the boxes were already there.  Well.....if she did, it was interesting the delivery pickup company did not talk with us until the boxes had actually been delivered.

Then, the pickup company, Manna Distributor, said it would take a week before they could pick it up.  They scheduled a day to pick up and called to say they made a mistake.  It could not be that day. They computer was wrong.  No one would be in their area.  They scheduled another day.  Then they made a mistake, and did not pick it up on the day it was supposed to be picked up.  The nightmare continued.  I called Craftmatic, and left an extremely upset message.  My parents waited for the four hour period of time the truck was supposed to come.  Their life was on hold.  No one came.  When I called the pick up company, I was told the drivers made a mistake.  They missed the order to pick up.  It would be another week.  Craftmatic NEVER returned the message I left.  I just believe they really do not care.

My opinion and experience....Craftmatic truly does not care about the consumer.  They care about their name, their reputation.  They care about NO ONE ever returning a bed.  They answer calls when they want to and not because they are serving the customer.  Peter got defensive when I suggested we were not listened to and guided correctly.

I am still waiting for the bed to be picked up.  A month of calling, pleading and trying to find someone who cares.  What a horrible experience.  Don't let it happen to you.  If you are buying the bed for a medically challenged person....THINK TWICE.  My experience with Craftmatic was awful!  I would never trust this company or believe them to be honest.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/10/2013 10:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Craftmatic/Popano-Beach-Florida-33069/Craftmatic-My-then-83-year-old-dad-fell-He-broke-his-shoulder-collar-bone-wrist-femur-1050058. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Craftmatic