Complaint Review: Craigslist-Rhode Island

• Submitted: Thu, August 30, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, August 31, 2012

• Reported By: Political Jahadist — Coventry Rhode Island United States of America
Craigslist-Rhode Island
Internet, Rhode Island United States of America

Craigslist-Rhode Island Flagging and 'Holding' of Accounts Internet, Rhode Island

*Consumer Comment: Political activist?

Craigslist has taken it upon themselves to CENSOR postings and place accounts on 'HOLD' thereby shutting off posting to the site.

I fell that this is a violation of my Freedom of Speech as I am a Political Activist and like to post my opinions on various Issues and Politicians.  Truth is Knowledge and I feel people have a right to know what their Legislators are doing.  I think they call that 'Transparency'.

They have shut down three of my accounts for unknown violations and I can't seem to get an answer or rational reason for this action.  You are only supposed to have one account but as they shut down one, I have been forced to open another that is quickly shut down.

I have sent many e-mails to their legal department and their customer service, all of which go unanswered.   I understand that accounts are put on temporary hold then released after 48 hours.  This does not appear to be true.

They do not have a contact phone number so they are literaly unreachable.  Although their CEO, Jim Buckmaster, claims to be a First Amendment Advocate, he obviously doesn't care about his company,  customer service or resolving issues.

I had a tenant, Kelly Labossier,  that caused over $6,500 in damages to an apartment that I owned and had to have her evicted.  I strongly suspect she may be the one causing my accounts to be shut down but I cannot verify that issue as Craigslist is unresponsive.  I am caught between a rock and Craiglist.

How can I amicably prevent them from Trampling on my First Amendment Rights without filing an expensive lawsuit.  They have a disclaimer on their site that absolves them from any lawsuits so I can't understand what the problem is.

Bill P.
(((REDACTED)))

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/30/2012 01:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Craigslist-Rhode-Island/Internet-Rhode-Island-/Craigslist-Rhode-Island-Flagging-and-Holding-of-Accounts-Internet-Rhode-Island-934887. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Craigslist-Rhode Island

Political activist?

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

I fell that this is a violation of my Freedom of Speech as I am a Political Activist and like to post my opinions on various Issues and Politicians. "

I guess people can call themselves anything they want to, but how can you be a politcal activst and yet be so ignorant about your basic rights?   Your post seems absurd when read by anyone with a junior high education about constitutional rights.    Who would trust (or care about) the political opinon of someone lacking even a marginal understanding of constitutional rights.

I'll lay it out for you.   This "Freedom of Speech" you tout does not afford you any right to post on Craigslist.  Craigslist is a private company and has complete discretion on what they allow posted on THEIR site.   As a matter of fact, it is THEIR first amendment right that allows this.   Understand how that works?   If you wish to exercise your right to spew your (undoubtedly mindless) political opinions, you are free to do so ON YOUR OWN WEBSITE that you pay for.    No matter how mindless or idiotic, no one can stop you from doing that.   THAT is your rigtht to "Freedom of Speech".

" .  Although their CEO, Jim Buckmaster, claims to be a First Amendment Advocate, he obviously doesn't care about his company "

Mr. Buckmaster is a First Amendment advocate.   Unlike you, he has probably read the First Amendment and knows exactly what it means.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but this time of year I get a bit weary of ignorant political blowhards spewing their crap all over the Internet and expecting everyone else to be forced to listen to their ill informed opinions.

See what just happened there?  I just posted my opinion.  If you have read this post carefully you'll realize that while I expect it to be posted, I have no right that it be posted.

" . How can I amicably prevent them from Trampling on my First Amendment Rights without filing an expensive lawsuit. ?"

By the way, this bit was priceless.   Yes, go ahead and spend all of your money filing that suit.  With any luck, you'll end up broke and won't be able to afford a computer to annoy the rest of the world with your "Truth is Knowledge" nonsense.  You obviously don't have knowledge, so where does your "truth" come from.