scared

• Updated: Wed, April 23, 2014

• Reported By: gydiup — unknown Missouri
Creative Renovations & Building, Inc
1001 Craig Rd Ste.260 St. Louis, Missouri USA

Creative Renovations & Building, Inc CRB Under no circumstances use this company for anything!!!! The owner is a liar!!! St. Louis Missouri

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Author of report solicited insurance fraud

I made a huge mistake letting this company work on my house.  They first sent 2 very nice guys knocking door to door in my neighborhood, that I never saw or spoke to again, to look at my roof and siding damage. Later, Matt D. came out and gave me an estimate replacing my roof, gutters and siding.  A week or so later they came out and we talked about how long it would take to get everything completed and I signed the contract. ****Well that's were everything fell apart.*****  Again we talked about CRB fixing EVERYTHING we talked about and they only had the roof on the contract and nothing else.  I ASSUMED, and this is my fault as well, that everything was in the contract to be replaced, but it wasn't.  They only had the roof on the contract and nothing else.  This being the first time I went thru this process I trusted them and they screwed me...

The roof was replaced in a few weeks and so far so good no issues.  A few more weeks went by and I started asking about when we can get the siding and gutters done.  They tried to get the insurance company to cover the entire house, only 1 side was hit with hail, but AAA wouldn't cover it. So several months went by and I asked that just the one side be fixed and they kept saying they couldn't find the siding that matched.  AAA gave them a company in STL that had our siding but still nothing.  I had not heard from them for over a month, so I then decided to file a complaint with the BBB and the Attorney General.

LORD HAVE MERCY as soon as I did this they contacted me and fixed my siding within a week. CRB's Manager Dale explained to me that the owner "lost" my info and he didn't blame me for being upset.  The owner Paul Schaffrin calls me and tells me if I withdraw my complaints he'll reimburse me the $1000 deductable.  Well I call the BBB and Attorney General and withdraw my complaint, but they ask me if I was pressured into withdrawing my complaint, and I said no because I'm looking at getting $1000 back, but I should have just stuck to my guns and told CBR to deasl with it.  Well after all that guess what the owner Paul doesn't do anything.  I call and email several times and he gives me a lame excuse as to way he can't redeem the $1000.  He recieved an email comfirmation that I canceled the complaint from the BBB and I sent the letter the Attorney General sent me but that wasn't good enough.

This company came knocking on my door and I went against my gut feeling and the advise of others to only go with a well known local company to complete the work I needed done. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with these guys.  My wife and I jumped thru so many hoops and went thru alot more than we should have just to have a few repairs done to our home.  Again this so called owner never appologized to us or made any attempt to make things right, but only made excuses as to way he couldn't follow thru with what he promised.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2013 07:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Creative-Renovations-Building-Inc/St-Louis-Missouri-63146/Creative-Renovations-Building-Inc-CRB-Under-no-circumstances-use-this-company-for-anyt-1079651. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Creative Renovations & Building, Inc

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Author of report solicited insurance fraud

AUTHOR: Creative Renovations & Bldg. - ()

NOTE TO POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS:  This is a long rebuttal but please read entirely as we are grossly injured and ultimately unjust to the consumer as we have the reputation thus far of being one of the most honest and reputable Remodeling companies in St. Louis, since 1991, and to be steered away from us by falsehoods, would be the only RIP OFF as otherwise you would be added to the rosters of hundreds of satisfied customers of Creative Renovations & Building. Check our reputation with BBB (314)645-3300 and when asked for the company phone # enter (636)940-1974.  Our reputatioin was an untarnished A+ rating until this and 2 other unjustified complaints that the BBB resolved IN OUR FAVOR caused our rating to be demoted to "A" which is still wonderful for our industry.  If you give us the chance we can provide a multitude of references.  REBUTTAL STARTS HERE: The author of this report, who chooses not to indicate his name is Jeff Taylor.  He is the LIAR here by misrepresenting the facts of his situation.  First, the contract he signed to handle his insurance claim states in affect that "if we can get insurance company to pay for the work".  The insurance company paid for the roofing portion but would only allow portions of the siding to be done.  Our roofing division completed his roof to his satisfaction.  I am Paul Schaffrin writing this rebuttal.  The only time I personally spoke with Mr. Taylor is when I indicated that his insurance company was refusing to pay for all sides of his home to be replaced on the siding. The siding was going to be difficult if not impossible to match and we didn't want to damage our reputation by doing a partial "rigged" repair and then take on that liability, but that I would be glad to negotiate on his behalf with the insurance company to see if I could get them to pay for the whole house siding to be sure that he had a quality job and that it all matched.  Dispite spending two months debating with the Mr. Taylor's insurance company we were not successful in getting a successful settlement to replace all the siding.  In December of 2012 we suddenly received a notice from the Better Business Bureau indicating that he felt we breeched contract when in reality per our contract since the insurance company refused to pay for the siding our contract was void for that portion.  Here is a copy of the BBB complaint and our response to it.  The BBB closed the complaint as resolved in our favor as he had no righteous basis to make the complaint.  He also made the same complaint with the State of Missouri Attorney General office that was also removed for the same reasons.  Ultimately to satisfy him Dale Bayer (Project coordinator for CRB) who handled all interaction for Mr. Taylor from this point on, told him if he still wanted to do the work, we would go ahead to do it if that is what he wanted but he would need to release us from liability since it was basically a patch job and against our typical policy; we were willing to work with him but first he had to notify BBB and Attorney General, that his claims that we breached contract were unfounded and he jumped the gun making an invalid complaint since we were not contractrually obligated to do anything.. we had no contract to do the patch job.  He agreed, but with the Attorney General he lied and said we remedied the situation instead of acknowleging that the complaint was unfounded to begin with.  Regardless, we did the work.  In his "Rip Off' Report, he calls me (Paul Schaffrin) a liar, this is a complete falsehood as I never intervened or had any dialog with Mr. Taylor after the discussion that I would try to get insurance adjuster to pay for all the siding.  After that, the coordinator Dale Bayer handled everything, including the signing of the contract to do the partial repair and collection of the $500 deductible (Deductible: is the first portion owed by the insured prior to any funds paid by insurance handler).  Later Mr. Taylor indicated to Mr. Bayer of CRB that he expected or believed that the $500 would be refunded.  By doing this he was soliciting us to commit insurance fraud, which would be more damaging to our company than any Rip Off report.  The nature of Mr. Taylor (customer) and Mr. Bayer's conversation I am not privy to, since I wasn't there, but it is irrellevant anyway as the top of the contract signed by Mr. Taylor says "No Verbal Agreement Recognized". I cannot attest to what they discussed as I was not there, but that does NOT make me a LIAR.  Him calling me a LIAR makes him a liar.  Any prospective customers can read this and I can provide a multitude of clients who have trusted me and my A+ BBB accredited business for over 22 years who will tell you how honest I am, how wonderful Creative Renovations is and why they are loyal customers and what type of job we do.  We Don't Cheat anyone.  The only complaints I ever receive, BBB or otherwise are people who are trying to cheat us, and get mad when we don't let them get away with it, OR people who simply misunderstand contract and don't discuss with us prior to logging complaints.  We are always amicable and bend over backwards to help people resolve issues..sometimes in their favor even if they are technically wrong. In hindsight, after Mr. Taylor's complaints with BBB and ATTY General, we should not have entered an agreement with him at all, since the red flags were there that these are the tactics he uses to manipulate what he wants (trying to extort by attempting to tarninsh the reputation of a GOOD company). HERE IS A COPY OF THE BBB COMPLAINT HE FILED THAT IS NOW CLOSED AS "INVALID" (READ AT BOTTOM OF FOLLOWING REPORT) AFTER THEY RECEIVED OUR REPLY, HOPEFULLY ANY READERS OF THIS WILL COME TO THE SAME CONCLUSION AS THE BBB:

Location Involved:   (Same as above)

Consumer's Original Complaint :

this company has lead me on for 6 months and has failed in every category there is as far as service goes. no one has followed up on anything.

I signed a contract on 06/14/2012 to have my roof and siding repaired.  It took them over 2  months to just get the roof repaired and they pressured me to pay them before the siding was completed. I spoke with 2 different guys in charged of the siding and they both said they were working on it and would be in touch but never followed up on anything.  I was the one calling them versus them calling me. I got nothing but apologizes and excuses as to why they were behind on everything.  The last time anyone called me was over 6 weeks ago and I was told they were working with the insurance company on the final numbers and would get back with me. When I contacted my insurance company they said they gave CBR all the information on where to purchase my siding.  I went with this company because they had a A+ rating with the BBB, but will from now on use caution regardless of this rating due to this experience.  This company was only interested in fixing my roof because that was their "bread and butter" and knew the siding was only going to be a small profit because it was just 1 side of my house versus a whole house wrap.

Consumer's Desired Resolution:

I would like this company to just complete the work they promised to do...

BBB Processing

12/09/2012                web       BBB        Complaint Received by BBB

12/10/2012                DPT       BBB        Member or MIP Complaint Reviewed by BBB Operator

12/10/2012                Otto      EMAIL     C1 - Send Acknowledgement to Consumer - Mbr

12/10/2012                Otto      EMAIL     B1 - Inform Member of Complaint

12/19/2012                WEB      BBB        RECEIVE BUSINESS RESPONSE : Contact Name and Title: PAUL SCHAFFRIN, PRESIDENT

Contact Phone: 636-940-1974

Contact Email: paulmart_1@yahoo.com

This contract was for an insurance claim.  Our contracts for insurance work are broke down for each type of work and the roofing separated from other work.  For instance:  If the inurance company pays enough to properly do the roof, then we can do it and the contract leaves us room to negotiate with insurance adjusters for portions of payments that are underfunded- this prevents us from being forced to do work that is below our standards.  I am the President of CRB and I personally called Mr. Taylor and explained to him, that on the siding work, we were not comfortable with the adjuster's work write up- only replacing one side-we explained that the one side was underfunded AND that we thought he was being treated unfairly.  I told him if he gave me some time, I would call the adjusters and negotiate to see if we could get them to supplement the difference. Our biggest hangup with the adjusters write up was the old siding and the new wouldn't match because of age and not sure if we could find it.  issues like this, we are opening the doors for huge complaints.  We spent more time trying to do this than it was worth even if we were successful, because we try to uphold a standard and it isn't all about the money; if it were, the time we spent trying to get the supplements we could have sold 4 more jobs and made more $. If the insurance doesn't pay enough to do job right- our contract allows us to decline any portion of the work.  5 weeks ago, my project manager, Dale Bayer called and spoke with him and told him we'd look into it.  I do acknowlege and will apologize that we moved our office to Olivette and in the shuffle, lots of things were boxed and normal methods we use to stay on top of things were in dissaray during the transition- to complicate matters further- the computer I use that houses backups of documnets had crashed and I had to get a new hard drive- You can verify this with Eytan Rodin at Computer Problem Busters on Olive who installed the new harddrive and had to take considerable time extracting and restoring my files from the old one.  Needless to say with all the drama- I was not diligent in following up with Mr. Taylor to let him know that we hadn't heard back from the Insurance Company.  In fairness to us, he mentions that the Insurance company "told him" that they forwarded info to us that the siding was available- this is NOT true (not that he is lying-how would he know if they did or not? assuming they really told him that) The fact is, they never sent any information to me nor replied to me at all agreeing to supplement nor declining it, I left a message 3 times asking for a call back and an email to which I could forward the supplemnts request.  If they told him this- he was culpable to share the informateion with us or at least call us to verify we got it before making the BBB complaint.  I got no calls from him nor did Dale Bayer.  The office Phones automatically are forwarded to my cell when not in office.  The last contact with Mr. Taylor was when Dale spoke to him in early November.  Don't you think it would be appropriate, to call us first (the office) to air a grievance and give us a chance to rectify and only call the BBB if we neglected his request?  Not to mention- his complaint has no relavance to our written contract. I do apologize at our failure in the communication chain- but in contract communications- there are two parties and he also neglected to communicate with us.  I am offended that his first line of resolution was to go straight to defaming our good name by calling the BBB.  This is inappropriate.  To illustrate it is the equivalent of accidentally cutting in front of someone in a line without saying "excuse me" so they respond by hitting you with a baseball bat (get the picture?) The average person would say-"uh, excuse me but I was here first", not go straight to violence.  I know that analogy may be extreme but when you attempt to injure my business that is violence to me. The insurance company never called back- he claims he spoke with them and all he had to do was contact us to tell us that.  AGAIN- I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO APOLOGIZE FOR OUR SHARE OF THIS MISUNDERSTANDING- BUT YOU SEE THERE ARE SHORTCOMINGS ON BOTH SIDES- HARDLY A CAUSE FOR A BBB COMPLAINT- BEING THAT CONTRACTUALLY WE WERE NOT OBLIGATED AND STILL ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE SIDING SINCE IT THE INSURANCE PROCEEDS ALLOWED ARE INSUFFICIENT TO DO A PROPER REPAIR TO CRB STANDARDS.  WE WILL BE GLAD TO DISCUSS AN AMICABLE RESOLUTION WITH HIM, BUT NOT IF OUR RATING IS IMPARED BY THIS UNECESSARY CLAIM. WE WOULD LIKE THIS REMOVED.

12/19/2012                BB         EMAIL     C3A-Forward Business response to Consumer

12/26/2012                OttO     BBB        No Consumer Response- Assumed Resolved with Letter

12/26/2012                OttO     EMAIL     B-AR  Inform Business - Closed ASSUMED RESOLVED

12/26/2012                OttO     BBB        Case closed - Assumed RESOLVED

01/09/2013                              BBB        MORE INFO RECEIVED FROM THE CONSUMER : Please be advised that I would like to withdraw my complaint againt Creative Renovations & Building inc...  This company has been in contact with me and has since completed 100% of the work as promised to my satisfaction.

01/09/2013                BB         BBB        ReOpen the Complaint

01/09/2013                BB         BBB        Close RESOLVED - with Letter

01/09/2013                Otto      EMAIL     Inform Business - Case Closed RESOLVED

01/09/2013                Otto      BBB        Case Closed RESOLVED

02/07/2013                SES       BBB        More info received from the consumer

02/08/2013                DPT       BBB        ReOpen the Complaint

02/08/2013                DPT       BBB        Close Invalid Without Letters (Other)

02/08/2013                Otto      BBB        Case Closed as INVALID