installed

• Updated: Sun, November 17, 2013

• Reported By: Rose — Chico California
Credit Acceptance
25505 W 12 Mile Rd # 3000, Southfield, MI 48043 Southfield, Michigan USA

Credit Acceptance Auto Finance Credit Acceptance Auto Finance Increases monthly payments Southfield Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Comments...

*Consumer Comment: Take your written contract to an attorney

I bought a 2008 Chevy Impala in 2010 and had the miss fortune to get financed with Credit Acceptance. Things went well until August 2013 when I missed a payment and my car was repossessed. To get my car back I had to verbally agree to payments over 500 dollars per month. When I complained about the raise in payments I was told there was a clause in my contract that allowed the raise in monthly payments and that I had agreed to these terms when I bought the car.  When I reviewed my contract no clause was found. When I confronted Customer Service at Credit Acceptance they said it was a verbal agreement with the repro department.  I agreed to make the 500 dollars payment on the 10th of the month but because of the hardship of higher payments.  I found I was going to be 2 days late so I called Credit Acceptance to let them know.  That same day I was plaid my car was repossessed again, I was able to get my car back after paying over a thousand dollars.  Again Credit Acceptance raised my monthly payments to over 600 a month. When I complained to Customer Service they said I had agreed to these terms although I did not sign a new contract. I am seeking legal aid but would like to let everyone know about Credit Acceptance Shady policies.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/17/2013 01:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Credit-Acceptance/Southfield-Michigan-48034/Credit-Acceptance-Auto-Finance-Credit-Acceptance-Auto-Finance-Increases-monthly-payments-1100106. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Credit Acceptance

Comments...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Okay just like you can't change the terms of a written contract at any time, they can not do it either.  So if there is nothing in the contract that says they can just out of the blue change the terms you have a very legitimate case, and should seek legal council.

But with that said...in looking at the situation is there more here?

First of all you failed to mention what your original payment was.  That is how much of an increase was this?  There is a big difference if this was $20 or $200/month.  Also was this for the remainder of the loan or only a few months.

Then remember your car got reposessed for a missing payment.  Once it was reposessed did you pay all of the Repo Fees as well as the back payment?  Or was part of this "agreement" that you wouldn't have to pay all of these fees to get the car back but as a result they would increase your monthly payment to cover it.  If that is the case then there MAY be justification for this new agreement.

The same goes for the next reposession.  You said you paid over $1000 to get it back, well what made up that $1000 and was that all of your past due amount including the extra fees?

Take your written contract to an attorney

AUTHOR: FloridaNative - ()

They can not over ride a written agreement with a verbal one. Any modification to the contract must be in writing. I am not an attorney so you need to take your contract, your receipts and any other info about the purchase, sale and repo to an attorney that can represent you.