Complaint Review: Cross Country Bank - Midland Credit Management, Inc.

• Submitted: Fri, August 13, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, March 31, 2006

• Reported By:newark Ohio
Cross Country Bank - Midland Credit Management, Inc.
5775 Roscoe Ct. San Diego, California U.S.A.

Cross Country Bank and Midland Credit Management, Inc. rip-off! Dishonest, fraudulent collection. San Diego California

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: To the contrary

*Consumer Suggestion: Cross Country Abuse

*Consumer Suggestion: Some helpful info

*Consumer Suggestion: Ignorance Common sense is as follows

A few years ago, I recieved a letter in the mail offering me a credit card. My credit was really bad and I was unable to get a credit card. I called the number on the back of the credit card sent to me and to my amazement I was given $300.00 line of credit. I had the card for about two months before I tried to use it to pay for a $6.00 meal at a restaurant. The card was declined. After many phone calls, I learned that the card had been used to pay the fees for itself. The fees were $350.00. I told them to cancel the card and I was not going to pay fees on a card that I did not get to use. To me, I was basicly paying $350.00 for a piece of plastic.

Shortly after this, I got a copy of my credit report in order to pay off my past debt and try to fix my credit. Cross Country Bank was on there and the total amount due to them was $1122.80. I was outraged. My wife began sending out checks to pay for my past debts. In the process, she did a check by phone to Cross Coutry Bank. I didn't want to pay them, but atleast the whole thing was over with.

Two months ago, I began recieving phone calls from Midland Credit Management, inc. They were contacting me to collect the $1122.80 owed to Cross Country Bank. I told them that I already paid the amount to Cross Country Bank. They became very angry and told me that they would sue me if I did not pay.

Yesterday, I recieved a certified letter from the Licking County Municipal Court. I am being sued for the amount. Since, I paid the amount using a check by phone, I don't have a reciept. Also, since it was paid a couple of years ago, my bank history show history for up to 1 year. I have no proof of paying.

I did research on these two companies and found out there are multiple reports of fraud on each. Cross Country Bank has also been sued by 3 different states. My main concern, however, is that I have 28 days from yesterday (8-12-04) to respond or I automatically lose the judgement. Without proof of payment, I do not know how to respond. All I know is I am being scammed and do not want to pay this again.

Shannon
newark, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/13/2004 11:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Cross-Country-Bank-Midland-Credit-Management-Inc/San-Diego-California-92123/Cross-Country-Bank-and-Midland-Credit-Management-Inc-rip-off-Dishonest-fraudulent-coll-103498. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Cross Country Bank - Midland Credit Management, Inc.

Beverly is hilarious! :o)

Stacey, all of my negative accounts are being disputed with the credit bureaus. I have only agreed to settle on ONE of my accounts. My dispute with Cross Country is still ongoing, and I don't plan on paying them a single penny. I called and asked if they would "delete" (I'm sure you know what that means, being a past collector), and they said no. I will simply let the statute run out at the end of the year. I attempted to settle with them so it would be a win-win situation. Of course now, it will be a win (for me, since it will finally be off my credit report) and a lose (for them, since they will not get a single penny from me) situation.

I believe it would benefit collection agencies to try and work with consumers in situations like this, by offering to do a credit deletion after a settlement is agreed upon. If the agency denies, then simply refuse to pay... especially if the debt is rather large. LOL. Any collection agency can go and kiss my ace for all I care. :o)

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

To the contrary

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

Yes you do have 45 days. The law is 30 days but Midland gives you 45. The law states you have the right to dispute with 30 days and if you do within that 30 days then it is Midlands responsibility to prove it is yours and if you don't then it is the debtors responsibility. However like I said, Midland gives you and extra 15 days. I used to work there and they are pretty reasonable and understanding. Most of the collectors and managers are reasonable and understanding but every company has those few a**holes, so if you happen to get one of them ask for a supervisor. I have been in the collections business many years and I know what I am talking about!

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Cross Country Abuse

AUTHOR: Beverly - (U.S.A.)

Please contact the FDIC regarding Cross Country's abuse. I did and I received a letter from Cross Country stating that they will leave me alone. I told them they'd better or face my wrath and they do not want to make me mad.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Some helpful info

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

Contrary to what the other person posting said, you don't have only 45 days to dispute this. You don't lose that right after 45 days. Additionally, it's not up to you to prove that it's not yours - it is that of the creditor. You can file a demand letter to make them prove the debt. Examples are on www.artofcredit.com, bayhouse.com and creditwrench.com's discussion boards. Demand that they produce a copy of the original contract /agreement that the debt stems from which shows your signature. Chances are, due to age and company practice, Midland won't have it.

Don't speak to them on the phone and do not trust what they say. Also, if this is an old debt, it may be past the statute of limitations in your state for them to legally attempt to collect on under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. Find out what the statute is for your state. They are also notorious for re-aging uncollectible debt so that it looks newer and looks like it is not past the legal statute of limitations to collect. Pull your credit report and watch it weekly - you can do this for $10/month at Equifax - a friend of mine has them illegally on her credit report and uses the alerts feature on "ScoreWatch" . They re-report every WEEK and her score yo-yos up and down by the same 20 points each week.

Also, contact the bank you had your checking account with and ask the to find the check for you in their database, It should be accessible to them.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Ignorance Common sense is as follows

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

Common sense is as follows:
1. Midland Credit verifys social security numbers on every account and every call. If your social security number matched more than likely it is yours. If it isn't then you have 45 days to dispute it and the burden of proof is on us. If you do not dispute it within that 45 days then you have to prove it. It's fair. Right. Because I know if I get a phone call or a letter stating I owe something and I really don't then I know I am on the phone asap/ And so are the rest of you!
2. If you paid off an account already then all you have to do is show proof and Midland is sure to update the proper changes ASAP.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC