Complaint Review: Crown International Forwarder, CTL USA, Inc., Boxline UCL

• Updated: Mon, April 28, 2014

• Reported By: I. — Hacienda Heights California
Crown International Forwarder, CTL USA, Inc., Boxline UCL
1814 Dimmocks Mill road Hillsborough, North Carolina USA

Crown International Forwarder, CTL USA, Inc., Boxline UCL Misrepresenting themselves, false promises and failing to deliver Hillsborough North Carolina

*UPDATE Employee: Rebuttal to Report # 1142233

I was looking to ship my things from Los Angeles, California to Vienna, Austria, overseas. Moving from one place to another. I was looking for different shipping quotes, with picking up my things and/or bringing my things myself to the warehouse.

I got several different quotes from different companies and yes Crown International Forwarder made the best offer. Almost a third of other quotes. But with my own delivery to the warehouse. I called them up and only one person, Chris Neo, spoke with me and kept being the only person to deal with. Like a one man show, I feel.

I asked him how he could be possibly so cheap and he told me it is our outstanding customer service and we get mostly word of mouth referrals and that way we can be so competitive. He said that there also would be a destination charge as an agent would get my things released at customs. It would be about €150.

I decided to give it a go. He also said that if I pack it myself and bring it to the warehouse, the warehouse staff will carry the load for me and put it on pallets and shrinkwrap it, that is called palletization and I would have to pay a little bit extra, But that way the single boxes would not be all over the place.  But he would not give me an exact quote, he just said it wouldn't be much more. So I trusted him. I expected a final bill around $1,200.

He gave me the warehouse address where to bring my things. I wanted to save as much money as possible as I was shipping from oversees,

I packed my own stuff and rented a uhaul to transport it to the warehouse. Last minute Chris told me that the place to transport it to is a different one than originally. So I had no chance to inform myself about the terms and conditions of that 'new' warehouse. St. George Warehouse, Inc.

Upon arrival the reality was that I had to unload the truck myself and put the things on pallets myself and get them ready for shipment. No help from the warehouse staff and Chris could not be reached over the phone. I basically had to do pretty much everything myself.

BUT then I was sent the bill for that work and they wanted to charge me for the palletization!!! Which I had done myeself!!! PLUS the warehouse people measured more volume than was actually present, increasing the bill.  Making it over $1,611. I disputed the charges with the warehouse but they just referred back to the terms and conditions in which they stated that it was my liability not theirs.

After finally reaching Chris who said he had been previously out of the office, it was after hours, and having several conversations, he then took that charge off later. This reduced the bill by a forth.

I asked him again if there would be any more fees, any more charges I would have to pay or would be just the finalized $1223.63 that we now agreed on and he said that would be the final prize. No more charges.

So it shipped. The shipment was supposed to take about 5 weeks. I waited and waited and waited and after about 9 weeks I finally got word that it had arrived. But I got an email on a Friday, where there are no work days on the weekends here, and in this email I was informed I was supposed to pick up my things no later than the following Monday and if I was to fail I would be charged storage charges for each additional day that it was not picked up! AND on top of it there was no agent who clear my things at custom but instead I was billed €550 for getting my things out of that warehouse in Austria and released and that was the destination charge!!! And the people at the new warehouse didn't tell me that I had to get my things through customs first and get it cleared and that it would take an additional day before that would happen so that I ended up with a truck company that was supposed to pick up my things that day, but couldn't and I had to pay them anyway, and pay at custom a fee although I was told with a residency declaration from my Austrian Consulate in Los Angeles, I wouldn't have to pay anything, the bill ended up to be about and additonal €800!!!

It basically doubled the prize of the initial agreement that I was given by Chris Neo!!! And then I got a bunch of excuses why that was OK and agreed on anyway. Eric Ng from CTL then also explained to me that this was the was it is done and this is all legal and the terms where all clearly stated on the website.

The problem is that I was never given his website of his company and neither could I find it in Google nor did anyone tell me upfront how things were to be done or being dealt with. There was a lot of assumption and promises but none were fulfilled. It was always different then I was told.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/28/2014 04:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Crown-International-Forwarder-CTL-USA-Inc-Boxline-UCL/Hillsborough-North-Carolina-27278/Crown-International-Forwarder-CTL-USA-Inc-Boxline-UCL-Misrepresenting-themselves-fal-1142233. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Crown International Forwarder, CTL USA, Inc., Boxline UCL

Rebuttal to Report # 1142233

AUTHOR: Crown International Forwarder - (USA)

This is in response to the report # 1142233 dated April 28th 2014.

We were only made aware of this report several days ago, so we are just now replying to set the record straight.

After reviewing the customer's complaint, it is with the attitude of fairness that I am replying as follows:
The customer made a couple of correct points and incorrect on the others.

It is correct that there was a change of location of the receiving terminal at the last minute. It is also correct that the web site of the carrier ( freight consolidator ) with whom we booked the shipment with was not accessible at time of his shipment.

Both of these unfortunate incidents happened co-incidentally at a time when the carrier's website was undergoing construction and there was a last minute change of their receiving terminal. However neither of these incidents reflects in any way the reliability of the carrier or ourselves as the freight forwarder.

As far as the customer's claim of being overcharged, here is the time line of our quote:

Oct 7th 2013: We quoted the customer $330.00 based on 35.0 cu ft. If it goes beyond the 35.0 cu ft, the additional cost is $8.85 per cu ft. This quote is from terminal Long Beach, CA to terminal Vienna, Austria.

Nov 12th 2013: Customer requested for a quote based on 65.0 cu ft and for door pick up from Hacienda Heights, CA.We replied the same day with a quote of $185.00 for the pick up for weight not to exceed 500.0 lbs and terminal to terminal at $595.50 based on 65.0 cu ft ( calculated based on our initial quote as above mentioned ).

On/about Dec 9th 2013: Customer dropped off 57 loose pieces at the receiving terminal.

Dec 11th 2013: We sent customer a bill for $1611.63. Customer replied the same day expressing disbelief cost went up from $595.50 to $1611.63 ( As if the customer is not aware of the drastic increase in the volume of his shipment from 65.0 cu ft to 144.44 cu ft ! )

Dec 12th 2013: We replied to the customer with a detailed breakdown of the cost which reads as follows:

Terminal to Terminal - $1298.54 ( Based on the final volume of his shipment at 144.44 cu ft and calculated as per our initial quote to him dated Oct 7th 2013 ).

Palletization cost - $110.00

Marine insurance - $203.09

( I reminded customer that his shipment went from 65.0 cu ft to 144.44 cu ft which is more than double than the original 65.0 cu ft ! )

As a courtesy to the customer, we requested the receiving terminal to re measure the shipment. They came back confirming that at 57 loose boxes, the volume is 113.0 cu ft and after palletization and shrink wrapping, the volume increased to 144.44 cu ft.

Dec 17th 2013: As s courtesy to the customer, I decided to bill him at 113.0 cu ft and waived the cost for palletization, bringing the total charges down to $1223.39.
Customer replied to thank me.

Jan 7th 2014: I sent an email to the customer to request him to re measure his shipment when it arrives at the destination. But he did not reply.

Concerning customer's complaint of the transit time taking longer than was informed to him. We are a freight forwarder and we furnished transit time info as per given by the carrier.
In this industry of ocean shipping, transit time is always an estimate and is subject to changes by the carrier with or without notice.

And finally, to address the customer's complain of charges incurred at destination. The destination charges were informed to the customer in our very first initial quote to him. Although the amount of this destination charges were not quoted, it is only because these destination charges were not associated with us as they are billed to the customer by the carrier's overseas agent for their local handling. Therefore we stated very clearly " Overseas/Destination handling charges and customs clearance/formalities at destination are for account of the consignee ( receiving party at destination )" in our initial quote to the customer.

As much as we try to please all customers, it is only fair to say there will always be some unhappy customers.

You decide.