Complaint Review: Custom Sounds

• Updated: Tue, October 01, 2013

• Reported By: Melkiah — Round Rock Texas
Custom Sounds
8241 Burnet Road Austin, Texas USA

Custom Sounds Custom Sounds Burnet Built a faulty sub-woofer enclosure that led to the demise of my driver. Austin Texas

*Author of original report: Mike (CEO) comes through and goes the extra mile.

About 8 months ago, I had Custom Sounds install a subwoofer in my Mini Cooper S. due to the extreme dimensions of my trunk I had them build me a custom box for a sub. I installed a JL 13TW5-3, as well as a JL 600 watt monoblock. 6 months later my speaker's cone is cracked. I took it to them this morning to have them warranty it out because it's been one year and I have run it within parameters. I have never moved the box or done anything outside of the original installation. My original intention was to get an RMA from JL.
They told me that it was my fault and that I had damaged the subwoofer. There was nothing in my trunk other than the box and amp that they mounted. Well after I was denied the claim, I went home and removed the box to find that there was an imprint of the subwoofer in my carpet. that leads me to believe the installation was done shoddily. The technicians there should know that a subwoofer requires a certain amount of distance for excursion. [continued below]....

.....

So in the end, Custom Sounds is responsible for the damage to the subwoofer. They are unwilling to work with me and are unwilling to accept responsibility for the error.

Than I went to another location and told them that a friend had done the installation. The person at Custom Sounds immediately accused the box for the damage to the subwoofer. After that I told him that it was actually custom sounds that did the installation. He immediately went on the defense right after that. I than proceeded to the original installation store and disclosed this with them. They had already talked to each other on the phone. Once again they refuse to acknowledge the prints on my carpet. Two managers got the story confused one said they tried to test a grill to see if it would hit the floor today. The other said that they put the grill on there to see if it would hit the floor six seven months ago. Right then and there I knew they were lying.

they also told me that they could not find parts in my trunk that were part of the subwoofer. Needless to say I found them within 10 seconds of looking. It was a dust cap that I found in their parking lot in my trunk.

These guys care solely about money. They aren't going to build you the best setup and they are gouging on cables etc.

In the end, they were rude and told me to get out of their "f*ck#*g store." Real professionalism there.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/01/2013 10:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Custom-Sounds/Austin-Texas-78757/Custom-Sounds-Custom-Sounds-Burnet-Built-a-faulty-sub-woofer-enclosure-that-led-to-the-de-1088795. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Custom Sounds

Mike (CEO) comes through and goes the extra mile.

AUTHOR: Melkiah - ()

For those of you who have read my previous review, I have made some errors.

There were words fired on both sides, everyone had their hand in this.

But as of today 10/9/2013, I spoke to the real CEO of the company, Mike.

He had me bring the sub in to the shop and put JL's grill on the woofer. It did in fact clear by about .5", and that's the grill.

In the end, the damage done to the subwoofer was mine and mine alone. I'd like to formally apologize to Custom Sounds for the mishaps and the negative attention that they have received from this. All I wanted to do was make sure that it wasn't a box error, and it wasn't.

I'd like to thank Mike, because he's a real customer service oriented person. Even though the damage was indeed caused by me, he went ahead and pulled a few strings, got the sub refurb'd at no extra charge, and is including a grill so that problems like this won't happen in the future.

I'd also like to shout out to Fadi at Custom Sounds off of Research BLVD. He's also a real customer oriented fellow and also helped me around while I was looking for a new 3 way set for my vehicle. Everyone at the Research BLVD store was extremely helpful and good to converse with.

I'm not being paid or swindled to say these things, I'm not changing my review just because they decided to take care of me. I'm changing this review because the president apologized and got on my level. He knows things are tough during these economic times, and I wouldn't have minded if nothing was comped. All I wanted was reassurance that it was my fault, not theirs.. or vice versa.  I got that today, and I want to let you guys know that there are some motivated folks in the Custom Sounds stores that are oriented with their customers.

So once again, I'd like to apologize for the false information in this review, as to the subwoofer being damaged by a shoddy installation. Most likely the driver was already broken and a broken driver has a tendency to drive further than specification.

I will be going back to Custom Sounds in the future, and I definitly will be buying speaker grills for all of my future purchases.

Thanks again.