Complaint Review: Dan Shabo Auto Store

• Submitted: Thu, November 30, 2006
  • Updated: Fri, March 30, 2007

• Reported By:north attleboro Massachusetts
Dan Shabo Auto Store
1042 Putnam Pike Chepachet, Rhode Island U.S.A.

Dan Shabo Auto Store ripoff Scammed me out of my vehicle and illegally resold it to another individual Chepachet Rhode Island

*Consumer Comment: what happened

*Author of original report: Dealer forced to pay for truck by Rhode Island State Police

*Author of original report: Everyone is connected

*Author of original report: buyer finally has legal representation

*Consumer Suggestion: Bad check? Dan needs to go to jail NOW!

*Consumer Comment: I told you that awhile ago

*Consumer Comment: What was

*Author of original report: pay-off check bounced from dealer

*Author of original report: truck is paid by autostore but fight isn't over

*Consumer Comment: Why pay off the title

*Consumer Comment: Let them repo it

*Author of original report: latest update from the rhode island state police

*Consumer Suggestion: OK, if it isn't Jeff's truck, then who's is it?

*Consumer Comment: I think the finance company has the title

*Consumer Suggestion: Is it across state lines?

*Author of original report: No good news yet on Dan Shabo's scam

*Consumer Suggestion: I agree with Mark. Get your truck back.

*Consumer Comment: If you have the title, it is your truck

Dan Shabo led me to beleive that he was to purchase my truck from me and resell it to a customer.He would obviously mark up the price to recieve a profit.I left the vehicle at his dealership for the customer to view and decide on.Before signing any paperwork on my part and without even contacting me,Dan sold the vehicle to the customer and released it into his posession.I still hold a loan for the vehicle which was to be paid-off by Dan with the remainder of the purchase in cash.This was a verbal agreement only.

10 days later I had to surprise him at the dealership to receive the cash portion of payment for the truck.A check was written and then cashed by me immediately for fear that the funds were not present.Paperwork was then signed stating that when the loan was paid-off by Dan,the title would be sent to his address.A loan payment was at that point 2 days past due and a sense of urgency was expressed on my part so that the pay-off would be made in a timely fashion.2 weeks later I received a statement in the mail from my bank stating that payment had not been received and that it was soon to be 30 days past due and reported to the credit bureau.This would ruin my credit which I work hard to maintain!Repeated phone calls were placed to the dealership with no response.

I went to the dealership just to have a phone handed to me with him on the other end.He proceeded to tell me that I contacted the new buyer and ruined the deal.(I have now been in contact with the buyer and found this to be another lie!)He told me he had no intention of paying off the loan any time soon and that he wasn't afraid of me.

I have now gotten the Rhode Island state police involved who have told me that this is not a criminal case,just a civil one.(He didn't smash my window and hotwire the truck,but I still consider this to be a stolen vehicle!)It has been 8 weeks now without payment.I found the name of the buyer and have contacted him.He has been unable to register the truck that he paid $17k for because his bank does not have the title.He is now driving the truck illegally and could be arrested and have the truck impounded since Dan seems to have better things to do with his money.

Now i'm paying my bank for a truck I do not posess and the buyer paid for a truck that legally belongs to my bank.Dan meanwhile is laughing himself to sleep at night.He seems to have no problem selling what I consider stolen property.He refuses to speak with the buyer,myself,or the state police.He stays away from his dealership for days at a time and hides in a hidden office when he is present but doesn't want to be disturbed.

Dan Shabo is a theif
Dan Shabo is a con artist
and what's worse......
Dan Shabo is a COWARD!!!!!

I am currently doing my best to find a news station that will take this story and put him on the news.I am young still and hope to soon get married and buy a house.That dream is pushed farther into the distance now that Dan has ruined my credit and is leaving me responsible for $8k that he is supposed to pay.I don't have the money for a lawyer nor the time to wait for a court case.Dan knows this and knows the law well enough to take advantage of it.

Dan is known by name with the rhode island state police,the glouster ri police dept, and the chepachet ri police dept.Other people have had the same problems that I am experiencing and yet he remains in buisness.I want to spread the word around as much as possible that he will do everything imaginable to take your money.The state police informed me that he sold their local priest a lemon and refuses to make good on it!!!Hopefully that act alone sends him to where he belongs in the afterlife.

Stay Away from Dan Shabo's Auto Store and pass the word!!

Jeff
North Attleboro, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/30/2006 04:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dan-Shabo-Auto-Store/Chepachet-Rhode-Island-02814/Dan-Shabo-Auto-Store-ripoff-Scammed-me-out-of-my-vehicle-and-illegally-resold-it-to-anothe-223113. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dan Shabo Auto Store

what happened

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

how was 4 months long enough what did you do jeff?, and why do bet the buyer had sent in his paperwork? i mean what happened with everything

Dealer forced to pay for truck by Rhode Island State Police

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

Shabo was finally forced to pay for the truck otherwise he would have been arrested. His employees, most if not all of which were working there tax free, have left him with hopes that they too won't be brought up on charges.

Fortunately for me, help came to be via the state police when other issues pointed them in Shabo's direction. It was nice to finally have someone on my side who would have been more than happy to put Shabo in jail where he belongs. They almost seemed disappointed when Shabo said he would finally pay.

Now Shabo's support system and the only people whom he may have considered his friends have left and have been very helpful in filling in the blanks in regards to his multiple scams and methods of evading the authorities. He owes money all over town...i wonder who would have bailed him out had he been arrested?

Everyone is connected

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

I no longer am seeking legal representation from a lawyer in rhode island. it seems as though everyone that i try to get involved is already associated with one or more party at Dan Shabo's AutoStore. my lawyer knew the mechanic at the dealer and his firm has already represented the salesman who handled the deal on unrelated issues.

I find that part of it hard to believe. my lawyer said it would be a conflict of interests to represent me further but still attempted to get information from me regarding my plans with the truck. i strongly believe that they are all connected.

The buyer of the truck has blown me off with regards to the dealer commission of rhode island. i sent in my paperwork in support of his claim of being sold an unregisterable truck. he told me 3 times that he sent it but never did.

I decided 4 months was long enough. i bet he wishes he sent in his paperwork now.

buyer finally has legal representation

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

thankfully telling the buyer that i was advised to let the truck be voluntarily repoed made him get his *&* in gear. he has a lot more to lose if this all goes bad. he has a lawyer now who has already threatened dan with pressing charges on a variety of issues. today dan should be getting the letter from my attorney which hopefully will be the last straw and cause dan to pay off the loan and make his legal woes disappear.

i do wonder about the police in this area. they tell me everything that dan has been doing wrong but do nothing except maybe make a few phone calls. they really have been no help. they have promised me 3 times now that the issue would be resolved within a couple of days. it has now been approx 10 weeks. i have to wonder if there is some incentive for them not to act on any of this.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Bad check? Dan needs to go to jail NOW!

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Here is another blatent criminal act by Dan, trying to obtian the title via a bad check. That is fraud. If the police aren't willing to put cuffs on Dan now I really wonder about them.

What to do next depends on whether your bank released the title. If they did you should tell the bank that you're not making any more payments on a truck you don't own, and they need to go after Dan for the bad check. If they didn't you're back where you were before, it is still your truck and you need to get it back.

I don't agree with letting it repo, unless you really don't care about your credit and you're ready to deal with a bunch of bill collectors who will come along shortly. If it is still your truck you ought to get it back and sell it to someone else to pay it off. It may be worth continuing to make payments, even though you are unlikely to recover that money, to preserve your credit.

Also if your bank did release the title, they no longer have the right to repo the truck. They possibly also no longer have the right to demand money from you or put bad marks on your credit, but they are likely to try.

I don't think you should continue to deal with the lawyer who advised you to let it repo. Besides you don't need civil court anyway, both you and the buyer have criminal cases against Dan.

I told you that awhile ago

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Look at earlier post, I told you to let them repo it originally.... My advice was free.

What was

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

the buyers take on the turn of events? He can't be too happy.
Did the new buyer take out a loan?
I would keep trying to get a news station to cover this.

pay-off check bounced from dealer

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

after a week of thinking my account was closed and the owed amount had been satisfied, i got a call sunday morning stating that my account is now 36 days past due and that i've been reported to the credit bureau. apparently dan thought that by bouncing or cancelling his check, he would recieve the title before anyone was the wiser. and with the poor practices of chase bank, he was almost right.

my bank cannot even tell me whether or not a title had been released. somehow they can't figure that out but they didn't hesitate to report me to the credit bureau based on a mistake made by them.

now i have finally contacted an attorney. he believes that taking the matter to court will take approx 8 months to go to trial and around half of the money i am trying to collect. his recommendation is to have the vehicle voluntarily repossessed. the truck would then go to auction and if sold for more than i owe, i would get the remainder of the money. i would just have to wait for my credit to recover. the person who will lose out the most is the person who has the truck and has paid $17k for it.

i have contacted that person and let him know that i am not paying on the account and that it will be repossessed within the month. now he has to do his share to resolve the issue.

truck is paid by autostore but fight isn't over

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

the truck finally has been paid in the full amount by the autostore.i wanted to pay it off myself so that there could be no legal retribution sought against me when i took the truck back,legitimate or not.i also wanted to pay it in full instead of making payments because i feared dan would wait until $3k in payments had been made on my behalf and then call the bank for a payoff estimate and save himself that money at my expense.

the fight won't end here though. the appropriate agencies need to be made aware of what is going on and the potential that my situation had to get exponentially worse. the dealership commision doesn't seem too concerned about the situation and told me i was screwed and to send them paperwork and wait 2 weeks to call. the attorney general's office wouldn't hear my story...they transfered me to the dealership commission.

does anyone know of a better way to get through about a dealer who commits fraud and gets away with it?

Why pay off the title

Jeff,

I don't understand why you need to pay off the title before you take the car back. Before all of this happened you had the truck, registered in your name, making payments, so the bank holds the title. From what I can see the only thing that has changed is someone else is driving your truck. Where are your tags? What tags does the guy driving the truck have?

If you go and get the truck, and continue to make payments to the bank (not pay it off) what is different from before all of this happened?

It just seems like it should not be this hard. Ask the police to run the VIN of the truck and see who the owner is, if it comes back as you, ask them to escort you to get your truck back. They don't need to hear the long drawn out story, just keep telling them you own it, you are making payments on it, you want it in your driveway.

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

You say your credit is already ruined because of this. Don't make another payment on the loan, call the bank and tell them where the truck is, and that they can have it. Problem solved. If someone was driving around in a car that was legally mine I would go get it back. Here in MD you keep the title but the bank puts a lien on it. If you sell a car the new owner can not title it until the lien is released, therefore it is still legally mine until the title is transferred. If this happened to me in Maryland and Don Shabo had the title but no lien release I would go to the DMV and get a duplicate title, get the truck and drive it home. The new owner can not report it stolen because it does not belong to him. I bet if you go to a police station and have them run the VIN the truck will still be registered to you.

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

latest update from the rhode island state police

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

The rhode island state trooper whom i've been dealing with attempted to confront dan shabo but was only able to speak face to face with his salesman/partner, eric. apparently eric gave the trooper a different version of my story to cover his own a*s since he is the one whom i dealt with throughout the fraudulent sale. he said he believed the vehicle had been paid off by dan and acted shocked and horrified to find out that it hadn't been.

As "proof" of the payoff he showed the trooper a photocopy of a check made out to my bank dated the end of october. that was the best he could do. he stated that the check was dated oct 31 but mailed nov 16th. that was still 2 weeks prior to this confrontation which would mean there would have been sufficient time for the check to have cleared.

i checked with the trooper and found that if i payoff the title myself, he cannot arrest me if i take the vehicle.he still considers this a civil suit. with a lawyer on my side, this is what i intend to do if this is not resolved in the 5 days that the trooper asked that i wait.once the vehicle is in my posession, i will feel more comfortable contacting the "buyer's" bank as well as the ridmv to fill them in on the situation. however, everywhere i turn seems to only lead me to 2 weeks of paperwork.

#16 Consumer Suggestion

OK, if it isn't Jeff's truck, then who's is it?

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

Here's the follow up question for Jeff to ask the police: "If I went and got the truck, could the "buyer" report it stolen? Would you come after me for "stealing" it?" The buyer can't even register it in his name. Assuming the finance company hasn't allowed the title to be transferred because it isn't paid off, Jeff could still go to the DMV and get license plates for it in his name, put those on and drive it away.

Those police just amaze me. Apparently they just don't want to be bothered when people are breaking the law. They are right that this is not a case of auto theft, but they need to arrest Dan for fraud. That won't get anyone's money back but it will bring some justice to this situation.

Hopefully Jeff has some paperwork related to this. Even without any papers, any judge will realize that you can't buy a vehicle without paying off all liens on it, and you can't sell a vehicle without providing clear title to the buyer. And another hint, if Dan wanted to say he paid Jeff more money than he did, where's his proof of making that payment?

This prosecution should be led by the buyer because he's the bigger victim here. Maybe he doesn't realize that because he still has the truck. Jeff, get your truck back. If you can't get the truck back, at least buy insurance for it in case something happens to it.

Because if Jeff actually had it, I dont think this would be an issue.

Since there was not a clear title on it, I dont think Jeff had a legal right to sell the vehicle(at least not without SOME kind of supporting paperwork); which may be why the State Police are telling him not to file a report.

Now, the buyer may have a case against Shabo, since he sold he a vehicle that cant registered/titled. Does DMV not have an enforcement division in RI?

#20 Consumer Suggestion

Is it across state lines?

AUTHOR: Sarah - (U.S.A.)

I noticed that you are from Massachussetts but the dealership in question is in Rhode Island. If this is true, then it can be considered a federal case and you can contact the FBI.

No good news yet on Dan Shabo's scam

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

I have contacted the attorney generals office to get a legal point of view on the topic.They told me that since he paid me the $7k by check,he can write up a phony bill of sale for that amount.I am leaning toward borrowing the money and purchasing the title myself.However, i'm afraid that then I will be sued for the title.

The rhode island state police informed me that filing a stolen vehicle report on the truck would result in me filing a fraudulant report.For some reason they do not consider what Dan has done to be a crime.I want to get the truck but if the police do not consider it stolen,i'm afraid they will come after me for it.

I was informed that this scam is used often usually involving trade-in vehicles.Nothing is put in writing that the loan will be paid-off and when brought to trial,the judge wants paperwork as proof of the agreement.

Dan has the upper hand right now and I need a way to chop it off!

#22 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

The buyer may be a nice guy, but you have to. Since the truck is still in your name, if there's a crash or even a parking ticket you could be liable. You're both victims of Dan but you need to get the truck back to protect your interests.

This is a criminal matter. It is clear that Dan intended all along to keep the buyer's money instead of paying off your loan. That is called Fraud, which is a crime. Talk to the police or the DA again until you find someone willing to help. Although, if you are able to recover the truck, most of your fraud case goes away. The buyer would also be interested in criminal prosecution.

I disagree with Mark about giving any money back to Dan. If anyone deserves it, it is the buyer. It was his money all along.

#23 Consumer Suggestion

#24 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

If you have the title, it is your truck

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

Who has the title? At this point it is still your vehicle, go get it and let the buyer deal with getting his money back from Shabo, not your problem. Basically at this time you have someone riding around in your vehicle. When you sell it to someone else, give Dan Shabo his money back, or let him sue you for it. If the police run the car and it is still in your name I would have them go with you to get it. They will tell the other guy too bad.