Complaint Review: David Bauer Property Management

• Updated: Tue, April 22, 2014

• Reported By: Tilefreak — Corvallis Montana
David Bauer Property Management
1156 21st Street West Dickenson, North Dakota USA

David Bauer Property Management My Daughter ripped off heavy with signing a 6 mo. lease. Just 20 yrs, old and they want $6000.00 Dickenson North Dakota

*Consumer Comment: Correction...

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: We all know?

This was my Daughters first time away from home. We live in Montana, and she and a friend moved over to Dickenson, ND last June. Like everyone knows there is alot of work in ND, just hard to find affordable housing. She had stayed with friends until she finally found an apartment which was a David Bauer property. Without knowing what she was signing, ( 20 yrs old, just learning the ropes ) she signed a 6 mo. lease. She only stayed 1 month, and explained the situation to the manager. She told my Daughter to leave the keys in the lock box, and to leave the door to the apt. unlocked so that she could check it out for damage, etc. The apt. was clean and ready for the inspection. My Daughter never heard anything else, until last month when a collection agency contacted her saying that she owed David Bauer Properties $6000.00. She called me in tears, and I of course was in shock. Not only are they charging people double rent in ND right now, but they are also putting the screws to anyone they possibly can. We all know they rented the apt. right away, so now they want ANOTHER $6000.00 from a 20 year old girl that doesn't have it, nor do I.  She went in to the collection agency, and they told her that she should have asked what she was signing, well the manager made no attempt to tell her either. The collection agency has been in touch with Bauer Prop. they will now settle with my Daughter for $1100.00. I still feel it is a total ripoff from someone that has plenty of money, and wants to rip off whoever for whatever they can get. Karma is a heavy, heavy thing, and Mr. Bauer has a big dose coming his way.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/22/2014 09:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/David-Bauer-Property-Management/Dickenson-North-Dakota-58601/David-Bauer-Property-Management-My-Daughter-ripped-off-heavy-with-signing-a-6-mo-lease-1140957. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on David Bauer Property Management

Correction...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

I was mistakingly listed as Owner of the Company..that is incorrect.

It should be "Consumer Comment".  I am not an owner, employee or have any ties to this(or any) management company.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

We all know?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Wow..it is amazing what we are all supposed to know.  Perhaps these assumptions you are making about what we are supposed to know, have the same problem as the assumptions you seem to have about your situation.

I will start this off by saying that your daughter is a legal adult and responsible for her actions.  One of these actions are being held up to contracts(such as a lease) that she signs.  If this management company is going by the lease agreement there is NOTHING wrong.  Perhaps she can take this as an (expensive) lesson to read what she is signing and in the future this may save her from making more costly mistakes.

Now, what she did do is technically "break the lease", and broke her promise to stay there for 6 months and pay 6 months worth of rent.  In most cases there are monies due to the landlord, and while I can't say if the $6,000 was valid.  I can't even say if the $1,100 is valid, but that actually sounds like it is very reasonable.  Especially if you take into account things such as lost rent, possible cleaning.  Because contrary to what you seem to think we know, we do not know when they re-rented the apartment.  You don't say what your daughters explanation was as to why she wanted to leave..but I have a feeling by the tone of your report it is because she realized she couldn't afford it.

Let me put this into another angle.  Think about buying a car.  Say you enter into a 6 year loan, and after 1 year you figure you can no longer afford the car.  So by your logic just because the finance company has money they should allow you to just return the car with no further action.  Well like leases..that is NOT how it works.  In the case of the car loan, if you fail to pay they reposess it, sell it at auction, and come after you for the difference.   You see these are companies that "gasp" want to make money, they do not have the word "charity" in their name.