Complaint Review: David Sykes

• Reported By: Unfortunate victim — Kirkland Washington
David Sykes
1501 Broadway Everett , Washington USA

David Sykes handyman Individual from Craigslist Everett Washington

We recently encountered a fraud during the July 4th weekend and would like for you to investigate further - here is what happened -

My wife and I had been considering replacing our deckboards and building stairs for a while and called a couple of guys for a quote from Craigslist.

They came took a look at the deck on 3rd July and spoke with great confidence about what all needs to be done and how long it would take and quoted $1650 for it. Since they were pricing the job reasonably and seemed to possess the knowledge about decks we decided to go with them.

I signed a contract with them without checking if they were licensed. They also asked for half down to purchase materials, so we issued a check for $850, that they cashed the same day.

They were going to come in on Friday the 5th as per verbal agreement, but somewhere I accidentally mentioned Saturday the 6th. After they did not show up on Friday we texted one of the numbers they gave in the contract and that was David Syke's number. He kept insisting that we asked him to come Saturday and that he had signed up for another job for Friday. So we asked him to come Saturday. I had to take a job related trip Sunday which I booked last minute. Then I mentioned to him I won't be here Sunday but since my wife will be in town it would be ok. Then he insisted that the contract was signed with me not my wife (that was red flag 1 ). I've never heard of this before.

After this we asked him to return the check back. He texted back saying he'd return the goods Monday the 8th and give the check back. On Monday eve my wife called to ask him for the check. He said that he put it in the mailbox. After looking for it in the mailbox and not finding it my wife called him back and he said that he mailed the check and it should be in the mailbox. Without knowing this had happened I texted him asking him for the check and he texted and left a voicemail with bad language.

On Wednesday the 10th he kept texting me saying he needed to talk. I was in meetings and had my wife call him. He said that he was trying to reach me to check if we received the check.

Bottomline - We still have not received the check after almost 2 weeks. We lost $850 in the bargain. The only reason I see he has not absconded from the scene yet is because of the signed contract and his drivers license copy and a picture I took fo him when he visted us.

We googled him after the fact and found a couple of reports on him - http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/david-sykes/everett-washington-98208/david-sykes-handyman-from-hell-everett-washington-460138

Anyone please help...!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/16/2013 12:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/David-Sykes/Everett-Washington-98201/David-Sykes-handyman-Individual-from-Craigslist-Everett-Washington-1067470. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on David Sykes