Complaint Review: David W Bates

• Updated: Thu, June 20, 2013

• Reported By: Kathleen — Oakland California
David W Bates
3700 East Elm Road Oak Creek, Wisconsin USA

David W Bates/Soda Bar Systems/DB Entertainment stole my faucet & sold on ebay  Oak Creek Wisconsin

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Wrong report

*Consumer Comment: Nice Try "Mike," aka David Bates

Here is my long saga.... bought a club soda maker (it gets plumbed under sink) for about $2K from Soda Bar Systems and David Bates, owner. Have Waterstone faucets, wanted one to match rest of kitchen for club soda dispenser, so purchased a water fountain style one with weathered copper finish for $376, and David said it needed to be lined for safety since there was brass in the metal. So I sent it to him to be lined and it was returned to me (I could not detect any sort of lining but may not know what to look for). This faucet was lost by my contractor, so I ordered a second one, had it shipped to David, got email confirmation of receipt from him, and paid $200 to have second one relined.

After a couple of months went by (early/mid-2012) I started calling and emailing and never got a response as to what was happening with the faucet. Eventually I started filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau, and the federal and state (California where I live, and Wisconsin) departments of consumer affairs/protection, as well as the WI and CA State Atty General's offices. Finally David sent a letter to the CA State Atty General, saying he mailed me the faucet and I must have lost it.

My credit card company did manage to get back the $200 that they charged me for lining the faucet, though obviously not the $376 for the faucet itself or the roughly $2K for the currently un-usable soda machine.

I never received the faucet or a response from David Bates directly. After hours and hours dealing with this, I set the issue aside (as well as the $2,000 machine that I can't use and is still in the box) for a few months. Recently I pulled out the machine, found it was made by International Carbonic Inc (800-854-1177) who are in California actually closer to me. FYI you can deal directly with them, not a vendor. So I am in contact with them, and moving forward with figuring out if I actually ever needed the faucet lined in the first place (they don't think so but are confirming).

Today I looked up pricing on the faucet again, and happened to see a link to one on ebay, in new condition, with the same/rare weathered copper finish. It was being listed by, you guessed it, David Bates! So now I have updated all of my complaints with the new information, as well as filed a police report. I also am in contact wiht Waterstone, who report that this particular faucet with this particular finish is quite rare, and will be sending supplemental information as to how many were actually made/sold over the past few years (which is a handful).

I also have run a search of David Bates and found a criminal history record Case Number: Racine1993CN000821, for running bad checks, throughthe WI Admin Office of Courts. No surprise there.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/20/2013 12:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/David-W-Bates/Oak-Creek-Wisconsin-53154/David-W-BatesSoda-Bar-SystemsDB-Entertainment-stole-my-faucet-amp-sold-on-ebaynbsp-1060746. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on David W Bates

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Wrong report

AUTHOR: Ryan - (USA)

Oops, somehow I filed my rebuttal, "nice try Mike..." On this report. Ignore it, as it belongs on my report. Sorry, I've tried to delete it, but can't. Customer support is of no use either

Nice Try "Mike," aka David Bates

AUTHOR: - ()

First off, what kind of idiot do you think I am?  You use my full name as well as my WIFE's???  Rather than posting a rebuttal in an adult, professional manner, you just call us crooks and slander us on the internet?  And how dare you bring her into this.  The only way you know her name is beacause it is on our credit card.  Everything I said in my post was 100% true.  And this is your response?  Just saying it's all lies and we are crooks...  I don't have time for this kind of BS.  Just wanted people to know what kind of business you are running.  Wish I read all the other reviews on your company and on you, David Bates, one with a CRIMINAL HISTORY, before dealing with you.