crossed

• Submitted: Tue, April 04, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, June 03, 2006

• Reported By:Auburn New Hampshire
Days Inn West Palm Beach
2300 45th St. West Palm Beach, Florida U.S.A.
  • Phone: 561-689-0450
  • Web:
  • Category: Hotel

Days Inn West Palm Beach ripoff refused refund on room that was unacceptable West Palm Beach Florida

*Consumer Comment: Not Angry, just realistic

*Consumer Comment: Why so angry

*Consumer Comment: get what you pay for

*Consumer Suggestion: Independently Owned Excuse

My husband and I were delayed due to a major snowstorm in the Northeast. We called Days Inn West Palm and they said they had internet available. As we checked in at 12:30, we asked again- do you have internet, and they assured us it was free, available in every room, and it worked. We paid $122 cash because we had too much cash with us and wanted to get rid of some of it.

When we walked in the room, it reeked of disinfectant. Then we noticed hotel maids upstairs (double decker motel type days inn) pouring out buckets of dirty cleaning water-which was rolling right down our front plate glass window, into the air vent, and stinking up the room. In addition, the internet would not work. After less than 20 minutes, we couldn't get the internet to work on my husband's laptop, which was critical for his business, and we knew this would not work. We returned to the front desk and requested a refund and said we could not stay there because the internet would not work and the room stunk.

The front desk clerk and an assistant refused to give us our money, first lying to my husband and saying it was in the drop box and they would have to wait for the next shift to get more money. I did not believe that story and approached the desk and then the clerk gave me another story and said clearly he would not give us our money back.. While in the lobby, we called the Days Inn Corporate Complaint department and filed a complaint and received a number. Because this transaction was in cash , we also called the West Palm Police and they came out- the officers listened to us, said they said the knew the manager and they believed he would refund our money. The manager- Andrew Hill, was allegedly not available by phone that day, apparently, though it did appear to me that the employee in the back room called him, asked advice, and then continued to lie to us. We heard two employees talking in the room behind the front counter, saying they were not planning on giving out money back.

I called the manager Andrew Hill and left a message the next day, and the day after. He called back 4 days later, and claimed not to have spoken to his employees about the incident. He took a detailed report from me. He insisted he could not find a record of our transaction in the computer- not by name, time, or any way- so I faxed him a copy of our hotel bill, showing we paid $122.

Then there was silence. I called once a week for two weeks. Then we got a letter from corporate saying they hoped our complaint had been resolved. We contacted corporate, they said they would refund our money. Two weeks later they sent us a check for $65-which we have not cashed, since it is in the wrong amount.
We are fed up!!! This is a national hotel chain and I have never been treated so poorly.

L
Auburn, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/04/2006 05:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Days-Inn-West-Palm-Beach/West-Palm-Beach-Florida-33407/Days-Inn-West-Palm-Beach-ripoff-refused-refund-on-room-that-was-unacceptable-West-Palm-Bea-184930. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Days Inn West Palm Beach

Not Angry, just realistic

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

Giselle, $122 a night IS cheap, I travel to NYC and San Diego quite a bit and spend about $500 (actually my company picks up the tab) a night to stay in hotels that really are really kind of crappy. Even a nice hotel here in downtown Portland will run you about $300.

You would think that for $500 bucks a night the internet wouldn't constantly crash and it takes an hour to send an email.

So I just find it astounding that someone would spend $122 for a motel and be surprised that it sucks. And $50 a night, I can't even imagine that. What that be? The motel 6 in Amarillo?

Why so angry

AUTHOR: Giselle - (U.S.A.)

R in Portland wrote: There's a reason that the Days Inn is cheap and the Marriot is expensive, or did you think that someone who spends $400 a night on a hotel is just stupid and you're smart because you got a room at a third of the cost?

Huh? Where did that come from? Why so angry?

I don't think $122 a night for a room is cheap. I think $50 a night for a room is cheap. These people deserve a full refund. Its a reasonable expectation that an advertised service should be available.

get what you pay for

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

Remember, you're staying at a low-cost motel. This is what you get. And as far as the internet, it's pretty typical for it to be down at even the top hotels, and you have to pay when it does work.

I was recently at a Marriot where it was $9.95 to connect in the room and 22 cents a minute to connect wireless at the bar.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Independently Owned Excuse

AUTHOR: Deb - (U.S.A.)

Your experience is similar to mine and you may be interested to read my posting on the Wildwood, FL Days Inn listed on 10/28/05. It will give you an idea of how poor the customer service department is for Days Inn. Their guarantee of satisfaction means NOTHING and all complaints are met with hostility, incompetence, and finally the excuse that each hotel is "independently owned and operated" therefore, corporate takes no responsibility in the quality of accomodations you get.

My only advice is to accept the loss of money and NEVER stay at another Days Inn. It's been awhile since my experience but I continue to spread the word about this sub-standard hotel chain and would sleep in my car before stopping at one again.