Complaint Review: Deep Blue Watches

• Updated: Wed, October 30, 2013

• Reported By: Biglove — New Orleans Louisiana
Deep Blue Watches
1214 Broadway Room 404 New York, New York USA

Deep Blue Watches Warranty repair failure, defective product design New York New York

*Consumer Comment: A Year On

*Consumer Comment: Deep Blue watches

*General Comment: Deep Blue customer service

*Author of original report: Read the OP. Defective product with faulty repairs UNDER warranty...

*General Comment: ???

I have purchased five Deep Blue watches this year and have just been thrilled with them as a brand up until this time. My Bluetech Master 500, in green, has been a glaring exception to the quality I have come to expect from Deep Blue.

Watch model, Deep Blue Bluetech Master 500, was sent back for re-lume of the bezel after a number of pieces fell out of the ceramic. Two weeks later, some of the same and more fell out. (Keep in mind that this is NOT a watch that has seen more than a couple of weeks wear over a year!) Returned the watch to Deep Blue again, this time waiting over three MONTHS for it to be returned to me. And then things got messy.

The watch was returned to me by Deep Blue with the bezel now out of alignment, an impossible to remove adhesive residue on the bezel, lume filled in haphazardly and sticking out up above the bezel, and the zero at the "40" mark actually being place with dull, flat side facing out instead of the glossy lume side. [continued below]....

Have been in touch with Sam at Deep Blue via email repeatedly over the last few months trying to achieve resolution. Sam offered to re-lume the bezel again, for the third time. Told him "no thank you considering the bezel had already been repaired twice and their repair shop, JS Time, had made things worse." Made Sam aware that by all appearances there are multiple issues with the lume adherence on these bezels and sent examples found on forums and eBay. Asked if any new bezels in the original green or even a black/white or white/black bezel were available and none were.

Asked Deep Blue to offer credit towards a new watch as the repairs have been repeated without success and it appears to be a design/manufacturing defect. Was initially told no credit would be offered.
Sam asked his superiors at Deep Blue, I truly do appreciate all his efforts, and Deep Blue offered me $200 credit if I returned the watch. $200 for a $700 watch that is just now a year old and has spent four months back for repairs three times?! That low an offer is almost insulting.

I have even sent screen shots of multiple people having issues with the ceramic bezels, listings on eBay of this model with lume missing and reports of people having to super glue lume back in or having their all lume removed and the bezels repainted in an effort to avoid having the lume fall out.

Obviously this is a manufacturing issue with the ceramic bezels on this model and Deep Blue is NOT standing up to admit this and resolve the issue.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2013 11:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Deep-Blue-Watches/New-York-New-York-10001/Deep-Blue-Watches-Warranty-repair-failure-defective-product-design-New-York-New-York-1095901. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Deep Blue Watches

A Year On

AUTHOR: John - ()

Your point is taken, however, I can say from personal experience that Deep Blue does whatever they can to avoid responsibility for their products and/or their warranties.

I have purchased two Deep Blues. The first was the Recon model with the eta 2824-2.

When it arrived:
The case back was loose
About half of the bracelet screw bars were coming out.
I took a quick look and determined the movement was not loose or missing screws, grabbed my tools and loc-tite and went to town. I am a trained watchmaker in my own right.

When I outlined my concerns at the time, The headquarters in NY essentially said "It came from a secondary seller (Deep Blue Canada) so we are not responsible for its condition."

I must have forgotten or fallen too far in lust, because I just had to have one of the 7754s. I contacted the Canadian rep. He is a true gent, his courtesy and helpfulness deserve real thanks. A week later, it showed up:

When it arrived:
The case back was NOT loose because I had my case tool beside me and checked
Fewer but still some of the bracelet screw bars were coming out.

When I went to do the initial start pre- wind, it felt gritty.
There was slop in the minute hand
There was slop in the GMT hand
The setting stem and the chrono pushers felt gritty

I took it to my friend, the master watchmaker who trained me, explained what it was and the waterproofing. He got the caseback off, took a look and handed me his loupe. The movement had not been oiled and it was poorly mounted.

Strike one

He took another look and asked if he could service it for me, because he thought it was possibly an asian clone, not a valjoux. I left it in his more than capable hands and sent an email to Deep Blue and called their head office the next day.

When I got "Sammy" at the head office and expressed my considerable dismay at his QC, he said "well, we leave the screw bars loose so people can size the bracelets and then screw them down with loc-tite. I asked him why there was not, say, a piece of paper in the box saying "THE SCREW BARS ARE LOOSE. SIZE THE BRACELET AND TIGHTEN THE SCREWS." He had no answer.

I asked about the caseback from the Recon. He replied "you are the only one who ever had this problem." This directly contradicts an earlier email from Deep Blue:

"the 1st version of the Recon 1 had a few issues with the pins and screws ...and they did finally admit there was a issue from the Factory,
Then after that it hasn't happened since... until now ..on this one
I'm on a call with them in about an hour and I will bring it up ......sorry about that !!

Strike two

When I mentioned my serious unhappiness about the movement Sammy immediately said: "You should have sent the watch back to us right away. Because another watchmaker touched the watch, there is no warranty."

When I enquired about what he was going to do about his QC he said "You're the only one this has happened to"

Strike three

I have to put in a great recommend for Blue Canada. I would love to deal with them again.

It just won't be on a Deep Blue.

Deep Blue watches

AUTHOR: Bert - ()

There is a wide range of watch manufacturers; some are new and unknown while others have been in business for many years.  New watch brands, particularly those selling watches at above average watch prices, need to be darn sure that their quality control and manufacturing processes are perfect.  After reading the report on this brand, I would never purchase a watch from Deep Blue.  Stick with tried and true watches that offer excellent workmanship, materials and value.  Both Seiko and Orient brands come to mind, offering outstanding reviewed dive watches that are very reasonable.

#3 General Comment

Deep Blue customer service

AUTHOR: Alain - ()

I am a forum owner who has in the past written positive reviews of Deep Blue watches and owned several as well. With that said, the claim was posted on our forum as well as others. It was removed from several forums by the Admins of those forums. It is still up at mine. When I first saw the original post at our forum I attempted to contact Stan, the owner of Deep Blue watches without response. If this had been the first time I would have let it go but this is the second time that I have attempted to contact him on behalf of a forum member with an unresolved issue.

I have heard similar stores on other watch forums and I will also add I have seen positive comments as well. All of this should have been avoided by responding to the customer and to not have tried to make comments or claims of trying to screw the company. Not everyone is trying to get something for nothing.

If someone has any doubts of my comments about reviews which are not only on my forum but others, they are listed below. The real point of this is Deep Blue makes a decent watch but in my opinion, need to step up a bit in the CS department at time so these things do not end up here or elsewhere.

Read the OP. Defective product with faulty repairs UNDER warranty...

AUTHOR: Biglove - ()

Guess you didn't read the original complaint. The watch failure and repeated repairs and bitched repair damaging watch were ALL done while under warranty. Have bee struggling to get them to correct. Last repair took 3 MONTHS to be returned to me and was damaged upon return. Deep Blue apologized for the botched repair but will NOT replace the watch. I have twenty four emails documenting my communications with Deep Blue. It it is known in the watch community that there are issues with this model and that it is either a design or manufacturing defect that Deep Blue will not acknowledge or correct. Isn't hard to find plenty of others who have had the same or similar issues with this model and with their Chinese repair shop. do you perhaps work for Deep Blue?!

#5 General Comment

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

What do you expect them to do? Its a year past when you purchased it. Past that they have no obligation to really do anything. They ONLY have your word that its a manufacturing issue. And pulling up Ebay listings and forums is not evidence. Forums are so ppl can b***h and you dont have all the information of the products life on Ebay.

They dont know if your actually telling the truth and its a manufacturer defect and not just you looking for a freebee. They have to assume you are attempting to screw them.