Complaint Review: Desert Horizon Remodeling

• Submitted: Wed, March 29, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, May 03, 2006

• Reported By:Phoenix Arizona
Desert Horizon Remodeling
19301 W. Melvin Street Or 452 N. Saguaro Buckeye, Arizona, Mesa, AZ, Arizona U.S.A.

Desert Horizon Remodeling FRAUD - CRIMINAL - ABANDONMENT Buckeye, Mesa, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Bond & Attorney Issues

*Consumer Comment: Was this company even bonded?

*Consumer Comment: Watch this story on azfamily.com

In april of 2005, my husband and I refinanced our house and took out some of the equity to update our home as it is over 30 years old and was in desperate need of some critical repairs. We also have a 6 year old daughter with asthma and needed to replace the flooring and have the popcorn ceilings removed to help her breathing.

On July 22, 2005 we signed a contract with Desert Horizon Remodeling, Inc. for $61,542.00 worth of work - we paid them $40,000.00 up front by certified check with the understanding they would start on our job in 6 weeks and have it finished in roughly 3 months.

It is eight months later and all they have done is remove 60% of the popcorn ceilings - they said they couldn't finish the ceilings because they had to make it to another job. The dust from the ceilings is everywhere and I can't get rid of the carpets because Desert Horizon is supposed to remove walls, etc. so to do the flooring now will mean I would have to redo it once the walls are removed. I've been to the hospital in the middle of the night with my daughter 2 times in just the past 30 days because of all of the dust (by the way they never cleaned up their mess, they just left).

Doug is impossible to get a hold of, he even moved his business without any notification - he is a criminal - a thief. Shame on you Doug!! I've called the architect that was supposed to work on our plans and permits, he says he hasn't gotten paid by Doug. We talked to the guys who did our ceilings and they said they never got paid by Doug. The sales rep (Rod) quit because he was stiffed on his commissions by Doug....SO since it doesn't seem Doug can pay his people or complete his contract obligations WHERE'S THE MONEY DOUG?

My husband and I are working closely with Channel 3 News "3 On Your Side". Part of our story is scheduled to run on 4/4/06 - people out there need to be aware of people like Douglas C. DesJardins. Because of him, I will pay on $40,000.00 for the next 30 years and have nothing to show for it. I pray to god we make it through this nightmare and that man (Douglas Des Jardins)is held responsible for his CRIMINAL actions some day soon.

Melissa
Phoenix, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/29/2006 09:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Desert-Horizon-Remodeling/Buckeye-Arizona-Mesa-AZ-Arizona-85326-85201/Desert-Horizon-Remodeling-FRAUD-CRIMINAL-ABANDONMENT-Buckeye-Mesa-Arizona-184029. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Desert Horizon Remodeling

Bond & Attorney Issues

AUTHOR: Jerry - (U.S.A.)

Thanks for your suggestions...I have been speaking with an attorney to keep some options open, but Doug Desjardins/Desert Horizon Remodeling only had a $10,000 bond and that is expected to be depleted. As of today, 5/3/06, his license has been revoked 3 times in the past month or so for being disciplined for 3 complaints. And there are still 12 open complaints against him - mine being one. However, it is just a couple days until his work order runs out with my complaint and this defaults to a hearing. My attorney indicated that it should be fairly straightforward to get a judgement against him, but was not confident in being able to recover any money - for that reason I am sticking to the ROC process for recovery.

Unfortunately, R-TEK Services apparently cannot accept responsibility since the contracts of the complaints are not directly with them - even though they ended up doing much of the work!

Luckily, the ROC does guarantee the project, so they will disperse required funds to fix and complete the project after a hearing. My only problem is that I'm finding it impossible to get any other contractors to give me an estimate on the work, which is a prerequisite for getting recovery funds dispersed.

Was this company even bonded?

AUTHOR: Jesse - (U.S.A.)

I have a question since I am a journeyman carpenter by trade. I do know that construction company's including remodeling companies must be bonded through an insurance company in almost all cases.

If this company was Bonded then I suggest you get an Attorney who could file a claim for you against his insurance company who provided his bond.

Of course you can do this yourself but with my experiance with insurance company's. They will just fight you tooth and nail unless you have an attorney.

Hope I helped out.

Watch this story on azfamily.com

AUTHOR: Jerry - (U.S.A.)

I recently saw this story on Channel 3 and wanted to post a link that allows you to view it online:

Melissa, I am also trying to get work done by Douglas Desjardins at Desert Horizon Remodeling/R-TEK Services. The ROC has been very helpful and I hope they get your money back to you quickly!