Complaint Review: Dick's Sporting Good

• Updated: Wed, October 16, 2013

• Reported By: loulou — Asheville North Carolina
Dick's Sporting Good
107A River Hills Road Asheville, North Carolina USA

d**k's Sporting Good 30 minutes and the product was devalued by 33% Asheville North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Pretty Standard..

*Consumer Comment: Seem perfectly reasonable

So my son and I ran into d**k's Sporting Goods to pick up a pair of batting gloves. He's in high school and currently plays for three different teams: high school, county and travel ball. Needless to say, we shop there a lot. I purchased a pair of gloves ($30) and we left and happened upon another store that had the same gloves for half! Eeeek - so I purchased them and told my son we'd take the others back to Dicks.

We pulled up to the front (only 30 minutes after we originally bought them) and my son ran in with the bag. Somewhere between my car and the service desk the receipt disappeared. He came back to the car and we were driving down the road when I looked at the return receipt and asked why they gave him 21.39 when we paid 32.08 30 minutes prior. He said, "I don't know where the receipt went mom." So we turn around and go back and I walk in and ask the young girl if maybe it fell on the floor and I was looking arond for it. [continued below]....

..... She stood there with a blank stare and said "He didn't have his receipt so you don't get full credit". I said "We just bought them 30 minutes ago..." and then she just rolled her eyes and said "Sorry."

Meanwhile, I had picked up groceries so I had to get them home and I left. I'm at the mercy of a 10 year old running a service desk on a busy Sunday and she wasn't willing to refund my money. I stewed about it a little when I got home so I called the manager. Again, ATTITUDE. I told him the scenario and even said, "I realize my son may have dropped the receipt out of the bag when he came back into the store." The manager said, "Well why didn't YOU ask to see a manager?"... I felt like saying because I don't work there you jerk, but I didn't. Then he goes on in a condescending diatribe and says, "Well, she was following corporate policy and we can only refund the lowest price from the last six months. I am a customer as well as an employee. If YOU would've just asked for a manager we could've handled it right away by looking it up on your SCORE card."..... Um, why didn't the little girl do that in the first place?

He told me I could come back and he'd handle it but I haven't been back in that area. Why waste yet another trip over there to be disrespected again? I did, however, fill out there "feedback" survey online as well as have shared the story with all the parents on three different baseball teams and the 500+ ppl on my facebook. Oh, when I did that a friend just happened to send me a picture of the tag for those exact gloves - they're still marked 29.99! Luckily I told her where she could find them at half price!

My son has asked for a Demarini bat for Christmas so I will be going elsewhere.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/16/2013 11:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dicks-Sporting-Good/Asheville-North-Carolina-28803/Dicks-Sporting-Good-30-minutes-and-the-product-was-devalued-by-33-Asheville-North-Carol-1092351. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dick's Sporting Good

Pretty Standard..

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

First just so we have it right..let's sumarize what happened.

You purchased a pair of gloves and almost immediatly right after you stop at another store where they were 1/2 price.  You then return to d**k's to return them and your son somehow "lost" the receipt betwen the car and the register.  Now, did your son come back to you saying they didn't return it for full value...NO.  You just happen for some reason right out of the blue decide to look at the receipt while you are driving...how am I doing so far..pretty good...okay.

So then you return back to the store and even though the "10 year old" said it was store policy, since it wasn't your job to ask for a manager you left.  But you didn't just let it go..you then decided to call a manager.  Not only that but then you berate the manager because the manager said that you should have asked for one while you were at the store.  So then what does the manager do..they say well come back and they will take care of it.  Now of course that is not good enough for you...so instead of doing that you decide to post a RipOff report.

Yea..and THEY are the ones that are wrong..** rolling eyes **.

Quite frankly you are lucky they returned it at all.  I can name 2-3 stores off of the top of my head that will under no circumstance take a return without a receipt.  Not only that let's look at a different scenario(keeping in mind I am not saying you did this).  Say you purchase a pair of gloves at d**k's, you then purchase 2 pairs of gloves at this other store.  Now, you return the pair you bought at Dicks within 30 minutes saying "whoops I lost my receipt".  Now let's say they give you full value.  So now let's fast forward a week. You then take the 2nd pair of gloves you bought at the other store and take them to d**k's with the receipt that you amazingly "found" and again return them for full credit.  You do see the problem don't you, and why stores have these policies.   No probably not but perhaps others will.

So I hope in all of your Facebook postings you left them with the lesson learned....KEEP YOUR RECEIPT, and if your son can't manage to keep it for a couple hundred yards..perhaps your son needs to learn some responsibility and consequences.  Hey..how about making him pay you back for the difference.  Perhaps take the football coach approach for players that drop the ball.  Stick some glue on his hands so you can make sure that the receipts just don't get lost.

Seem perfectly reasonable

AUTHOR: ramjet - ()

If you don't have a receipt, they don't know what you paid. Many people will buy items at a sale price and try to return them later for full price.  You may not be one of the creeps but they don't know that.

I also seems odd that the receipt amazingly disappeared between the car and the service desk.  That seems strange doesn't it?  Also, why didn't you return it?  Did you think they wouldn't suspect a kid?

What they did was perfectly reasonable.

Keep track of your receipts folks.