Complaint Review: Direct Energy

• Reported By: No Vaseline — Houston Texas
Direct Energy
Dallas, Texas USA

Direct Energy Collection Recovery Fee + Late Fees Dallas Texas

My bill was due 4 days ago.  I went on line and made the payment.  There was something wrong with the site, so I called customer care to confirm that the payment had been received.  Once it was confirmed, I was informed that there was something that she must tell me. She advised that a disconnection notice had been sent out yesterday and that there will be $29.95 collection recovery fee added to my next bill for the automated-generated letter that was sent 3 days after my due date.

She went on to say that in addition to that charge there will be a 5% late charge.  The killing part about this fee is that it is based on the amount of the NEXT bill and not calculated based on the the value of the late bill.  So, if the bill which is paid late is $150 and the next bill is $350, you pay 5% of the $350.  I gave this same scenario for clarification purposes and the representative confirmed.  She then offered, if I am going to pay the bill late, that I call in on my due date and make a payment arrangement.

They will extend it out 8 days and as long as I make the payment within that 8 day period, I won't be charged the $29.95, but will still have to pay the 5% fee based on the next bill's amount.  If that's the case, why not just give a 8 day grace period?  Also, who charges almost $30 for sending out an automated letter?  Such a rip-off.  I am preparing this very instant to find a comparable service without all of the fees.  Ugh!!!  Ridiculous.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/06/2013 10:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Direct-Energy/Dallas-Texas-75266/Direct-Energy-Collection-Recovery-Fee-Late-Fees-Dallas-Texas-1104880. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Direct Energy