DIRECT TV was and is advertising the basic Entertainment Package (140 Channels) for $29.99 a month for one TV and 12 months including a free DVR. Supposed to save you $40.00 an month for the first year and $20.00 a month for the 2nd year. Sounded like a good deal for one of our rental homes so we accepted the offer after receiving verbal verification that we wanted no extended warranties, we only wanted the DVR if it was really fee, and it was to hook up one television. They told me that is how the order was is written.
When I received my contract there was no listing of a monthly charge but the first months payment was for $55.00+. I called and they told me my monthly payment would be $55.00+ a month. I asked what all the other charges were for and they provided this:
- YOUR PROGRAMMING SELECTION, SPECIAL OFFERS AND SERVICES
- Additional TV $0.00ENTERTAINMENT $54.99
- HBO STARZ SHOWTIME & CINEMAX $45.00
- Advanced Receiver $20.00
- Additional TV - 1 Client $6.00
- DIRECTV Protection Plan $0.0024 Mo
- First Bill*$55.99*Estimated first bill amount does not include sales tax, use or other taxes.YOUR
- 1DIRECTV Advanced WholeHome DVR$299.00
- 1DIRECTV Client$99.00
- 1 Cinema Connection Kit$0.00
- 1DIRECTV Slimline Dish$0.00
- 1 Instant Rebate-$99.00
- 1 Instant Rebate-$299.00
- Equipment Total$0.00ADDITIONAL
- Installation Fee $0.00
- Delivery & Handling Fee $19.95
- Tax $1.46 Order Total Paid**$21.41
I informed them that I explicitedly told them one TV and the DVR only if it was free. I asked what happened to the $29.99 per month . . and they said while the DVR was free, they charged $20.00 per month for programming it. And all of those other little hidden charges.
They said my monthly bill for the $29.99 Entertainment package would be $55.99 a month.
We told them to cancel the installation, cancel the order, and credit my credit card with the $21.41 charge.
Now they say DIRECT TV keeps no records of cancellations or closed orders and they cannot provide me anything in writing showing the order was closed and card credited.
As they have done in the past, I fully expect them to start billing me the $55.99 even though I supposedly have no account, no satellite dish and no service.