Complaint Review: DirectTV

• Updated: Sat, November 10, 2012

• Reported By: Cat — United States of America
DirectTV
los angeles, California United States of America

DirectTV is charging me ridiculous fees just to move my service... over $350 in total OR $500 to cancel service los angeles, California

*Consumer Suggestion: When you signed up for DirectTV in May, you agreed to two year contract...

I signed a contract with DirectTV in May I think.  I was assaulted by my roommate in September and was forced to move into a new house to avoid any further violence. The new location already has Time Warner so my first idea was to cancel the service all together and just split the Time Warner with the homeowner.  I contacted DirectTV and informed them of the circumstances and instead of allowing me to cancel they wanted to charge me close to $500 to cancel the contract fully.

In between dealing with my lawyer, roommate, police & landlord I had to deal with this possible $500 fine for cancelling the cable all together.  Then, I asked what my other options were and since the homeowner said no drilling for satellites I was then forced to seek either a pole or tripod for the satellite.  When I called back to schedule a transfer of location, they are charging me almost $300.00 PLUS the fee paid directly to the technician which is approx. $75.  Under the circumstances, I am floored at the lack of compassion this company has to a customer that is new and obviously dealing with many severe personal issues. I plan to report this to the BBB as well...

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/09/2012 08:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirectTV/los-angeles-California-/DirectTV-is-charging-me-ridiculous-fees-just-to-move-my-service-over-350-in-total-OR--967181. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirectTV

#1 Consumer Suggestion

When you signed up for DirectTV in May, you agreed to two year contract...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

with a pro-rated cancellation fee, This allows DirectTV to recover their costs over time rather than charge you up front. You also agreed they could use whatever payment method you used to obtain the service to charge any other amounts due them.

"Under the circumstances, I am floored at the lack of compassion this company has to a customer that is new and obviously dealing with many severe personal issues. I plan to report this to the BBB as well..."

Businesses are not able to deal with your "severe personal issues." they are in business to hopefully generate a profit.

I would be interested in just what you're going to report to the BBB,

What part of the agreement or the law did they violate in their dealings with you?

Perhaps you should also forward your complaint(s) to the FTC, Dep't of consumer affairs, your state's attorney general, Rush Limbaugh and Mom.

Sorry for your troubles.

"I had to deal with this possible $500 fine for cancelling the cable all together.."

What "cable" were you cancelling? You were signed up for satellite service, weren't you?