Complaint Review: DirecTV

• Updated: Sun, March 16, 2014

• Reported By: Devonrex2 — Idaho Falls Idaho
Greenwood VIllage, Colorado USA

DirecTV charged for and can't cancel free trial Greenwood VIllage Colorado

On 2/14/14 I called to change (downgrade) my DTV package.  I was told that I had a "free" trial period to Showtime added.  I told them I didn't want it, because I literally never watch movies, but the representative said it was an automatic thing, and I could call and cancel it "anytime" in the next 90 days.  On March 7, 2014 I got my bill and I had been charged $9.65 for a partial month for the "free" trial. I called and the representative did take the charge off of my bill, but told me that if I didn't have the service for at least 30 days, he would have to charge me to cancel it.  He told me to call back after 3/15/14.  I called 3/16/14, and was told that I couldn't cancel it without paying a cancellation fee for thirty more days, and I had to call exactly on 4/5/14, and that I might see a charge on my next bill, which I could have removed when I called back. When I asked why they said I could cancel "anytime" in the 90 day period, the CSR told me it was due to the billing cycle, and I had to wait until 4/5/14 to cancel without paying a cancellation fee.

First, why would I have to pay for a "free" trial?  Second, what does "anytime" in the next 90 days mean? Third, why  did the original rep tell me he had to offer the trial even if I didn't want it?

This is a classic bait-and-switch. I would change providers, except that there is a (large) cancellation fee to do that too.

I have had DTV for years, but as soon as I am able to, I am gone, never to return!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/16/2014 08:54 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirecTV/Greenwood-VIllage-Colorado-80155-6550/DirecTV-charged-for-and-cant-cancel-free-trial-Greenwood-VIllage-Colorado-1131034. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirecTV