Complaint Review: DirecTV

• Reported By: dbprgray — Mars Hill Maine
DirecTV
Newark, New Jersey USA

DirecTV Early Cancellation Fees Newark New Jersey

I have been a DirecTV customer since 2007.  I pay for equipment insurance and had to replace a receiver that overheated in November 2012 through my equipment insurance plan so that I could continue my service with DirecTV.

I cancelled my DirecTV service last week because their prices are becoming ridiculous and was told I had an early cancellation fee.  For what?  The gentleman told me they would waive the fee because the equipment was replaced under the protection plan - but I received the final bill today.  They are charging me for early cancellation.

When I contacted them they told me I had to pay the fee regardless of the equipment protection plan explaining that, when I got the replacement equipment that extended my contract with them.  Of course they will waive the fee if I stay - well duh, I wouldn't be cancelling then, there would be no fee.

They also offered me my package for half what they had been charging me, free movie channels and Sunday Ticket for free for several months.  I asked why they didn't offer the discount before I cancelled, they asked how they would know I felt it was too expensive if I didn't complain?  What? As long as you are willing to keep paying their high prices they will keep taking your money and not offer you any discounts.

I have no choice but to pay the fee because it will be deducted from my debit card anyway.  I feel this policy is wrong also, as I am not authorizing a charge to my account.  The insurance plan should have covered any "fees" for the replacement equipment - which I have returned.

When I called about the fee I was quoted a higher balance than what is on my final bill.  They have also charged me an early cancellation fee on my equipment protection plan that is not even on the final bill I received.

I am feeling ripped-off with no recourse.  This is definitely a company that should have the label, "Buyer Beware!"

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2013 03:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DirecTV/Newark-New-Jersey-07101/DirecTV-Early-Cancellation-Fees-Newark-New-Jersey-1070610. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DirecTV