Complaint Review: discount mountain software

• Updated: Fri, December 28, 2012

• Reported By: James — Columbus Ohio USA
discount mountain software
1730 Blake St. Suite 430 Denver, Colorado United States of America

discount mountain software discountmountainsoftware.com This web site is a rip off! Dont buy from these people! Denver, Colorado

*General Comment: a good company

*Consumer Comment: Good experience - good service

*Consumer Comment: Some buyers like to promote good companies

*Consumer Comment: Multiple Purchases without licensing issues

*Consumer Comment: My Experience

*Consumer Comment: Almost Bought From Discount Mountain (Response to Chris)

*UPDATE Employee ..inside information: Employee Response

*Author of original report: Fake positive reviews

*Consumer Comment: Great Service

*Consumer Comment: Discountmountainsoftware.com Fantastical Experience, Amazing, Great Service, discountmountainsoftware.com,

*Consumer Comment: Discount Mountain Software was good to me

*General Comment: CONSUMER BEWARE

BEWARE!

I ordered software from this company. When it arrived *3 weeks later!* I found out it was bootleg / fake software!

I tired calling them to get my money back and they would just hang up on me.

I have filed a charge back with my credit card company to try and get my money back.

Don't do business with them. Its not worth it!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2010 02:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/discount-mountain-software/Denver-Colorado-80202/discount-mountain-software-discountmountainsoftwarecom-This-web-site-is-a-rip-off-Dont-566877. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on discount mountain software

#1 General Comment

a good company

AUTHOR: Carol - ()

In regard to Discount Mountain Software, I feared that I, too, had not gotten a genuime Windows product.  However, my Windows Anytime Upgrade, which enabled me to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional was genuine.  I could not find many places where I could even get as Windows Anytime Upgrade.  I would definitely get siftware from this company again.

Good experience - good service

AUTHOR: KevinPhilipsBong - ()

Discount Mountain Software have provided my company with 80+ upgrade licenses to Windows 7 Ultimate.  Purchase was handled professionally and all licenses registered without issue with Microsoft.

I believe the company is legitimate from this single experience, and intend to use them again in the coming months.

Some buyers like to promote good companies

AUTHOR: Cooltooler - ()

In reference to buyers not going to a complaint site and entering a good review after purchase; This is a personal preference. I personally reviewed multiple sites reviewing DMS and found the overall rating to be very good. Good companies will have complaints, no way around it. The difference is whether or not the company has affiliation with independent complaint resolution sites, and DMS does, and the overall rating based on multiple sources of information, not just one. Yes, I will enter a good review at a complaint site if I review, purchase, then find the poor reviews are undeserved.

Multiple Purchases without licensing issues

AUTHOR: Cooltooler - ()

I have made multiple purchases from Discount Mountain. I have purchased OEM and Promotional label software without any problems during or after install and license registration. I recommend this company to anyone who understands what they are buying. If you don't understand, ask. They are more than happy to answer questions by phone or email.

My Experience

AUTHOR: David @ ABC - ()

I am writing this because I was worried I had been ripped off by them and found this report.  After getting in touch with their customer support and resolving the issue over the phone I decided I should let others know.

When I called I had to leave a message for a call back.  When they called back a friendly voice greeted me and walked me through the activation process where the product was then activated and then validated thru Microsoft.  I had purchace a Branded version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  I was worried from the start with it being branded but I thought I would give it a try.  Everything installed ok and I thought it was activated but apparently on some of these branded ones they don't activate like normal and you have to manually do it.  Occasionally you have to call the Microsoft number for activation to be validated with these branded versions.

This isn't my first experience with them.  This is just the first time I have gotten a branded product from them and the first time I got something that said it wasn't genuine.

Oh and James real people do post positive reviews on complaint websites.  In my case it was only after having a similar issue as others on this report.  I will admit some of the ones on this report do look fake to me, too.

Almost Bought From Discount Mountain (Response to Chris)

AUTHOR: Lawrence - ()

I have heard many times "If it is too good to be true then it usually is" and that was my first thought when I found Discoutn Mountain looking for Windows 7.  I searched for some reviews on google and found this page.  First off I am very happy that an employee would take the time to defend their case which made me feel better about discount mountain.

However, I also found a few other message boards that guided me into some contradicting statement from what Chris had to say.  After doing my research, I decided to spend the extra money and buy a safe, positively legal copy with support from Microsoft.  Below are the two links that greatly swayed my decision.  (One from Microsoft directly and the other about Software Piracy Violations that they already have been sued for).

They have many good reviews and seem like they may be legit.  At the same time I would feel much safer doing it the way Microsoft recommends and avoiding any headaches or possible problems to my PC.

#7 UPDATE Employee ..inside information

Employee Response

AUTHOR: Chris V - ()

I work in customer service at Discountmountainsoftware.com. I would like to respond to a few of the posts on this thread and provide some assistance to those who might have had issues with their orders and make assurances that we take customer service very seriously.

With regards to the initial post on this thread, we do guarantee that all of our software is 100% genuine software. In no way do we sell bootlegged software. We ship all of our products within one business day of ordering. Our normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM Mountain Standard Time. We can be contacted directly during those times by calling 1-866-641-2563. We are here to help.

I can say with absolute certainty that our reviews are genuine and not fake. Along with having an “A” rating with the BBB we have thousands of reviews on sites such as Google, PriceGrabber, and Nextag. Positive and Negative reviews can be found below on those sites. We take the time to respond to negative review directly with the customer.

We encourage our customers to call in with any questions about our products. We sell a variety of types of software for many different users including Branded OEM’s, OEM’s, Retail products, Promotional Labels, and Academic software. Any questions regarding these can be answered with a quick phone call or by clicking on the link titled “Packaging” on all of our product pages.

Fake positive reviews

AUTHOR: James - ()

How many times have you ever bought something then decided to go to a COMPLAINT website and post positive reviews...never right!
You can tell fake positives reviews by the way they bash other reviewers negative reviewers instead of sticking to their own review and experiences.
The three positive where most likely posted by the owners to cover up their terrible service.
Nice try lol... if you stop scamming customers you would not have received terrible reviews..OK thanks!

Great Service

AUTHOR: mamasHouse - ()

I ordered a Windows 7 operating system and got it in the mail. I had trouble installing it because i am an idiot with computers. When i called Discountmountainsoftware.com at their phone number on their site. I got a gentleman who walked me through the install and the activation. It was the best service I had ever received from an online retailer.

It looks like they have either changed their ways or a few people didn't let the company correct their issues. I will be returning to them when I need other software!

Thanks,
J

AUTHOR: FloodFloyd - ()

I just did business with this company, against the advice of other users on rippoffreport.com, because they were the only merchant that had the Office and server product that I needed. I got the product and it was exactly as they described it. I ordered a "branded" server and when I clicked the description it broke down exactly what that meant. I still had questions and I called them and got a helpful, pleasant, ENGLISH speaking young lady. I highly recommend giving them a call!!!!

I received my product within their estimated 3 to 5 business days.

AUTHOR: FloodFloyd - ()

I just did business with this company, against the advice of other users on rippoffreport.com, because they were the only merchant that had the Office and server product that i needed. I got the product and it was exactly as they described it. I ordered a "branded" server and when I clicked the description it broke down exactly what that meant. I still had questions and I called them and got a  helpful, pleasant, ENGLISH speaking young lady.

I got my products within their estimated 3-5 business days in the mail. When I got the products I called Microsoft to verify that they were legit copies and guess what? THEY WERE! I HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE AND WOULD DEFINITELY DO BUSINESS AGAIN!

Discount Mountain Software was good to me

AUTHOR: USArtguy - (United States of America)

I only have one experience with this company and I must point out it was several months before this complaint was filed. Things may have changed since then but I had an excellent experience with them.

Before I relate my experience, the reason I have had only one transaction with them is because I only use Macs and I by far use Adobe products more than any other software. They didn't/don't sell a lot of software for the Mac and for some reason they no longer sell Adobe items. They did for a while back in 2009/2010 though and that's when I bought the full version of Adobe CS4 Design Premium for Mac. They had the best price by a couple of hundred dollars and had good consumer reviews elsewhere. Still, I had not done business with them before and was a little apprehensive about shelling out a large amount of money.

I called their customer service line and got through immediately. I spoke with a very nice woman who explained that their software was genuine and that they had just started with Adobe as a reseller. She was quite patient and answered every question I had. What struck me most was that she did not pressure me to buy anything at all. In fact, she encouraged me NOT to buy anything right then and to think it over for a few days if I was not comfortable then call back when I was ready to order. No other company has done that with me.

I decided to take a chance and my copy of CS4 arrived in about 10 days later back in 2009. It was a legitimate, legal copy in a fully-sealed retail box. It was however, the "international English" version (for example "colour" instead of "color") which I wasn't expecting, but that is a minor inconvenience. It works flawlessly to this day and I was able to register it through Adobe. So here it is December 2012 and I want to upgrade to CS6. I am very disappointed to learn they no longer sell Adobe products because going through Adobe proper is quite expensive. I don't know why they don't sell Adobe stuff any more, but if they did, I'd be calling them. If I were interested in any of the other software they do sell I wouldn't hesitate call.

#13 General Comment

CONSUMER BEWARE

AUTHOR: smitty1 - (United States of America)

I purchased a Windows 7 32 bit software upgrade for a Gateway laptop for $80.  When the software disks arrived they read HP install disks with a note explaining not to worry that the disks would work on my system (Clue #1).  Soon after install the wireless driver would not work and I had to keep restarting the computer.  Then i received an error message that I had a counterfeit copy of my operating system.